Wanted - 308 GTB | FerrariChat

Wanted 308 GTB

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Yoric, Sep 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    In the market for a 308 GTB. Preferences: driver category not concours, carburated, no rust/accidents, clean title, condition trumps originality, service history/records, blue/red/yellow/red exterior with black/dark interior, near CO or facilitate transport. Honestly state mechanical & cosmetic needs, price, location. Pics a must. PM or email <[email protected]>.

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    PM answered

4. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

You have given me an incorrect email address.

5. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    My email is: [email protected]. Difficult/unusual spelling because of my Portuguese last name. Please try again or call me as per my latest PM.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How is your search going?

What would you value a steel 1977 with 39K miles?
    Yellow/black

Boxer trim

Factory colors.....

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Big Tex
    Thanks for asking. So far I've received only two responses with fantasyland prices ($115K & $97K) which certainly, at least in my opinion, do not fit in the DRIVER category I specifically mentioned in my thread opener.
    As to your question regarding yellow/blk with Boxer trim, I'd hate to hazard a guess not knowing any specifics. Condition and needs as much as mileage would likely be among the foremost determining factor for me. One of our members bought a 77 or 78 GTB (black/red) last week for $54K as stated in the 308/328 section. I'm sure it has needs but the pics look pretty darn good--too bad it wasn't me who bought it but then I won't go anywhere near eBay, and less and less to BAT.

8. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Gtb values are still strong but off from last year.
    I agree, fantasy for most gtbs at those prices and (if drivers and not #1 cars)
    But a nice number 2 could be in the mid $80ks-90k

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fresh paint...fresh interior, runs strong (if a tad rich, IMO)....

It may be the stress of the hurricane, but I will let you know what I decide.
    Good luck with search!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think that is true across the board, except for the modern MT cars...

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Too bad on the EBay no-go...there's a dry sump on auction that I've had a bid on for a month at $80K but the reserve is something higher...you never know unless you try. It's up by a dealer in FL for $129K though...

Happy hunting!

12. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Hope the hurricane leaves you and yours in peace. Do let me know what you decide when you do, either PM or email me.

13. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    No real prospects so far. Fewer B's than S's as we all know but even so, cannot figure out why so few private sellers. Depressed current values (see beautiful $60K 328S in this thread) no doubt also must be taken into account. Dealers who've approached me privately are still holding their GTB's at year-old prices. It's an impasse because even though no one "needs" a Ferrari I still want one. So, I'm putting an artificial expiration date on my search for these elusive early GTBs--when it's no longer fun but a chore I'll probably move on to something else. To paraphrase Peter Egan, I'm a curious but fickle motor head.

14. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    If dealers are asking too much, no private sales that are reasonable,
    Could be the market is shoring up.
    Owners are holding until the market comes back. Either way, you will probably pay more than you want if you really want

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    '76-'77 GTBs in the $70-90K realm still sell with speed of sale dependent on price matching quality. I don't think you'll be finding anything much less unless at auction and with luck there as well. Just as finding a QV GTB under $90-100 is a hard job. These cars are way more rare than GTSs...at least here in the US, so your hunt will take more time. Persist!

16. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So you're of the opinion that a QV GTB is a 90-100k car while an early US Carb GTB (76/77) is a 70-90k car? (not being sarcastic, genuinely curious if you've seen these cars trading at these numbers. I don't pay close attention).

17. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    I do but I am biased.

B + Q.V. = Hard to part with. I think owners that have them know if they sell them there is zero chance they will ever own one again. Throw in Euro and they are almost a unicorn as they are all being shipped back out of country.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yes. QV GTB is super rare here in the US. The 76-77 carb GTBs are rare too but I believe there are more out there. I prefer the carb GTBs but I think more folks want the QVs so they fetch a bit higher price. I haven't been running a spread sheet or anything, but I think I'm pretty close with these numbers.

19. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Yoric,
    I happen to Have a 77 GTB ser # 21217 That would fit your search..Rosso Chairo, Tan and black interior. Formal appraisal. indicates 79,000 +CAD. It's a great car both mechanically and cosmetically however it does have some flaws like no AC (removed but in hand.) A couple of small paint chips but touched up.
    Lh window regulator is NFG and channel is worn but have replacement regulator and channels in hand.(install required) Don't have anyone out here to work on my car so..Other than that its a head turner condition wise and pulls right up through redline ..I'll make a video walk about and demo drive and post the link here for all to see.
    If you like more info contact me . 204 381 6295 or [email protected]
    Regards,

20. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Yoric, It sounds like Squirrelmonkey has the car you are looking for!

21. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Thanks George,
    Lest I forget that I have the tool kit,belts,Emerg trouble light, Jack, leather bound manual etc..even had the original bill of sale until my Monkey found andliked the taste of that rice like paper !! Geeze.

22. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Squirrelmonkey,
    A message is on its way to you.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012