Would you trade your 308 for a 360? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you trade your 308 for a 360?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Formula Uno, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Apples and oranges. 360s are amazingly capable but the 308s are more engaging to drive.

2. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    I had a well known collector offer me a mint condition black on black 360 F1 spider, serviced with only 6,000 miles on it, for my euro 308 GTB qv about a year and a half ago. I said no.

To be honest the 360/430 shape hasn't ever appealed to me. They are beautiful cars but it will never be the icon that a 308 is... and value wise, they have been moving in different directions. The 360 is near its bottom point, 308 (at the time) was climbing. Also, I've got to have the gated shifter man. :) Keep the 308... better investment, probably rarer (depending on the version you have), more beautiful, and it's iconic.

Dino246gt and Bullfighter like this.
  3. DinoRossa

DinoRossa Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Chris Mulvena
    I bought one of each!! Red 308GT4 and a Black F1 360 Spider. Took the GT4 out for a spin the other day and reminded myself why I liked it so much. Will sell the 360 one day but will probably keep the GT4 till I die!!

dinogt4guy likes this.
  4. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I'd do it for sure if it was a manual 360

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. j9fd3s

j9fd3s Rookie

Apr 12, 2006
    it is very easy, especially on the internet, to just assume a larger number; like HP, means something is better. what we really want from a car though is fun, and more engaging = more fun.

my friend has a Lancia Scorpion, and as far as performance goes, its numbers are very modest. however the car really makes you drive it, and so its really engaging, and its really fun.

vaccarella likes this.
  6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If I still had my 308, but yes I would. 308 is a wonderful car and I miss it's beauty, it's now truly a classic. For me personally though where I am at in life I am losing patients for "classic" and that would be the only reason I'd do it.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I considered 360s when I was Ferrari shopping. Own both? yes; Choose one or the other? I would keep my 308.

I don't know what it is like to own a 360, but the 308 experience has just so many collateral benefits that outweigh its lack of modern performance.

It seems to be so approachable; strangers like it. I never sense envy or hostility. I enjoy taking it out.

I bought the 308 because it looked simple enough technologically for me to maintain it myself. I wanted a car where maintenance was part of the car hobby. This is proving true. I have two old BMWs (E30s) which are of OBDC1 vintage; the electrical stuff is simple, but is much less fun to work on than the 308. 360s have more electrical stuff than my BMWs.

The surprise with the 308 is just how many home mechanics there are maintaining their 308s themselves. The 308 has given me a huge cadre of friends. They are a crazy bunch whom I love. Now that they have let me into their circle, I wouldn't trade my 308 for anything for fear of jeopardizing those friendships.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    The thought of a 360 is in my mind lately. Especially that is a safer car than my gt4. I've been going on short drives with my 10 yr old boy and the car is smaller than anything on the road

JV's89 likes this.
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No one loves a 308 more than I do (and I really really mean that) but it would be nice to be able to outrun a new Toyota Corolla stoplight to stoplight. :p

10. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
  11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    For a 360?

Not a chance in hell. Not for ANY of them EXCEPT MAY-BE an F40 or Daytona.

That is ONLY an HONEST 'MAY-BE.'

Bullfighter likes this.
  12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #37 bernardo66, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    When I get challenged at the red light, I am quite honest and I tell them that they would flat out beat me. And their retort is almost the same: "Yeah I could beat you...but you got the Ferrari!!" and most drive off with a smug smile. ;)

13. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The 360 is a foot longer and wider than a 308 gtb. Keep the go-kart. :)

thorn and dinogt4guy like this.
  14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm surprised the 288 didn't make your MAYBE list. :)

15. 308 Rascal

308 Rascal Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Des League
    :D

16. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    It depends on what you really like to do... I brought my Dino gt4 to a Cars and Coffee and got to talking with a guy would have a 360. We traded keys and took each other cars for a ride. He came back grinning like and idiot and exclaiming how wonderful the cars sounded and how involved you were to drive it and how it made him fell like he was sitting on the road in go-kart. I came back and told my buddy (who I had taken with me) that the 360 was far in advance of my 308, quicker, faster, smoother, easier to drive and significantly easier to live with. I also said my 82 year old mother could drive it...
    Do you only eat or like one thing? I look at old cars like food... Sometimes I want pizza and beer, other times I want Tuscany's. My SL500 is extremely competent over the road but driving it is like sitting in a big leather chair. It is a very nice chair in traffic but not on a mountain road...

308 Rascal and vaccarella like this.
  17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am surprised how many times the opposite happens too. Some hot car comes screaming up to a stoplight beside me, sees a Ferrari, and, when the light turns green, putt-putts away declining a race. (If they only knew ...)

308 Rascal likes this.
  18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Usually these kind of cars wait for me to move ahead, hang around for a good rear quarter view + badge check and then move to pass with a thumbs up & a grin. Because I drive a LH car in a RH country, I see that really close up :D

otoh, I've no doubt a 360 would get the pedal to the floor challenge every time.

308 Rascal likes this.
  19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Believe it or not, not a fan.

If another marquee built the 308 GTB/S, Id still HAVE A 308.

I just WOULDN'T HAVE a Ferrari.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Just last night, I was at the front of the line as it turns green, down goes the pedal and the 355 comes screaming to the next light. An SUV managed to keep up and as he rolled up to the light, he motioned with his hands for me to rev the engine. It turned out, he was treated to the full bypass sound of the 355 and wanted to hear it again. Fast or slow, the Ferrari makes that oh so sexy sound.

21. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Not a 360... never like the styling. Modern? I have better ones.

22. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I realize the thread is specific to 308's, but I probably wouldn't trade my 328 for a 360.

I would probably seriously consider trading for a nice 308 GTB, or maybe a well-sorted, non-spider 355.

Rich in Panama City likes this.
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    360 Modena, gated straight up for my 85 308 GTB QV? Yes.

24. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    See now I wouldn't because of engine out 355 maintenance costs

25. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    I got a good laugh from the hot car stories. I too was sitting at a light when I Hi-Po rice rocket slid alongside. When we exchanged glances the driver yelled out something about how fast his car was but his buddy looked over at him and said "that, is Ferrari and yours car is still just a Toyota..."