$380k for Norwood Repro P4 | FerrariChat

$380k for Norwood Repro P4

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Aug 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    1967 Ferrari 330 P4 Replica by Norwood

You have got to be kidding me. The body is far from correct. Proportions are bad. Engine is from a 400 GT. GB is Porsche G50. Fun car im sure, but that price is crazy. This should be $150k top.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    FJ, like other brokers/dealers, is grossly, overly-optimistic when it comes to their asking prices. Worse, they have been unresponsive to inquiries on cars in the past.

Not a fan.

CW

3. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Was talking to a guy who worked for Joe Marchetti back in the 80's last night. He said it took a year to sort that car out after it was delivered from Norwood. He really enjoyed pouring over those pictures.

4. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I had actually seen this car shortly after it was delivered. My friends father had one of the later ones in the original series and I was there the day Norwood delivered it to Road America. I think Marchetti had gotten his shortly before this. I remember they spent the whole day on the track trying to sort out my friends car but were never able to get it to run right. It was a beautiful car but I don't think they ever really got it too run well during their ownership.

Great memories though.

5. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    The car you're talking about is probably in these pictures, along with Marchetti's.

http://www.billnesius.com/photography/scanned_photos/paddock/index.html

http://www.billnesius.com/photography/scanned_photos/touring/index.html

6. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    That car always reminds me of the movie "A Clockwork Orange"

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    cool car, but not 400k cool. 150k is too low for that, but 200k I think would be a fair price. Looks like it was well built.

8. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Just stumbled upon this one today. I think probably the best looking vintage race car along with the Porsche 917. Not sure about the price though...heck, might as well ask for your first born while they're at it.

Other Makes | eBay

9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    If that...

I agree. Some of these Norwoods are a poor caricature of a P4. The body is so bad a reproduction that it makes a 240Z GTO replica look realistic.. If one were to buy it you would have to start all over to make it right.

This is one of those things that give replicas a bad name. An RCR P4 is a lot closer to the real thing than this mess. I don't see one single panel that is close to correct. The doors are wrong, the windows are wrong, the windshield is wrong, the rear fenders are wrong, the front fenders and cowl are wrong..

And the one on Ebay is even worse.. I don't get it. If you are going to spend all that money to make the body in aluminum, you could at least spend the time to get it closer to right. Of course that might take even more time and money, but I sure can't imagine spending that much for such a bad knock off.

10. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    If you look at Norwood's website, it suggests a newbuild will cost you $500k! For that kind of $$$, I would expect something closer to perfection. That said, I think these cars still look pretty good but I'm far from being an expert on these things.

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Looking at the specification there is a lot of work that goes into the car. Hand built chromoly tube chassis. Hand built aluminium body. Rebuilt and modified 575 engine. G50 Porsche box and even with a paddle shift option. Magnesium Alloys wheels etc etc

This is no fibreglass kit car and properly set up would be a great track car

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yes, but the fiberglass kit cars are made from molds that were splashed from real P4 bodywork, so aside from the higher roof line they are actually very accurately shaped bodies. This mess, OTOH is just a caricature of a P4. When compared side by side it looks like a cartoon of one.

So while all the "parts are there" including a hand formed ugly replica of a body, why would you pay that kind of money for what is basically a homebuilt car with a hand made aluminum body that isn't even close to being right? I just don't get it. I'd prefer the plastic, but correctly shaped body to this. JMHO and qualified as such.

13. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    My comment was about cost of construction, driver enjoyment and not about authenticity.

The Norwood website describes the car as a "modern interpretation of the P4" and it is clearly not intended to be a faithful replica. Increasing the roofline and offering a paddle shift gear change was done for comfort and not in error

K

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I was referring to the roof line of the Noble kit cars that are higher than the original by an inch, not the Norwood. My point being that if Norwood wanted to get most of the bodywork right, they could buy a kit body for very little and then use it to make a buck that would let them make a very true representation of a P4, as opposed to the mess that is the Norwood now.

And no I don't think I am missing the point. The point is that the lines and proportions of the P4 ARE what makes it beautiful. Having the shape all wrong, you might just as well put a Lola, or a Porsche or a Ford body on it. Or even better yet put a body of your own design on it, but don't put a body on it that looks like hell, but has the general shape of a P4 and call it a P4. If the body was a faithful replica then it might be worth what they want for it, or at least you could justify the price. As it is now, at least in my opinion, the price has to be reduced by what it would cost to rip it all off and do it right, or why bother.

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Personally I do not think the extra inch on the finished product "makes it look like hell"

Likewise I do not think Ford did a bad job in their modern homage to the GT40

As they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the new ones are different from the old ones. the old ones didn't cost $400-500k. New ones have 550 engine and better body work and mechanics.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Somebody did not proofread the ad very well. It mentions there were only three P4s and "they are all owned by collectors". We wish. Even folks with a passing interest in Ferraris knows the only survivor was the one modified for the CanAm, now being converted back to P4 bodywork. Hope they save the CanAm bodywork.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ^^^ Clearly somebody with just a passing interest in Ferraris. :)

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #19 Gatorrari, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. bigred95

bigred95 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 2, 2016
    Rockwall tx
    Full Name:
    Robert Hale
    Nice to seem some pictures of his cars out there. I work for him and don't get to see much of his creations out and about

Sent from my XT1254

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!

Ferrari's have gotten so over priced even fakes are expensive now.

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What's he up to these days?

23. bigred95

bigred95 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 2, 2016
    Rockwall tx
    Full Name:
    Robert Hale