Ferrari vs McLaren my take | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs McLaren my take

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe some but certainly not all. A blanket statement regarding a general population is a sure fire way to have your point be lost...

2. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Here's a news flash....The general population could care less about exotic cars (old and young).

3. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    That's just trolling now.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    My take of where the 2 companies rate as of today -

1. 488 spider
    2. 570 spider
    3. 720 coupe
    4. 488 coupe
    5. 570 coupe
    6. portofino
    7. 812
    8. Lusso

so seems pretty evenly matched imo

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Drove the 720S yesterday. My advice to all those who love high performance cars, do yourself a favour and experience it for yourself.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Purchased my 458 spider 3 months ago and have put 2000 miles on it. I buy my cars to drive not sit. It's kind of like when I had a boat at the marina. When I went to the boat we took it out and went somewhere, maybe just a cruise on the big lake, somewhere to get dinner or maybe a trip to Chicago, Milwaukee or up the coast of Michigan. Most of the people in our marina NEVER took their boat out (gas too expensive I guess) their boat was basically a floating condo.

ScottS likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What surprises me most is the constant, incessant conversation centered around depreciation. There is no topic on this forum that garners more discussion. Purchasing a car that can buy you a nice house is not a prudent, wise financial decision. Cars are depreciating assets. If that fact is really bothersome and keeps you up at night, invest in bonds.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Only mildly IMHO - saying the MP4/12C (the first draft for the new McLaren road cars) is better than a 488 is not obviously sensible either; the MP4/12C was actually having a hard time against the 458.
    Cpncluding the 720S is a better car than the 488 is debatable but certainly not ridiculous.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Since the poster owned both cars, his preference is based upon his opinion of the 12C and the 488 bereft of having a dog in the race.

Lone Wolf likes this.
  10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    True. I don't own either anymore. I drive what I like. My 458Speciale rocks the 488GTB and my 675LT rocks the 12c.

11. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I did, really liked it, and ordered it in early August.

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I agree and identify with this!

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Congrats. Amazing car.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Highly subjective stuff that. How can you really compare some of these? The Lusso is an absolutely outstanding drive, considering its design brief, arguably comfortably above the 488 spider since it has no real competitors. The 812 is outstanding to drive (via a friend I know very well) and will be a better car than the 488 since it is n/a - unless you have a strong preference for the mid-engine format.

For what it's worth (and it isn't worth much) my order taking into consideration what brief these cars are supposed to fill...

812 > 720S > Aventador
    Lusso > .....Panamera?
    488 Spider > Huracan spider
    488 GTB > 720S > Huracan
    Portofino > 570 spider (based on appearance alone) > 991TT cab
    570GT > 991TT > DB11
    Speciale > 675 > GT3RS

Kind of curious since the order in which I prefer the brands is Ferrari > Porsche > McLaren > Aston Martin > Lamborghini.

15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    All are opinions. We all have them. Interesting though the depreciation comments. I’ve said before for enthusiasts most have an acceptable cost of ownership. For me taking an 100k hit for year one ownership is prohibitive. To others, it’s the cost of ownership. I dont judge their use of their money. I think many if not most on this board prefer more conservative depreciation. I drive my cars and accept the cost of ownership. McLaren is an opportunity to buy amazingly engineered machines sooner at more of a discount. It’s all about choice. Right now I’m choosing between a 458 and 12c. I have to say the upfront cost of the 12c is appealing although 3 years of ownership would likely ( my guess) cost more than the 458. A fact not lost on my wife who watches my transactions with an amused eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There are 2 appealing things about McLaren:

1. The opportunity to buy some incredibly well designed and engineered cars (that aren't overproduced) for a good discount if you are willing to buy used.

2. Walking into a McLaren dealer and actually being treated like a valued customer, rather than disrespected at the Ferrari store.

SECRET likes this.
  17. GTrr

GTrr Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    Full Name:
    Gtrr
    Guys,
    I've been a Ferrari hardcore fan since I was 5 years old. I have a F599 and this summer I was in the market for a spider to replace my 991. Looked at various cars and my shortlist was down to 488 spider and 650 spider. Test drove both extensively and was really torn between the two, they are so closely matched. Then had the opportunity to buy a 650 CanAm and the deal was sealed. If someone had told me a year ago that I would turn down a 488 spider I would have declared him completely mad. But the CanAm is just so good, driving flat out or cruising along, it does everything right. And the sound of it ...

On the other hand a Ferrari will always be my first choice; if I hadn't had the 599 (a V12 Ferrari is the ultimate car for me) I would have bought the 488 spider but now I chose otherwise, also because I thought it would be nice to have more than one brand.
    Well done McLaren and Forza Ferrari !

redcaruser likes this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Must depend on the dealership because my dealer in Detroit has treated me very well, both the Service Manager and their sales department.

perrinnation likes this.
  19. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    While that may be true for some it’s not all. My 2013 Italia sadly has about 6K miles on it since I bought it new. Wish I could drive it more. Just don’t have the time with 2 young ones at home and other options on the garage. Realistically should sell it but it’s paid for and costs very little to maintain and insure it.

I would rather drive it the few times I get a chance and look at it every day then part ways with it. I think this may be true for a lot of owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is a reason exotics get very little mileage. If the average Ferrari owner had one car, 4 weeks vacation each year, drove year round and had a 30 mile commute 5 days a week, they would have just as many miles as a Ford Focus.

The reality is that this profile doesn't really fit very wealthy people and the demographic of exotic owners.

Exotics don't see much mileage because there isn't a lot of mileage to go around. They drive less, they have multiple cars, they don't see snow and bad weather, they aren't terribly practical.

Getting a few thousand miles out of an exotic each year is actually a pretty normal amount for someone who may only drive 5-7K miles per year anyway. Heck, many are retired and have no commute at all.

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Maybe worth keeping in mind that not everyone has that experience. I was treated nicely by McLaren but outstandingly by Ferrari - my best purchase experience. And I live in the 'home' of McLaren.

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I echo that. I do a lot of Ferrari miles (about 10k per year) but over three cars. I don't use them for my daily commute since I figure that I want to 'spend' the cost of them on journeys that are worth their while. Other Ferrari users I know have varying stories - some have multiple Porsche, Astons, McLarens too, so they might only do a few thousand each year in the Ferrari, some turn their cars with every new model and put the 'old' car on SOR after 6 months. Low mileage Ferraris doesn't necessarily mean they are owned by posers and people not interested in driving. About 80% of the owners I know drive their cars pretty hard, when they want to.

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My daughter is quite a petrolhead. She's 24.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Much of what you state is correct. However, it does not explain why Porsche and even Mclaren owners, for example, drive their cars much more frequently. It is rare to see a GT 3, Turbo S and especially 911S with 5K miles on a 7 year oild car.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There are plenty of high mileage Ferraris. You can find tons of 20K mile 458s etc.

The reason you find higher mileage Porsches after 7 years is because they are cheaper and depreciate more, and as such they make there way down the food chain to people who drive more, have fewer cars, maybe do work a normal 9-5 with a commute, etc.

The richer you are, the less miles your cars will have. A 911 Turbo quickly reaches low $100K, a Ferrari must less so.