Pointers for cam shafts set up? | FerrariChat

Pointers for cam shafts set up?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Pero, Sep 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    These are on the right side of the cam covers on my Mondial QV pointing at the cam gears. Likely to have something to do with timing the cam shafts. But, what is the practical reason for having them? How are they used?
    /Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    They are used to more easily confirm/deny if a timing belt has skipped a tooth (without having to remove a camcover). They aren't used for precision setting, but they can quickly confirm/deny if a belt has skipped a tooth or two (and, therefore, justify that removing the camcover is necessary).

3. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Thank you! That makes sense.
    /Peter

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you change the cam belts you have to ensure these are in line, with a line stamped on the cam shaft ( between the sprocket and the cam cover, look for a flat with a line on it)
    You need to be sure it is on the right stroke and all 4 pointers will line up- you need to get right above the mark to be sure it is correct.

5. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Thanks Mike, I'll be careful with that! Wasn't sure they were original or not, haven't seen them on any exploded view. No such things on the GT4.
    /Peter

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They are only fitted to some mondials, i dont think they are on the us version.
    Look on different diagrams on the eurospares site and you will find on some models of mondial