Ferrari Classiche - How Respected Is It? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Classiche - How Respected Is It?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I admit it, my curiosity got the best of me. After constantly reading (primarily from a small group of people on here) what a rip-off Ferrari Classiche is, how it’s basically a money grab from the factory that preys on naive and ignorant owners, and how quality vintage cars have no need for it, I thought I would do a quick investigation, primarily to satisfy my own curiosity. Below is a snapshot of just a few cars being offered for auction in Monterey next month. Please note, this is just one auction house at one auction in one year, and these are all “vintage” cars. I found these by going to one website and looking for 10 minutes. Suffice to say, there are countless other examples of exceptional cars being Classiche certified. There is no doubt that Ferrari can improve a lot, particularly with the vintage class, and I certainly don’t have any issue with anyone who chooses not to apply for certification, regardless of their reasons (everyone should enjoy ownership on their own terms) but for some to constantly claim that Classiche has no merit or legitimacy isn’t right either.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0031-1954-ferrari-375-america-coupe-by-vignale/687709

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0032-1958-ferrari-250-gt-coupe-by-ellena/687711

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0033-1959-ferrari-250-gt-coupe-by-pinin-farina/687713

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0074-1960-ferrari-250-gt-swb-alloy-berlinetta-competizione-by-scaglietti/692161

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0018-1961-ferrari-250-gt-cabriolet-series-ii-by-pininfarina/685618

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0069-1963-ferrari-250-gtl-berlinetta-lusso-by-scaglietti/692150

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0038-1969-ferrari-365-gt-2plus2-by-pininfarina/687723

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0007-1973-ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-berlinetta-by-scaglietti/661118

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Monterey/lots/r0017-1974-ferrari-dino-246-gts-by-scaglietti/681159

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think it is respected and worth it for most cars, heck my 328 has it and trying to get for the 355 Challenge. Just another thing take with a grain of salt. Like politics, I think anyone far ends of the spectrum that it is worthless or end all both wrong.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I don’t know about respected but I can say it has become a royal pain in the ass.

This November will be two years since we bought a Dino and had the dealer submit the car. Still no book, just excuses. I understand they changed the process this past October and made all dealers resubmit but c’mon.

I think people just do it out of habit for the higher market cars. They know it’s not infallible but it’s a case of “everyone else does it.” I don’t think it makes sense for the lower cars financially but as values rise it becomes a better investment.

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Two years? That’s crazy. What reasons are you given?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We’ve been going through process for Challenge maybe 9 months.

kuwait355 likes this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    My application was submitted the first week of January, so I feel your pain. I was told that my application was approved by the committee in the June meeting, but I still don't know when I'll be receiving my red book. But, two years? I've never heard of it taking that long. Something seems off in that case.

kuwait355 likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I find the topic interesting but don't really have an opinion yet. But, I will add some related comments: Ferrari could do a much better job of reproducing parts NLA and it would be big business. Even window stickers, would be very valuable. I guess their lack of interest for those items breads companies like mine.

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    We purchased a Dino and Classiche was part of the deal. Nearly 13 months later after the deal (this past January) I was told that our application was never processed in Italy as they had changed the whole Classiche application process. They said they had to resubmit all the info under the “new” application. Supposedly they did this with a whole bunch of applicants. All part of the Classiche “change” I was told.

Fast forward to now, we are still waiting.

I love Ferrari but they really have poor customer service IMO.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    PM me if you like. I have a suggestion for you.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'll share a story. As many of you know, replacement window stickers was possible a few years back via original dealers. No more. I've tried the many contacts I have with no success.

So, I was selling a Maserati GT as I bought a new one (pre owned 2013)

Contacted Maserati and requested a window sticker for both. Took some time but they sent me both, next day Fedex, no cost and these are real window stickers, not PDF's

The woman handling this was following up like crazy and apologizing to me.

