Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    NOTE: dealer says that 5 spoke is a 19" wheel

They really need better wheels on these cars.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Always interesting the dichotomy between F-chat enthusiasts and general public re the Cali. No one has ever mentioned the chunky butt, challenged looks, etc. of the Cali in the 18 months and 10 K miles I've had it. Mostly, it's "Holy Carp, is that really a Ferrari?!?"

T

good2go likes this.
  3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    That is one beaut!!! Even though I traded in my Cali T for a 458, I still miss it. It again is a very elegant car with class.

good2go likes this.
  4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    458 Spider?
    You miss it like we miss all cars, or you REALLY miss it like maybe it was a better choice?

We are picky bastards. Spoiled too.

5. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I found this photo on a German website. I LOVE the Portofino's lines!! I'm treading on dangerous ground when I say this, but I feel that anyone who doesn't believe this is a beautiful car is being disingenuous. You may not believe it's the prettiest Ferrari, or perhaps you believe it should be more Ferrari - maybe you believe it should be less aggressive, and more elegant - I'm not suggesting it meets everyone's idea of what a Ferrari should be, but I am suggesting if you look at it simply for what it is, badges aside, one has to agree, in the world of automobiles, this is a beautiful machine. I make this point, not only to praise Ferrari on its success, but also to point out that this observation is a big deal. How so? I'm not convinced you can say the same about some of Ferrari's offerings over the past decade. The Portofino, I think, will have MANY admirers, and VERY few sincere detractors.

Attached Files:

perrinnation likes this.
  6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    lol. That's silly.

Rear end is ugly. Plastic hunk hanging out.
    Sides are overdone and yet still rather square and boxy, again emphasizing the black plastics.
    Front, Rear, Side views of the car do not flow like the F12 or the 458 or the TDF.
    It's a beautiful upgrade ... to the Camaro. Kidding. Mostly.

Need to see it in person, but the lines on 488, Lusso and this look to be drawn increasingly with a fat charcoal not a sharp pencil like the last of PF. And so much plastic exposed.

furoni and gt_lusso like this.
  7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    good2go likes this.
  8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario

I liked the Portofino from the first moment I saw it and if someone asks me why I can’t give a straight answer but I’ll try to explain with some examples. Having owned before an early California that I liked and enjoyed, I learned to appreciate the versatility and the qualities of a Ferrari GT/convertible. I observed through time the California lines from almost every angle and became aware of the design difficulties that the rear section posed due to the fact that the boot has to have enough height and volume to store the roof when the top is down. In the case of the California even Pininfarina house with it’s long experience, creativity and credits, wasn't able to tackle absolutely that design challenge and the result is that the California rear section when the top is down looks elevated in relation to the rest of the car specially when you look at it from a profile angle. IMO the Portofino has that design difficulty solved in a much better manner because when we visualised the car from a profile angle, like the one in the picture you posted, the transition lines to the rear section are smoother and the boot height at least visually looks lower. The Portofino boot design has improved substantially and IMO when we see the rear side it’s noticeable that the larger separation of the two taillights has improved significantly the car looks from that angle.

Someone said here before that the Portofino reminds him of a small F12 and despite of the fact that they are different models I can visualise in the profile of the PF GT with the top up, some similarities. The Portofino aesthetically is different from the California and a completely new car and to my eyes a beautiful one.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Big difference between one person's' car in person and debating a car online. (Look at the mondial hate online versus reality).

Even an individual's car, some people online are rude if they don't like it. In person people don't randomly call someone's wife ugly either.

(Plus there is an issue with cars looking better in person than photographs... but I think it's more the combination of general debate versus individual's car and online versus in person behavior)

4th_gear and tomc like this.
  10. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I do think certain colors work better with the grey bits.

11. JMC08

JMC08 Rookie

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm curious as to whether the dual tone paint scheme (black roof) will be a common option on the Portofino. Have yet to see any with it. I think Enzo red (Rosso Fuoco) would be stunning with a black roof. Overall, I think the Portofino is gorgeous.

lucasines likes this.
  12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I too love the car but now it is a fastback, I don't think it needs the contrasting roof so much, it tends to break the flow to my eye.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Very much looking forward to the first test drive reviews

The new improved chassis should shine!

