Exhaust System options for a SCUD - test pipes or 200 cell cats? | FerrariChat

Exhaust System options for a SCUD - test pipes or 200 cell cats?

Discussion in '360/430' started by houseofschnell, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. houseofschnell

Jul 5, 2017
    I recently bought a 2008 SCUD that already has Capristo headers. I am torn between Capristo twin sound muffler+test pipes vs. Capristo twin sound muffler + 200 cell sport cats. I live in Florida where we do have 93 octane gas and no emissions testing. I do plan to keep the car for the long term. I do not want for the car to sound obnoxious at all times. I am looking for better/more sound especially on the downshifts. A little flame spitting every now and then would be much appreciated too.

I am concerned about CELs but Capristo does offer 02 Sensor Simulator which supposedly removes CELs.

Any input will be much appreciated!

2. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I helped a friend install test pipes and a twin sound on a 430. He already had fabspeed headers.

The first time I started it up in my garage with the valves open, I couldn't shut it off fast enough. It was just insanely loud, even with the valves closed. Personally, I couldn't handle it. He lasted about 2 months before reinstalling stock cats.

As a point of comparison, my 360 has headers (the receipt says "tubi" but there are no logos on them), kinetix 200 cell cats, and a Tubi muffler. It's loud enough that it's triggered a car alarm on start up. Borderline obnoxious (some may say well past the border) but it's nothing like the 430 was. The F1 on his car made it worse. While I can at least make gentle downshifts, every downshift with the F1 was an explosion. I couldn't get out of it fast enough.

3. Maxi_Z

Maxi_Z Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Monaco
    I have a 430 scuderia fitted with capristo headers decat pipes and full exhaust.

With the capristo full system and decat pipes the car is not that much louder than standard at low rpm with the valves closed and there is no noticeable drone compared to other exhausts but as soon as the valves open it s really really loud.

4. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Its Joe at Fabspeed Motorsport USA.
    Here is something to ponder. HJS German 200 cell tri-metallic sports racing catalytic converters FLOW 93% of a straight pipe. The factory Scuderia / 16M headers from Ferrari are poorly designed BUT dont have the OEM precatalytic converter jammed into the 4 primary tubes on each side.

So Ferrari on the Scud/16M already added some power and of course made it louder by eliminating in the concept design phase the pre-cat on each V8 engine bank.
    Next the rear Scuderia/16M exhaust is extermely short to the center outlet pipes--- this agin makes the car sportier and more aggressive.
    Depending on how much more you want catbypass pipes "100% open" or true German imported Emitec 200 CPSI catalytic converters 93% open BUT 35% quieter (my personal estimate of sound reduction versus NO CATS) I would lean towards HJS German high-flow catalytic converters.

5. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a set of used scud capristo cats (200 cell) if anyone's interested. comes with o2 spacers to elimate CEL.

6. Emersito

Emersito Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Palma Mallorca
    Full Name:
    Emersito01
    Please send me pm or [email protected]

7. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    I too am interested - please msg me if still for sale - [email protected] Thx.

8. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Its Joe Fabiani president and Ferrari club member from Fabspeed Motorsport USA

we just received a large shipment of HJS German imported 200 cell directional sports race catalytic converters and are starting a production run of F360, F430 and F458 and F488 sports racing catalytic converters. Ferrari Chatters these and always have been the real deal............. HJS German imported Emitec all metal proprietary wash-coated catalytic converters that flow 93% of a straight pipe. Depending on the size of the HJS German catalytic converter core we can get flow rates of 95% of a straight pipe. Your car will not pick up any additional power with no catalytic converter and your car or any car will typically make more power across the RPM band with a quality freeflow catalytic converter while being emissions complaint.

Take a look at our website and check out the Video explanations from Ferrari to Lamborghini to McLaren Fabspeed Motorsport has the German sports racing catalytic converters to really add superlative sports car sound, power and reliability too. For you Exotic car enthusiasts, Exotic car collectors and fabrication shops Fabspeed Motorsport is HJS Germany's exclusive North and South American trained distributor/ dealer and we sell HJS Catalytic converters and components.

Collectors take note: Fabspeed Motorsports for over ten years experience RECORING- Ferrari F355, F40, and even F50 factory OEM catalytic converters that have failed for Concours purposes and more more reliable power and for emissions purposes. Often this rare cars factory OEM catalytic converters have failed or have been destroyed/cores knocked out and Fabspeed cuts open the Ferrari cases and inserts the very latest 2017 OBD2 European 5 rated 200 cell catalytic converters. This makes the 1980s to mid 1990s Ferrari have much better modern 2017 technology catalytic converters designed for OBD2 but flow much better and scrub the exhaust versus a set of 1980t o 1990s $30,000 factory catalytic converters. After we are done you can not tell we replaced the cores its all looks OEM concours stock. we can often do this for any exotic car brand too , inquire.

Ask for Travis Moran and our team at Fabspeed Motorsport USA

Our OPEN HOUSE EXOTIC Car show is Saturday October 7th.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    S Line.

Sent from my 16M