Just installed CS TCU and now clutch is slipping? | FerrariChat

Just installed CS TCU and now clutch is slipping?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Virulosity, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just got my TCU back from eric355 and popped in. Before driving the car I checked the PIS with X-Diag module from mechanicservice666, and it said the current value is 4.3mm. Seemed low, but I thought I would go for a drive. Everything seemed good until I drove the car with more than 30% throttle. The car is basically revving up and then settling back down in every upshift, like it expects the clutch to be out sooner than it actually is. To see if it was a clutch wear problem I did a hard acceleration from a stop and it lit up the tires no problem. Any ideas on what to try? There is a lot of data I can extract from the X-diag but I am not sure what I should be looking for.

As a side note but also interesting:
    When I bought my car it made a gear scratch/thunk noise when shifting from 2-3 and from 4-3. When I put in the new ECU the sound seems to have disappeared from where it was before but now makes a loud thunk when shifting into 1st from a very slow rolling stop. I was sure this noise was a bad synchro, but now I am thinking it has to be something electronic like actuator centering or something because the sound changed.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think the new TCU needs setting up by a pro with SD2. Mine did. Took half an hour max.

3. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You are right :)
    I wanted to see if there were any easy checks I could do before doing that. For example, is it worth doing a clutch bleed? Is there a DIY for that on the F1 cars?

4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Do a test with a tech. 3 sets. Start from dead stop on level, downhill and uphill. Adjust the PIS after evaluating all of them. Get the PIS gap down as small as possible without dragging. Mine is set to 3.79mm and meshes nicely. Don't worry about the thunk going into first. I don't shift until the car has stopped. The CS TCU is more aggressive and the shifting is part of it. You want the robot to bang through the gears. This should be what you are hearing. A solid thunk and clank and feel the vibration but no scraping or grinding. If you really want to se F1 trans tech in motion I'll try an find the test video on youtube. It's awesome.

5. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    Looking forward for the video

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Samiare likes this.
  6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
  7. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    Hahaa thanks mate. Now im terrified about our f1 gbox. Looks more complicated and lots to repair if one of the component failed. Hmmm

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hey no worries. The F1 system was pretty well refined by the time the 360 was built. The Maserati tech who did my PIS test drives with me is starting a company to rebuild the actuators, including the VVT actuators on the top end. Haven't talked to him in about six months so not sure how much time has or how far along they are. He did a great job and also helped me with my O2 sensor and Exhaust ecu check after I swapped them last fall.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Robert, I set the PIS at 4.3mm so that you can drive the car (no drag). It is a starting point which requires to be reduced most of the time. Unfortunately, as far as I know, X-diag is still not able to enter decimal values. So don't try to play with your PIS value otherwise you may end with a choice between 4mm and 5mm. Note that 4mm could be not too far from what you need.
    With the X-diag, you can initiate a self-learn. Do that, it will update the engagement and selection Windows of all gears to match your gearbox (forks travel range, cloking of the potentiometers, ...).
    When you have access to a tool which can enter decimal values, set the "new clutch value" at 15.1mm which was previously in your TCU.

Finally, it is pretty common to have some RPM surge of a few 100RPM (300 or 500) during upshifts. My 360 was doing that (even with its OEM TCU), and I know of other 360 and even 2 CS which are doing the same.

Optimize the settings and let us know how it works.

10. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    Eric , i sent a pm to you recently. Im interested in reflashing my tcu to cs spec. Pls advise.

Thanks
    JJ

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    PM sent ...

12. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Eric, thanks again for doing this, it is already much better than before. The local shop can't get me in for over a week so I was trying to do what I can. I did try going to 4.0mm with x-diag and didn't notice much difference. It sounds like a little surging is normal so I am probably not too far off. One thing I did see in x-diag is that my F1 pressure pumps up to 50 bar and then rapidly bleeds down to 45. Maybe a leaky bleed screw or normal, just another thing to think about. I will update when I get it into the shop. Thanks

13. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I didn't know that you can set below 4mm! That sounds like where my car may need to be.

14. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Update:
    Just got the car back from the mechanic. He tried adjusting the PIS but it never behaved as quite as expected. He said he thought it was a sticky throwout bearing possibly causing issues, and we went ahead and replaced the clutch and flywheel as well to be sure. Of course, my car had the old style ring gear so add some more $$$. Unfortunately, after driving it again I can't notice much of a difference. Here is a video I made to try to catch what is happening, but strangely you really can't tell from the video except for at about 2:43 when I am full throttle but under 6k rpm. I feel like its slipping and surging at least 2000rpm on upshifts at full throttle, and it is slipping up to 3000 rpm taking off from a stop. Any other ideas?

15. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #15 mkzhang, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    It looks fine? (in the video).

Can you put it into 6th while cruising at ~2.5k rpm and floor it?

EDIT:

Upon closer look, your first take off the clutch doesn't completely clutch out until a second or two in at 3k rpm? The initial response seems fine. I think it is either you are on the gas very aggressive which the car is trying to launch itself, or ask the tech to give you the CDI reading (clutch degradation index).

A clutch is around 3k, and a number much higher than that, the TCU will take longer to close the clutch because it doesn't think the clutch can handle the torque by closing too soon. CDI is constantly being updated each time the clutch closes.

