Kline Innovation Exhaust | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Kline Innovation Exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flea7, Jul 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, big two thumbs up to James of Vivid Racing for the outstanding customer service.

Flea7 likes this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It would be good to hear the difference with factory cats vs. test pipes.

3. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Been seriously considering the Fabspeed X-pipe...why do you think it doesn't produce the high pitched exhaust note? I like the idea that they offer a direct replacement for the muffler without having to replace the rest of the exhaust. Maybe that's the issue? I would get the valve controller and then be ahead of a Kline or S-line in terms of price. And no love for iPE here? I've heard some amazing sounds, but think most of them are straight piped and I'm not into being that loud (or delete my cats).

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Again, IMHO, .....from the sound clips Fabspeed has put out, the pitch is not as high....to be honest I think it sounds terrible. Some people may have a different opinions on it and that's fine.

As far as price, .....if you think you're ahead of Kline or S-Line by paying $2700 just for the small x-pipe portion of the Fabspeed system..well, I don't think your considering value correctly. Have you any idea what that would sound like? (serious question) Me and others here paid just above that for a whole system shipped. Also, the Kline system does not share an exiting pipe like that of Fabspeed or S-line which appealed to me. The dual exhausts are true like the factory and not fake.

As for IPE, I honestly don't know much about the system. I saw one impressive clip on youtube and it sounded good. It may have been my second choice.

Again, I'm not paid by or work for Kline. TO ME, ...the Kline is just the right pitch and has options for me to enjoy my car.

As I said before, It's personal taste. Get what works for you.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on! :)

cavlino likes this.
  5. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thank you for the kind words. Happy to assist.

-James

6. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    As a quick side note as well, we are a distributor for Fabspeed, iPE, and the majority of other brands out there, so if I can assist with any of those as well, please let me know. Always happy to assist however I can.

-James

whatheheck and Flea7 like this.
  7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Great but looks like the sound clip was in an empty warehouse ?

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It may be in a parking garage?

9. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    So happy that there are others out there that went with AP headers and stock system, found it to loud and went back to all stock as I did, I think going back to AP headers and Kline with stock CATS may be THE best solution for piece of mind regarding pre-cats and satisfactory volume level, I'm now very interested!!

10. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Great info! Thank you....I'll look into the Kline and S-line for sure. Fabspeed offers discounts to F-chatters, btw...so $2500 but, no matter. Appreciate the thoughtful response. And no...I have no idea what any of this sounds like other than youtube vids, which doesn't tell me what they sound like in person.

11. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Dan, what is the normal loudness of your system now that you have done what you've done to the exhaust system?

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi John,

StickBreitling expressed it very well:

AP headers and stock muffler = medium loud at idle and low RPM. Very loud with valves open
    AP headers and Kline muffler = quiet at idle, screams at around 45000RPM and up like Formula 1 race car engine.

But folks, always remember, to each his own. What may be just right for me may be too loud or too tame for you. So do whatever puts a smile on your face.

As far where the video was shot. I took the video at the mall parking garage.
    I dont have a tripod for my cell phone so I thought I can capture the sound very well even in the driver seat if I do it in a parking garage as the sound will reverberate.

Hope that helps.

Dan

13. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Just FYI, the top bracket doesn't fit. I sent video to Kline and they said they will make one and send it to me soon. I currently modified the stock one to make it work temporarily. Not ideal as I don't run the bottom mount as it restrict any movement.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing important info Andie.

That's just the thing, how is the owner / installer supposed to know how the Kline exhaust is supposed to be mounted properly in the absence of installation instructions?

Similar to you, I wanted to use the top bracket for better and more solid exhaust support but it wont fit so I gave up on that idea. I actually wasted almost an hour trying to make the top bracket work....

So I guess I will now contact Felix too and ask them to send me a bracket as well.
    Dang.....frustrating......

15. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm about to fit Fabspeed headers to replace the OEM headers for reliability, but I'm concerned about the volume of noise and droning during cruising. From researching the forums, the Kline exhaust seems to be the best way forward to reduce the "around town" noise and provide a nice crisp sound under load at high revs.

Does anyone have a video or sound clip of the system while driving down the road with headers, standard cats and the Kline exhaust?

