328 Key Advice | FerrariChat

328 Key Advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rossocorsa1, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I just purchased a USA 89 328 GTB. It only came with one original set of keys. I have a few questions:

- My SAFE key has series of four numbers begining with the #2 on the SAFE side and no numbers on the Torino side. Does this mean my key is a #2?

- I wish to make a replica set of OEM keys and another less expensive set of keys as a back-up:
    A - What is the best selling source for OEM blank ignition and SAFE keys?
    B - How do I know they are the real deal and not a cheap knock-off?
    C - What's a great option for a less expensive backup set for both ignition and locking keys?

- Lastly, where does one go to have these keys cut to be sure it is done correctly?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Take a look at any old key thread in this section - I'm sure there are many - the alternative blanks are Alfa type and any good car keysmith should be able to help

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I took my 328 keys to a locksmith. $5 and 5 minutes later I had 2 spares that work. My original folding key doesn't leave the house.

Ferrarimicke likes this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's a generic FIAT blank that works with these. Like Jim I took mine down and had some made. The original folding key is known for breaking either at the fold or having the key itself twist off.

OEM are no longer available. Someone ran up some replicas a couple of years back. If you look around you might find a supplier.

F50 keys can be cut to match, but those blanks are almost impossible to find now. They look great, though.

edit: I found an old post of mine: "The ignition key blank is a Taylor V72E and the other key looks like it says "Poorkey 728 1/2", but it's very hard to read."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I have a few of the folding replica spares if you want one.

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    That would be great. I'll shoot you a PM.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    If you want an original key or replica, as noted, they are available. If you just want keys that work, the local hardware store can do that. My everyday keys are from tru-value! As others have done, I keep the original keys at home with the original toolkit/trouble light/leather owners manual folder.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yes, that's my plan as well. I am just trying to find a source for the OEM blank keys so I can have two sets of originals, then I will also have a "everyday" set.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a F50 key cut for my 328 which I use everyday. Why not enjoy the finer things in life. Life is short. I do have a spare, uncut F50 key for when I lose this other one.

10. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Cheers to your new purchase, do you have pictures to share??

'89 GTB is a rare car to come by.

11. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I purchased a couple of Sigmacars keys a few years back and they are almost impossible to tell from my original.
    Easy to deal with too.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Still looking to purchase a couple blank SAFE/Torino keys. Does anyone know where I can find them?

13. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Be careful posting photos of keys! Very accurate copies can be cut from these photos. http://jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/news_releases/release.sfe?id=791

http://jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/news_releases/release.sfe?id=791 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Got your PM, I'll get back to you ASAP.