Ferrari 456 at Phil Long Ford | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 at Phil Long Ford

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Bradley, Jan 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Anybody know the history of this car?

Test drove it today. . . fun as hell, but there are a few "little things" that need some work.

* Complete owner's manual, but tool kit/spare/jack unknown, as the rear lid would not open;
    * 112k miles - some say high for a Ferrari, but to me a modern V12 that's well-serviced should be good for a lot longer; However. . .
    * No service records shown to me, although I was told that it was serviced at Ferrari of Denver;
    * Oxidation around rear window, but body is in otherwise very good condition.
    * "Check Engine" light came on early in the test drive;
    * Car had been sitting and battery had died, so a jump box was used. Got to edge of parking lot and the engine died when I put on the brake. Jumped it again, but shifted into neutral when approaching other stops, and the engine did not die at stops. (This is an automatic.) Question: This suggests, to me, that the torque converter or the TC clutch might be going. Mechanics: Possibly correct, or am I way off-base?
    * $5100 more than a very similar car for sale in Phoenix at present, and the AZ car has lower miles.

All that said, I loved getting this car up to speed on the highway. Kicks ass. Entirely different experience, of course, than driving my 308, but just about the most fun I ever had in a "touring" type car. Maybe the little imperfections I noticed are just minor quibbles. . . or maybe not. . .

Your thoughts are welcome, even if you don't know this particular car. If you do, please let me know what you know - either here or in PM.

2. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #2 chas-3, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    If you get the VIN I would think FOD would at least let you look at service records. Can't hurt to call Derek and ask. FOD has a 456 in stock now, did you check that one out? Also the photo of the ODO shows "012084", that would be 12k miles not 112k miles.

3. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are you talking about this one:

Used 2000 Ferrari 456mga

The video and the pictures say approximately 12k miles, not 112k?

Joe

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    You are correct. My bad. . . I looked at it yesterday, then mentally added 100k to the mileage!

D'oh!

-------------------

On another note, if the torque converter is, in fact, going out - well, that's way too early! And why is the trim around the rear window all scuffed up already?

6. Ag N Au

Ag N Au Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    CHV, CO
    It looks surprisingly like a car that one of my neighbors disposed of recently. Will check with him and find out.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Looks like the one that was a Schomp BMW a while ago that a friend looked at; told me about.

Did not see it, though... same color.

8. Ag N Au

Ag N Au Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    CHV, CO
    If it is this car, then it is my neighbors, as he traded it in for an M5 at Schomp.

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Personally I'd be concerned about the validity of the listed mileage and internal condition of the running gear if you can't even get out of the parking lot without it dying! :)

Also, you had to jump it to get it going? What kind of self-respecting car dealer doesn't get his cars in acceptable condition for sale? Another concern there.

My TR has 17k miles shown and runs great, and it was built in '87.

Food for thought.

Joe

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just 1 more thing, when I started my Ferrari search 3 years ago (just completed this last Christmas) someone told me that cosmetics are less important - the running gear is what's important on Ferraris, since the parts and labor are so expensive. The cosmetic stuff can be repaired or even replaced with lower-quality materials if need be. You can't do that with an engine rebuilt on a Ferrari though! :)

I say, stay away from that 456 and find one whose mechanicals are sorted.

Joe

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Yes, well. . . I was kind of thinking along those lines. . .

In fairness, I'm not sure whether the mechanicals are really well-sorted or not. . . but they didn't present me with a thick sheaf of records. I suppose I could contact FoD if I were really serious, but for reasons listed above and others, I'm thinking I'll pass on this one.

Some people spend a few years finding the just-right-for-them Ferrari, and although I loved driving my first 12-cyl Ferrari, I'm not going to let emotion get in the way of reason here. I have time. . . There may even be a 550 in my future yet.

12. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    checking out the ad, in their fairness, it does state the vehicle is currently going through inspection (making it sound like it's not on the lot yet). Reality maybe diff.

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Bradley - go straight to the 456/550 forum……probably find more 456 info there….

14. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Right.

15. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Bradley, if you're still searching for a nice 456 please give me a shout...I've got a '95 GT and '00 M GTA and both come with a thorough refresh including major service, etc.

16. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Cheapest Ferrari is the most expensive. Don't buy a Ferrari from a Ford dealer that is doing an "inspection". If you are serious have FoD do a PPI. What you spend on that PPI will save many dollars in the future, either not buying the car or knowing what to expect.

Don't get caught up in the red mist, take your time. It took me 2.5 years to find what I wanted and I knew I was restoring it. Rpissm took 3 years. Others do the same, you'll find the right one. And, there is no such thing as a Ferrari that is perfect and needs nothing...especially one with no service history.

17. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe