My 360 Engine On fire Today | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 360 Engine On fire Today

Discussion in '360/430' started by riquede, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trash757

trash757 Rookie

Jun 29, 2017
    Hopefully, the investigation will reveal the cause. Just want folks to know this is a problem!

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Thank the gods it wasn't a fuel fire

3. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Does the fuel you use regularly contain any ethanol?

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sure looks like there was some fuel involved in my eyes.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so sorry to hear this

7. trash757

trash757 Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

8. trash757

trash757 Rookie

Jun 29, 2017
    #58 trash757, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    VR, A problem how? Do a quick google search... it is an ongoing issue with Ferrari. Insurance is investigating it, I believe it was fuel related as well. I am glad you have your 64k hope you look don't back in the rear view mirror and see your car going up in flames! I am going to Italy after Thanksgiving to hopefully meet and hear some answers. I used 93 octane from Shell and I don't know what the ethanol content of that fuel is.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's an "ongoing problem" because people stop and notice a Ferrari on fire. Of 18,000 Ferrari 360's, how many just suddenly catch fire? Google "car fire 2017". How many 360's caught fire last year? Per this site.. what 2?
    You had work done and then soon after, your car had a fire. You when the the highest aircraft engine failure rate was in world War II? Right after an engine service!

I'm sorry that you lost your car.
    But fires don't just happen. There is a reason. With the 360 it's the fuel pumps in particular or an aging fuel line from the pump to the injector. Specifically the top part of the pump snaps and the pressurized fuel sprays into the engine compartment and combusts. Ferrari actually has a bulletin on it. If you smell fuel check the top part of the fuel pumps. 15,000 mile lightly driven Ferrari. Did you replace your original fuel lines or your original pumps? I presume you wouldn't write on a public forum if you suddenly smelled gas in the cockpit of the car...

I'm not trying to victim blame or cause you more pain that you've experienced. My point is car fires don't just happen cause' Ferrari (per Jalopnik) and you can't just make a declaration that "it just caught fire and burned" so all cars are at risk of burning. There is a more precise cause that may or may not have been mitigated.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well, I haven't read the whole thread but thought I should add some information. The alternator cable is a recall (yes an actual recall not a campaign). It should have been fixed by the manufacturer but may well not have been. I am not sure if/how that impacts any insurance/etc. but it is one of the only recalls on the 360. This all means that it may have been preventable and it is known weak spot, documented and free to repair. This hazard didn't require fuel or any other issue to cause a fire, that is why it was a recall.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sucks to read. Yes fuel, don't be silly. I had my engine panels off to swap them for CF and I was a bit unhappy with the factory routing of one of the crossover vent lines between the saddle tanks. It was sort of kinked in the passenger side corner where it turned from the tank to follow the firewall. I was able to twist it into a more pleasing routing with not a lot off effort. I wonder about the ethanol fuel sometimes and what that might do to the systems but we are all in the know about this so inspection and being active is on you. For the home mechanics these things can be checked and smells are not to be ignored or any weeping from anything. A dialog with your mechanic can't hurt the next time you are in for service or the next time you feel like hanging out in the garage and detailing your engine take those panels off and look around!

The worst part of engine detailing is the leaning over the rear haunches because I am getting old and my car is black so I try to stay off the paint. One of those lean over creeper things would really pay off if you are so inclined.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How do we follow up on this? I am not sure my dealer knows about it or maybe they owe me a new cable and the install which had been quoted to me as being a 3K job. 1,800 for the harness and 1,200 for the labor.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not sure what you are getting at here. I was not saying it can't be fuel, I was saying the alternator cable doesn't require fuel to cause a fire. In my context fuel = gasoline.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I didn't see where this was listed as a recall..?
    Chrysler also has a recall out for alternator and fire. If this is what happened it would be interesting to see how it would progress in the engine bay..

15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good catch. Teach me to read the thread dates. You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    see the date on post #49

18. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sort of a comment to post 51 and 52!

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sorry to hear that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. trash757

trash757 Rookie

Jun 29, 2017
    In regards to my car, insurance said it would require a forensics style investigation to determine the cause and they were not going to do that due to additional costs on a clear total loss. I did not smell any unusual smells or have any indication this fire would occur and the car was well maintained. Not sure I will buy a Ferrari again after this experience and I'm sorry I don't have more details to offer the group.

21. trash757

trash757 Rookie

Jun 29, 2017
  22. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Don't blame you a bit!

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    To both posters (old and recent) whose cars had engine fires. That is awful.
    It has reminded me to refill/replace my extinguisher for next year.

Unfortunately many mid-engine cars suffer engine fires because the engine being in the middle they are heat traps. It's not just Ferraris. In fact I've heard of more Peugeot car fires and they're primarily front engine.
    Exotics simply get noticed.

24. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
    Check the battery cables. Mine frayed and fried the alternator. It is a common issue, everyone should check

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Thank you for the followup. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. :(