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hey Andrie,
    If your talking about the bracket in red in the drawing, I don't know why you would need them.
    They're just extra weight. It supports the factory pipes that clamps align the 2 pieces evenly. It's not needed in this application. Correct me if I'm wrong but the S-Line exhaust do away with them as well.

Could you maybe take a picture of your setup?

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yep, that is exactly the brackets we are talking about (marked in red).

Seuong, you dont think its necessary to use them to better support the Kline exhaust?

Dan

18. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Superb write up, photos and video.

In terms of the F1 scream sounding exhausts out there, I'd say there are 3 choices:
    - Kline, has exhaust valves so it can be quiet when you want to be. Choice of materials to balance out the cost
    - IPE, also has exhaust valves, but seems like the most expensive option. I think they only make it in inconel.
    - S line, lovely sounding but no exhaust valves

I actually found when driving around with the valves under the cars control, when you punch through the high revs the car sounds absolutely brutal. Even with overrun the scream carries on until the revs drop back down. I just think with the valves closed there's a greater build up of back pressure until the car opens it's valves, then an almighty scream is let loose. Also the car is quiet until you get to the range when the valves open.

I still haven't grown tired of doing that. The best thing is that I can do this at legal speed limits. Stay in 1st gear then take it quickly to 30mph.

whatheheck and Flea7 like this.
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hi Dan,
    No, I don't. The Kline is lighter than stock. It really isn't heavy and it's one piece (I think this is the biggest reason) and not two like the stock. When I try to move it ...it's solid with the 4 connections.
    Many aftermarket exhaust exclude the part in their installation as well. It didn't phase me to exclude it when I was installing it....just made sure all was solid.

In saying that, do what make you feel comfortable with the install.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Good explanation and breakdown Stick!

whatheheck likes this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Finally stopped raining here in Seattle today so I unplugged the vacuum hoses and went out for a 3 hour drive.
    Holy crap! This exhaust screams big time at higher RPM revs.

Another thing I notice the revs are much smoother as it appears the engine breaths better.

Stick said it very well mentioned above.

So far, Im very pleased with the outcome. No regrets at all.
    I love the Agency Power headers and Kline Exhaust. Its quiet at idle, even cruising around town at low RPM but once you get on her at around 4,500 RPM she really screams like Formula 1 race car engine big time. Best of all - zero issues. No check engine light or any issue (I have stock cats)

I highly recommend getting the Inconel button so that you can control the valve anytime you wish.
    The valve closed at low RPM also provides enough back pressure to promote low end torque.

And ensure the Inconel valve controller you buy works for the F430. The one for the F430 has 3 connectors and is plug and play. No need to cut any wires to tap power from.

I will try and shoot more videos sometime next week as Im off to Vegas this Friday to attend my niece's wedding.

Dan

22. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Yes, I do believe this is more important support than the bottom one IF you're using the factory mounts. The top has a flex bow that allows for movement/expansion. The bottom is very rigid and doesn't allow any movement.

True, other aftermarket solution just include the bottom mount. However, all other aftermarket mount is not rigid like the factory, rather they have sliders to allow movements/expansion.

whatheheck likes this.
  23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Yeah,
    I get what your saying but I have to disagree about the bottom bracket.
    When I was fixing the problems my testpipes I had to "jimmy" them off, the bottom exhaust bracket did get some movement.....it flexed about an 3/4" of movement back and forth and that's why I believe its the shape that it is and believe it designed to have movement. Unfortunately, many has cracked but that was with the top bracket in place as well.

I do agree with you that the bow bracket served as some flex but I think it was mainly to support 3 pieces of the factory exhaust unit and to help line them up squarely.

That's my thoughts on it. I haven't run into any problems so far .........but do what you think you need to do. I don't think it will hurt to add it .....but I don't think it's needed.

whatheheck likes this.
  24. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    The first thing I did on my car was to remove the lower bracket, even when I was running factory header and exhaust. I ran without them for over 2 years.

If you bolt the bottom mount tight, it will allow zero movement. When you "jimmy" them, you had to have the bottom mount lose. It is a clamp after all.

25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Andrie,
    I'm not trying to be argumentative ....but when I "jimmy" the test pipes off I only loosen the clamps that's attached the test pipes. The exhaust bracket with the U-clamps were still tight...that's when I discovered the play in the brackets and the allowance to take off the test pipes.
    ...but again, whatever work for you ...it's all good! :)