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As I have posted before, with Ferrari at the top of their game and criticism of the Cali still ringing in their ears and this being a clean sheet design, the PF is going to more than live up to expectations, a proper Ferrari.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    How about carbon rear bumper? Painted rear bumper?

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Painted is something that might help. Need to see it. Still a very odd set of shapes back there. Looks like plastic rocks at a child's playground.

17. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Well beauty is subjective to a large point, that's true. But come on, that's nuts to suggest that the Portofino isn't a big step forward to the Cali. Btw congrats to all of you who have such distinct opinions without having seen the car personally.

The question if the changes are big enough to justify a jump from Cali T to Portofino is a personal decision. Put it the other way round: I really wouldn't want to drive around in these old Infotainment systems.

However, the reason why so many people in the US ask a question like this is bc used Ferraris don't have a lot of depreciation. I think this is gonna change, in general but for the Cali T especially. Portofino is such a step forward that the Cali deserves a discount. It's a much bigger step forward that 458 to 488: New model, not facelift and both cars already have Turbos - so no extra money for exhaust sound that helps the 458.

XDINO likes this.
  18. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    since when has using the word 'ugly' to describe a car become a rude remark?
    just because you own the cali doesn't mean other shouldn't make any criticism about the appearance of the car.
    and if you are implying your car as equal to your wife, i feel sorry for her.

19. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    always funny to see someone coming out to defend the righteousness of their purchases. look, the world is fine even with our difference in opinions. you can drive your dream car cali all over town and brag about how beautiful it looks. on the other hand you aren't gonna change my mind about how ****ty it looks by putting me down as one of the generic persons from 'general public' who according to you doesn't know anything about ferrari. my original comment was about the car, not you, no need to take it personal dude.

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Where'd this come from?
    Do you frequently say in person to someone that his car is ugly?
    It's about etiquette.
    A general comment about the style of a car is fine.
    A personal shot at someone's personal acquisition is not.
    (Not that a spouse is an acquisition... but the analogy stands).

My comment was about common courtesy. General discussions of aesthetics in cars or people or art is fine. Nasty comments on one person's choice is not fine.

Debates over the new car in general is a good thing. Taking a shot at a member's car choice is not.

Not difficult.

4th_gear and SAT4RE like this.
  21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    So don't be ****** and crap on someone's happy dream. Phrasing personal dislike for a new style is easy without doing that.

I personally don't like what the initial cali did with the tail lights. I have commented that it even kept me from buying the car.

Still managed to congratulate new owners on their dream car.

4th_gear likes this.
  22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Got to say I dislike the ugly side of Fchatters more than the shortcomings of any Ferrari model!!!

Bundy, XDINO, kevinof and 4 others like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My reply was not to you specifically, but more a comment on F-chatters. So, no offense taken on my part. Look through any recent thread on a newly revealed Ferrari and you'll see a large degree of angst, longing for the days of Pininfarina, LdM, or Enzo, hand wringing over whether new corporate RACE has ruined with hallow marque, turbo tech as the first step toward a dystopian future with a self-driving electric Ferrari SUV , etc. I'd argue that by recent F-chat standards, the Portofino reveal may be the most enthusiastic reception amongst the F-chat faithful.
    T

Dohangs and MDEL like this.
  24. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    #224 faykau, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    great! now you are calling me ******.
    talking about hypocrisy. i never knew nor care if you own cali or not. my comment was not directed to you, it was a sheer opinion on the aesthetic of the og cali. you are the one who took it personal and making indirect yet obvious jab at me for being 'rude'. i was simply quoting and rephrasing your analogy to demonstrate how condescending you sounded. if my word ruin your experience on cali you definitely has a problem with your confidence in making choice.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Anyone have a guess when the Portofino configurator will be up and running in the US?
    T