California Fees - buying car out of state? | FerrariChat

California Fees - buying car out of state?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by American, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Hey friends :)

I have a great friend who is pretty well-versed in dealer knowledge. He presented to me knowledge today that had me worried, and questioning, the accuracy of such.

Here's the jist:

IF a car has been registered in California, and then later registered to an outside state, you owe fees on the car when bringing the vehicle back into California, if that period of outside registration is less than 3 years.

Example, if the car is registered by owner 1 in California. Sold to New York, and owner 2 registers and drives it for 1 year. Sells it to owner 3, who is back in California, owner 3 is responsible for DMV fees adding up to $8,000 or so (plus sales tax, and registration).

Is this accurate? I have not yet heard of this.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    This is accurate. Registration fees on a newly acquired car is basically sales tax.

You think California is going to let a chance to tax a car multiple times slide?
    It kind of sucks if really. If you think about it, the government is literally getting tons of tax revenue from a single car, maybe even more than the value of the car itself if it changes hands enough times.

3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    wow damn i have never heard about this...but definitely something to watch out for. Sucks to be stuck with thousands of fees after u finally managed to get back from out of state. Good info for CA buyers

4. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Hey Bob, thanks for the response.

Just to clarify:

For example, if I purchase a $150,000 458 (using simple numbers)

Sales tax @ 8%: $12,000

on top of that, I need to pay an additional "x" amount of money due to the car having been registered in California prior (unless the car has been registered for 3 years or more in another state)?

Or are you simply stating that I'll need to pay sales tax + registration (which I am well aware of).

Thank you!

5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Your original post had a scenario of 3 different owners.

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Double check on the California DMV website, but I'm 99% certain there is no "penalty" tax for registering a previously California registered car in California. It wouldn't make sense; that would incentivize buyers to buy out of state cars, which sends that juicy dealership corporate income tax money out of California.

7. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Hello sir, not sure why that is relevant? Could you elaborate? My original scenario is just an example.

In the example I've given in my prior post, I would be the "3rd owner" technically. Though that isn't of importance; my question is more of a generalization of "if the car has been registered in California recently (less than 3 years ago), are a ton of penalty fees required to be paid when re-registering the car in California (outside of the normal registration and sales tax).

8. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    As of right now, the current knowledge being given to me by another CA dealer is that the penalty cost does in fact exist. Though it doesn't make sense to me, and I would lean towards your reasoning.

Hoping a dealer or CA DMV enthusiast can chime in.

So far I do very much appreciate your input however sir

9. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    This will be of interest to me as well, I've bought a few cars out of state, paid the standard fees (I believe them only to be sales tax, which hurt, but no additional "registration fees" atop those). Last one I bought in Detroit, had to pay their fees there, then when I arrived in CA paid a little more as our fees here were higher so they deducted the Detroit fees from the CA fees. Am not aware of any such "penalties" you speak of but will await hearing from those much smarter than me to chime in with personal experience. Have you tried calling the DMV?

I sold a car the beginning of this year the process has changed a bit making it more confusing when there is a bank title involved, they now issue the new owner only a temp registration even if the loan is then paid in full until such time as the actual pink slip is issued... this can create serious concerns on the buyers side as it will show them not as the owner but a bank lien until a couple weeks later. AAA knew nothing about this when we went there then headed over to the DMV to take care of transfer. It'snot clean cut like it used to be with this new year change.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    In late 2010 I bought a Cali in Dallas and shipped it back to California. Just usual sales tax and registration fee. Registration was 1% of value as I recall. And it depreciates every year with car...

SV

11. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Was your car previously registered in CA?

12. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    American,

The CA DMV website has a calculator that will tell you the cost to register the car and a breakdown of the various fees it is derived from.

Sales tax is not something unique to California. Most states charge sales tax each time a car is sold. Montana is the only exception I know of.

What obbob states is not quite accurate. The sales tax in your hypothetical situation is around 8%, or $14K, depending on the county you live in. The registration will be around $3,500, which is composed of a bunch of various fees (or taxes). A few of the individual fees are for "re-registering" the Car back in California. It is these fees that are generally thought of as a penalty fee.

It's a bit of a misnomer as a similar situation applies if the car had remained in California but the owner had let the registration lapse for a few years. Unless the car had been put in non-operational status, it too will be subject to "catch up" fees once it is again registered in CA.

Being a CA native in the military and moving around frequently, I've been subject to both scenarios.

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    PS. - Since you pay sales tax only once, the trick is to buy AND pay taxes in a state/county where the taxes are the lowest before you bring the car to CA.

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nope. New to California.

DMV does have an online calculator.

SV

15. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    As the above post says, use the online fee calculator on the CA DMV site and you'll have the answer.

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Don't know the deal here

Yet CA is looking to avoid people taking CA cars to other states for shell corps to do the plates.

17. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    The only time, I've heard of this additional reg fee charge happening is when the owner who originally registered the car in Cali, doesn't bother to notify the California DMV that the car was sold to someone out of state (which requires just a simple SR22 form). He then get's the reg fee notices every year, but just ignores them and tosses into trash. Then when someone tries to bring this car back into CA, when this person goes to try and register, then he has to pay all the penalties and back reg.