stumbled across website with racing 512 for sale | FerrariChat

stumbled across website with racing 512 for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by bitzman, Dec 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Seems to be not that many facts but hey I am sure in this price range people check out the cars provenance thoroughly. I hope someone confirms it's real and like opinion on accuracy of the site's descriptions.
    Ferrari 512 M Le Mans - Race Cars For Sale

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #2 El Wayne, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Period,

But nice though.....

Ciao
    Oscar

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I still like it. But this car has spent the last 10 years for sale. I wonder if it ever really changed hands.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I like it too. it would be a car I would proudly own!! I think it is awesome!!!

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    and furthermore, any car that had the chassis changed, should say that right up front.
    I was given a book on Lola T70 and as soon as I got to about the tenth car that had a chassis change I threw the book at the wall. Who is to say someone won't fish the old chassis out of the dumpster and build a new body. I remember when I photographed a 250LM that had the chassis, engine and gearbox and body changed and my question was: "
    "Where's the real car?"

7. ferraripete

this car is one of a few that was built out of a large bucket of original parts and built by a subject matter expert. this is a very serious machine but...it is not a real 512m.

that said, it is a tough car to asses valuation wise. I personally think of this in terms a fabcar built Porsche 962...the real thing...kinda:)

the fabcar 962's did have period race history and log books to support such. I am not sure if this 512 has ever turned a wheel in anger however.

still, I wonder what this car could be bought for?? I do assure you that it will increase in value with each year and that there will be a buyer out there someday. I wish I could justify the purchase:(

8. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Race cars get crashed. A lot. No race car is original unless it wasn't used.

I had a minor league open wheel team and we'd swap chassis tags in a heartbeat when a car got re tubbed if it kept us from redoing all the series paperwork.

Eventually there is no "real car" in a sense.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The listing clearly says: "Ferrari 512 M Rebuilt with lots of original parts." With very little research (as little as a simple search on this forum) you could have uncovered all of the details.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I emailed them. As i remember the asking price was around $180k back then.

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Reminds me of the replica T70's that are made road legal. Theoretically you can use them on the road but practically they are a nightmare with zero ground clearance on the nose and definitely not suited to traffic.

As for racing, you have the historic and Le Mans classic if they let you run but little else.

Not surprised it has few takers. One of those cars where the heart says yes but the brain agrees with your wife

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Le Mans classis would not let you run. Maybe the Brian Redman Historics. But i still think it would be a cool car if the price is right. Obviously, that depends on how fat your wallet is :). But back in 2006, they wanted $180k which i think is decent for a car that looks 95% like the real thing and has a tuned Daytona engine. It would make an awesome track day car. Now if they want $500k, i agree, the brain will win.

13. ferraripete

my bet is north of 500k. it is quite a car but I am priced out if I am correct about the pricing!

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's back for sale at double the price.

15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name: