ABS light problem | FerrariChat

ABS light problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Janice, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Hi! My 355 is Motronic 5.2 (1997) with Teves Mark 2 ABS system (35-pin plug). Earlier this year, I took out the engine and replaced some old parts with new one, such as exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, etc.
    ABS light has been on after replacing the engine and indicated the ABS problem code 34 : Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor circuit.

To fix the problem, I replaced the rear ABS sensor. After that, ABS light is still on as well as the engine light and air bag light! I can't turn the lights off and clear the fault code. I have tried disconnecting the battery as well as the computer, but doesn't work.

Does anyone know what happen and tell me how to fix it? Million thanks!

2. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Whew! Can't help you with the triple light challenge (hopefully someone smarter,than me has that answer), but in the meantime have you checked to see if your new wheel sensor is working? It may not have been a bad sensor...dirt on the reluctor could also cause a malfunction. If you have a computer with a Mic input, download an oscilloscope app, disconnect the cable out of the sensor and wire it to the Mic input and spin the wheel slowly by hand and see if you get a up and down wave. If you can't pull that off, hook the sensor up to a digital multimeter, put it on " voltage" and spin the wheel VERY slow. You should have 0 volts at rest, but as you turn the wheel you should get intermittent low voltage readings with an alternating + and - sign in front of those numbers. If you spin the wheel too fast the multimeter will just average it out which equals zero. If that checks out you might check the other wheels just to be sure they're functioning properly.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you use Ferrari OEM parts for the exhaust upgrade, Janice? Some aftermarket exhaust parts may activate the CEL (engine) light. If the parts are causing problems, there are some workarounds (some expensive, some not so expensive).

An OBD-II reader is invaluable when diagnosing CEL lights.

Regarding your question on the technical forum... SD 1 and Leonardo scanners are usually far too costly for the average Do-It-Yourself mechanics.

Regarding the ABS... Simple wiring checks are all that may be required (to make sure everything is hooked up properly in the ABS system). Pin 7 and pin 25 on the ABS module plug are hooked up to the Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor.

I'm surprised your car has a Teves system. I didn't realise Teves was fitted to 5.2 cars.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Please don't cross-post the same issue in different forums. See my answer to your problem in the Technical Q & A forum.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Brian, I requested that Janice post here to get a more model-focused response (I mentioned that in my first message on the Technical Q&A Forum). My apologies.

6. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Thanks for your information, pincholasen.

Yes, I did use a OEM cat from a company of UK. BTW, you mentioned no 5.2 was fitted with Teves, is there any problem with it coz mine is second hand....?

7. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee

My bad. Sorry Motob.

8. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Thanks again for your reply, Qavion. Yes, I did use a OEM cat from a company of UK. It is fine in the first few drives after replacing the cat. Your comment is so useful and informative! :) I'll try finding a OBD-II reader to work it out and will do the wiring check according to your suggestion. Hope that I will return with a good news. :)
    BTW, you mentioned that no 5.2 was fitted with Teves, is there any problem with it coz mine is second hand....?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, I was simply unaware of 5.2's having Teves. I have no evidence to support it ;) I can't imagine anyone retrofitting a '97 model with an older ABS system. It must have come as standard.
    I currently have a CEL light on my 5.2. This is partly due to my cats being gutted and the engine computer sensing that there is no cat material inside. The light only illuminates on the 2nd or 3rd run. If your cat(s) are original, then most likely something else is causing your CEL.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The comment no 5.2 system is fitted with Teves ABS is incorrect. 1996 and some 1997 F355 came with Teves ABS systems. It is later models that went to the vacuum assisted regular booster brake system. I have seen and worked on both systems on 355 models. The master cylinder was even changed to add a bleed port on the later system.

Qavion likes this.
  11. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Thanks, Qavion. Hope that your CEL light problem will be solved soon.

12. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Good to hear that 1996 and some 1997 F355 came with Teves ABS systems originally, yelcab.... I once thought the previous owner had changed that... XD

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Quote:
    Good to hear that 1996 and some 1997 F355...
    End Quote:

You won't think it is so good when you have to replace the ABS pump ($3000) or find that absolutely no one will agree to rebuild your Teves quirky master cylinder. Ferrari finally went to the Bosch system for easy of service.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  15. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    :(

16. Janice

Janice Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Full Name:
    Janice Lee
    Thanks for your information Qavion. This system seems hard to deal with.... :(