CDI needs to be reset each time a new clutch is in, or else the TCU will continue to slip it for longer, until over time it learns the clutch is biting stronger then it shortens the slippage time. But by then you will have worn the clutch more than it should of been

Virulosity likes this.
  16. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is interesting info. I have been reading lots about setting up the F1 system to try and fix this and the only variable that is discussed is PIS. I will have to see if I can reset the CDI with X-Diag. I also saw in another thread that it is believed that new clutch closed position affects how the car drives as well. Is this correct? Do you have a good explanation for how to tune these values to get it driving right?
    Thanks!

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Do a search on installation of the CS TCU. Member Rustybits has a comprehensive set of instructions that should have been followed. One crucial bit of information was to note the new closed clutch position that was in the original ECU and enter that value into the new ECU before driving the car. The new closed clutch position has a major effect on how the clutch engages. If all of the mechanical components of the clutch are in good condition, then between adjustment of the closed clutch position and the PIS you should be able to get good clutch engagement. When the CDI is reset its value is 4000. After driving the car if everything is good, it should stay close to 4000. It is is less than 4000 then the clutch is set up tight, higher than 4000 then the clutch is set up loose.

Virulosity likes this.
  18. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is fantastic. Exactly the information I was looking for. I am assuming that the mechanic input the new clutch closed position when he put in the new clutch.
    So in my case with excessive slip the plan of attack should be:
    1. Drive the car and get it up to full temperature
    2. Park the car key off and insert dongle
    3. Key on and reset CDI
    4. Perform self learning
    5. Set PIS at lowest setting that will not allow output shaft to spin in reverse with car on jack stands
    6. Drive the car 50-100 miles?
    7. If not 3750<CDI<4250 add or subtract 1mm to New clutch closed position? (Subtract for higher CDI, Add for lower?)
    8. Repeat until CDI is in range

Is this a good methodology for getting the car set up right?
    Thanks again for shedding more light on this. I will do a search for the thread you mentioned and post a quote of it here.

19. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/faq-how-to-upgrade-a-360-f1-tcu-to-a-360-cs-tcu.239882/#post-142225332

"The CS tcu won't work properly and leave you with blank display/improper operation unless you carry out the following with an SD2:

1. Plug in an SD2, and on the parameter page, read the "new closed clutch position" and note it down (FROM YOUR ORIGINAL TCU)
    2. switch off the battery
    3. Swap it out for the new t.c.u
    4. switch on the battery, switch on the ignition and leave for thirty seconds.
    5. plug in the SD2. On the diagnosis page, write the original closed clutch position figure into it.
    6. Set P.I.S. to around 4.7 to begin with.( this can be played with later to suit)
    7. Now on the diagnosis section of SD2, a FULL cycle test has to be carried out.
    8. Next, under diagnosis section, carry out a self-learn. At this stage, you will probably still see a blank screen.
    9. Switch off the Sd2 and then the ignition. Leave it for thirty seconds, then switch the ignition back on and manually run up and down the gears.
    By this time you should see your display working and gears should all be selecting as they should. If it's all o.k you just need to fiddle about getting the P.I.S setting right until the change is quick.

I've been fitting CS tcu's to standard cars since they came out, and this method works every time..."

20. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fyi CDI and PIS are not related. PIS controls how quickly the clutch kisses, CDI tells it how long until it should slip until the clutch is completely closed.

I am not sure if CDI can be used to measure whether CCP (clutch closed position) is correct or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_K_348 likes this.
  21. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    not sure I follow what you are saying. PIS is a unit of length in mm. CDI is probably some unitless dimension that shows a moving average of how much slip is occuring (is my layman understanding of motob description)

22. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    CDI is a unitless dimension that is a moving average, yes. But it does not represent how much slip is occurring, it actually represents how much slipping the TCU will apply until fully letting the clutch close.

The normal logic is: once the clutch kiss the flywheel (@ PIS), the TCU will gradually close the clutch over a period of x mili seconds where the by the time the clutch is closed, the engine is delivering y torque to be able to fully move the vehicle.

When the CDI is high, the TCU thinks that if the clutch closes by x mili second, the clutch can not hold the torque and will therefore slip and or burn up. So the TCU will attempt to close the clutch at x + n mil seconds, and therefore taking longer time to deliver the required y torque to move the car. Inducing more slippage as part of the taking off process.

23. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Interesting, I would have thought the best way to save the clutch would be to drop it as fast as possible rather than add extra slip time. The only reason to slip at all from my knowledge is to prevent stall and lurch from happening. I will hopefully have a chance to play with the new clutch closed position later this week and report back with more video.
    Thanks

24. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've driven my friend's miata with a dying clutch, if I let out too fast the car will just sit there while the clutch is slipping not moving the car--not only is the car not moving it is also burning the clutch, that is what the tcu is trying to avoid.

25. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I did some driving tonight, unfortunately it appears that X-diag cannot reset the CDI, mine is stuck at 3378. Also I cannot change my new clutch closed position it is 15.6. I did pull down the PIS from 4.17 to 3.98 which helped a little, but not enough. I need to find someone with a leonardo that is willing to let me borrow it in southern california.....