I don't get that level of service when I pay!!!

kuwait355 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Its Ferrari.
    If you want some sort of documentation why would you expect a different experience from buying a car ? "We dont need your business and if you want it expect to pay a premium".
    Its why I cut the factory / dealer out of all my Ferrari transactions.
    Just like Jay Leno and some of the money-is-no-object crowd.
    Which actually increases the value.
    Cant make this S### up.
    Enzo was a genius.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What's to prevent someone from modifying a car after it has be certified? ;)

kuwait355 and brianweekes like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Sure, it’s a bit frustrating, but I’m fine with it. I knew going in that Classiche takes time so I wasn’t surprised. Also, if you want the experience of building your own bespoke car then dealing with the nuances is necessary. This isn’t Honda. The truth is, Ferrari is still more boutique than many give them credit for. Actually, as a Ferrari customer, I have been very pleased with my relationship with both my dealer and the company. Despite what some say, they treat me very well. Of course, it comes with a price but one understands that going in. In many cases the very things that can seem frustrating are interestingly the same things that add to the mystique.

kuwait355 and Azorf like this.
  14. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Total waste of money...

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You think so? Why? Just curious to hear your rationale.

kuwait355 likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Unfortunately nothing.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bryan - thank you for posting this link. I just had a read thru. It's pretty clear the author is biased and not a fan.

I found this interesting: "Some basic math tells us that 6,000 cars certified at an average of, let’s say, $6,000 per car = $36,000,000 in revenue to date, plus the markup from sublet work and the billing for in house work, making the Classiche department a profit center "

I know less than zero about the vintage market so I read the article for technical information. While the dislike comes through pretty strong, the author presents a terrific amount of information that really helps to educate. I'll just say, of course it's a profit center. I don't have a problem with that. Not really too different than owning software and paying an annual "maintenance fee". Perhaps not the best analogy but I think you get the point.

The only other person / entity in the world to capitalize on a brand and trademark sales to this level is most likely Gene Simmons and his band Kiss. Anyone remember the "Kiss coffin"? Yes, it's sold and people have been buried in it.

I find the topic very interesting and look forward to learning more.

Oh, I'll add one other comment - when he talks about the requirements of dealers on sales - not really any different than distributors of other products world wide - the manufactures push them hard to perform with sales and service.

kuwait355 likes this.
  18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's the point of the "annual inspection"

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

The annual inspection seems rather elusive. I've read from some very reputable people on here that say they have been told that there is an annual required inspection, yet I have broached this topic with a handful of dealers here in the US and they know nothing about it. Possibly this is something required in Europe. Regardless, I have no issues with maintaining my car to Classiche standards and I see the need for verification as a valid one. What is interesting is that many of those who rail against the very small minority that will receive certification only to immediately modify their cars are also oddly upset at the idea that there is an annual inspection to verify that certification standards are maintained. If Classiche certifies your car it is very reasonable for them to require that you maintain it to that standard or lose your certification.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have no respect for Classiche at all.

However, if I were selling a car at auction, I would definitely get it Classiche certified. The market seems to respect it.

Matt

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #22 Dave rocks, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Not sure it's that black and white. If a modification is done and reversible, and the owner maintains the parts to reverse it, I don't see the issue.

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks. Will do.

Nothing of course! There is even a black market of people who will 'rent" you proper exhaust, etc. so you can pass.

When I was curating a collection in Palm Beach we had a gentleman who purchased a white/red Daytona spider at auction that had the Classiche book. Needless to say he wasn't happy to find out the car needed about 200k of work to make it concours correct. In his case the car must have gotten certified then had a lot of incorrect work done and or parts swapped out.

In theory Classiche is a good idea but given people's nature to cheat/lie it could only work if it was an ongoing process that required frequent recertification. Ferrari knows this, hence the talk of changing the older system.

My good friend who has been a Ferrari salesman for a long, long time always said that at the end of the day you have to remember it's still the used car business. :)

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I think that for $6,000 you just don’t get that much information

No knock on anyone who does it, just not worth it for me.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

That's fair. To each their own. Personally, If my cars were primarily drivers and I preferred mods, I wouldn't bother with Classiche.