Convertible vs Coupe Differences | FerrariChat

Convertible vs Coupe Differences

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Surge74, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Hi everyone,

I’m shopping for a Mondial T and wanted to know your ownership preferences between the cabrio and coupe.

Does the cabrio feel less rigid, and have more noise (at speed, top creaks, etc). I imagine so, but can’t find anything online about this.

Does one require more maintenance?

Also, I’ve seen the cabrio with a leather top cover vs fabric. Is the fabric aftermarket?

Thanks

2. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Cab absolutely flexes more than the coupes, especially top down, as most c0nvertibles did back in the day ( and many still do).
    My ‘88 came with a leather top boot as original. Different years did come with canvas top boots- I do not know which model years. I believe canvas is correct in “t”model years.

Mechanically, maintenance should be equal, except differences such as sunroof work etc.

Surge74 and paulchua like this.
  3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Coupe's are stiffer, typically will have interiors in better condition, less rust as water can sneak in many ways in a cab. This is not really specific to just Mondial's
    There are rear side window issues, some trim issues specific to cab's. Coupes owners have sunroof issues, and typically are deficient in vitamin D!

Surge74 likes this.
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    top up noise will depend on how new your windshield header gasket is (hard to find and expensive) and how tight your clamps are set. Mine is significantly louder and annoying top up than top down.

its a wet noodle in terms of chassis, but that doesn't stop us from sliding out the back end occasionally. Its a very neutral handling rear-mid engined car. It's not the type of car where the difference between coup and convertible make a difference in terms of how fast you drive it.... they're not fast. But they are fun...

B-pillars vs sunroof... There is someone here who remanufactured b-pillars.

top up the back seats are claustrophobic. They are big enough for petite women or kids.

we go top down unless its raining.

5. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Thank you all, very useful... would not know this readily without having owned both. If I could, I would buy one of each!

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Fabric boots were factory, same material as the convertible roof, leather was optional. Fabric is more functional in that it won't shrink and feel the effects of sun, if it shrinks it will be too tight to affix properly. Some have raced the Mondial hardtops and found them faster and more buttoned down than the similar model 308/28, so I think the hardtop is definitely the better hard core drivers car. The cab body does flex, more like it shudders over bumpy roads, as the suspension is fairly stiff. Its pretty tight for a convertible, but the hard top beats it handily for rigidity. I think the style of the hardtop is the most interesting of the two styles, although I have a cab and it looks truely exotic top up or down.

Surge74 likes this.
  7. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    The top has a learning curve. Once you know it, it's quick to put up or down.... but if you get a convertible, find the video here before forcing anything. Windows must be all the way down.... folding sequence matters. Carry a spare roof toggle or get the remade ones here.