Aspen folk, I need your help... | FerrariChat

Aspen folk, I need your help...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by merstheman, Jan 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sorry to ask such a thing on here, but I thought it might be the most adequate space for this sort of query. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the regional forums yet, so if I'm wrong in posting this here please let me know.

In any case I have a very simple question:

I'm heading to Aspen in early March (hopefully around March 1st) but this is the first time I'm making the trip alone (last times I was with my family). I'm flying in from NYC to Eagle airport, and I was wondering what the best way to get into town from there. Is the CME still the best way to do this? I don't want to rent a car because I'm alone and it wouldn't make much sense, but I've never done this before so I wanted to know if there is any other sort of shuttle service or something like that, that you may recommend. Or perhaps a cab is the best way?

I'll be staying at the St. Moritz lodge in W Hyman ave, I think, at least for the first few nights, if that matters at all.

Again, apologies for such a dumb question. Maybe I'll see some of you around when I'm there...

Thanks for the attention

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#2 Tcar, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    I'm in Denver, but have skied a lot at Aspen and picked up friends at Eagle then driven to Aspen.

Maybe start with the St. Moritz, see if they have their own shuttle and can pick you up.

Eagle is about 75 miles from Aspen (Aspen is West, then South from Eagle)... about half on Interstate; about an hour and a half drive as I recall.

Eagle is the airport for the Vail ski area, Vail is about 30 miles the other way (East) from Eagle. So Eagle is between Vail and Aspen... closer to Vail.

What is CME?

Here are some shuttles operating out of Eagle, check to see if any of them can take you to Aspen and pick you up.

Ground Transportation

Have fun.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks for the help, Tcar.

CME is the "Colorado Mountain Express". They used to do this sort of shuttle service, I checked the site and it seems they are still around.

I'll look over that link you posted. Thanks again.

4. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I see the CME vans on weekends between Denver and Dillon fairly frequently so i am pretty sure they are in business.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

CME is around... saw them at DIA last week.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Vail resident. CME.

~2hrs from EGE. Depending on conditions.

CW

7. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    First check with your lodge, they may be able to organize a ride from Eagle. If that fails, your next best option is CME.

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I actually changed my mind and am now staying at Wildwood in Snowmass (have friends who will be up there, it'll be better for me). I think CME drops us off right in snowmass village, so that might be my best option.

Thank you all again for the help.

9. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    I'll be in Snowmass Village March 4th if you are around....I'm always up for a drink.

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'll be around, then, I think. It's a friend's birthday in the evening, there will be some sort of party but I'll keep in touch!

Had a minor disaster happen today when I mistakenly made reservations for Feb 2 to Feb 9 instead of March 2 to March 9. This year they both fall on the same weekday so I got confused with thos elittle calendar things. Almost had to pay for the wrong reservation in full but the people at the hotel were nice enough to reschedule free of charge even though it's technically under the 30 day free cancellation rule. Phew!

11. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Mario, I'm a Eagle resident. Actually, I work at the airport. Take the CME, it is the best way to get to Aspen. If you need any assistance, PM me. I speak Portuguese.

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Obrigado, Milton!

If I need any further assistance, I'll let you know!

13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Man how about that ATM card skimmer and camera found recently at an Aspen Wells Fargo? Pretty creepy. Sorry for the thread highjack, I just wanted to bring it up as it's a pretty amazing story having to do with Aspen. :)

-F

14. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    I'll be in Snowmass tonight through next Wed if anyone wants to grab a drink. PM me

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Oh man, just saw this today. Too bad!

Skiing has been great, except for today when visibility was crappy and it was snowing. Tomorrow is my last skiing day here, weather forecast is a positive one. Heading to Highlands... Who knows when I'll be back, but hopefully this time next year!

16. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    No worries. I'm in Snowmass about once a month in the winter. The skiing was insane March 1-2. Glad you had fun.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    70% chance of getting another dump tonight-tomorrow. 2-4"

Best

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm back in warm Brazil now, but it was a great week for sure! Will be missing it dearly at 4 PM pretty much every day this month when the skies fall in the form of torrential rain here...