Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Sponsor Forums > Scottsdale Ferrari Maserati

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Matt
Mille Miglia 2010

Those of us sitting here in Scottsdale are green with envy because Gary Simon, our Ferrari New Car Manager, along with a wonderful client are in Brescia, Italy to start the Mille Miglia Rally.

They are running it in our client's 16M, which should be a blast! I made Gary promise to take a ton of pictures. As soon as he gets back I will share them with you all.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ryan
Sounds great. Gary is a cool guy. I used to come ask for a job atleast once a week at the old Cavallino Classics when i was about 16. ha. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

another of your local customers, Arie Luyendyk, is also there driving a Porsche!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 AM
F1 Rookie
Lifetime Rossa

Matt, post up 'em photos already.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Matt
I finally got the photos from everyone! You'll see Gary and Tim driving the 16M and Tim's daughters in the support California.

Here's a few and a link to our Flickr page for some more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottsd...7624080203594/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4616363632_cab8c590eb.jpg (142.4 KB, 1742 views)
File Type: jpg 4616358240_c46fdfed34.jpg (128.6 KB, 1738 views)
File Type: jpg 4616360102_cfc015ca1c.jpg (64.7 KB, 1739 views)
File Type: jpg 4616050496_fc65473710.jpg (165.9 KB, 1737 views)
File Type: jpg 4615741051_e342280787.jpg (131.7 KB, 1739 views)

Last edited by Matt@ScottsdaleFerrari; 05-17-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

So, Gary's still around, eh? Bought a car from him many years ago, saw that he went over to the 'dark side' (Penske), but didn't know he was still involved with selling F cars there in PHX.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: richontravel
Gary Simon is a great guy, test drove my first Ferrari when he was at Cavaillino Classics. Got me hooked and now I can't break the habit (really don't want to either).
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tony Jr.
Matt....Thanks for sharing pic's.Looks like Gary is stil enjoying the good life....Ciao Tony
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Martin
Great pictures! Maybe we'll meet in 2011?

Gr. Martin
Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@ScottsdaleFerrari View Post
I finally got the photos from everyone! You'll see Gary and Tim driving the 16M and Tim's daughters in the support California.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottsd...7624080203594/
Cool.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Formula Junior
Banned User

Full Name: Zack
It is a cool party but calling it "the mille miglia" is an insult to the original.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Onno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxgarage View Post
It is a cool party but calling it "the mille miglia" is an insult to the original.
1. It is not called the Mille Miglia, it is called the Ferrari Tribute to Mille Miglia.
2. The Mille Miglia doesn't exist anymore, the rally run every year that some people claim is the "real one" is called the Mille Miglia Storica (or Mille Miglia Historic Revival in English).
3. The Storica is a rally based on average speeds and has actually very little to do with the original race apart from the route and the participating cars. To compare: Peter Collins was in Rome in 5 hours, the Storica does it in 30....
4. I have driven both the MM Storica and the Ferrari Tribute, and I can say, honestly and hand on heart, that the experience is 95% the same - provided you drive it in a classic Ferrari. You don't get the expensive watch in the Tribute but otherwise it is the same roadbook, same route, same time trials, same people along the road, same enthousiasm from the spectators, same everything. I wouldn't take my modern Ferrari on it because I feel the driving experience itself is important - no flappy paddle gearboxes nor iPods for me. My 1966 GTC is not the same as a 166MM but at least it has an engine of the same design.

Some people will say that it is irritating to see 19 599GTO's or other "plastic Ferraris" driving before the old cars, but those are the same people that ignore that there are 2000 Porsche idiots on the same road, 5000 Clio drivers, Lotus maniacs, a billion Bikers, you name it and it is there to create dangerous situations. If you think that the roads are empty before the classic cars come by one by one, then you have clearly never been to Italy. I will much rather see more GTO's than the bloody tourists in their Tupperware carts. Nonetheless, it would be nice if Ferrari can get more classics in the field. I will do my best to accommodate, I'll probably drive it again in 2013 in the GTC.

What happened in the MM between 1927 and 1957 cannot be compared with what is happening today and that is, actually, completely irrelevant. The MM as it stands today is just a fantastic moving (literally) tribute to that old race and what those heroes did back then. Ferrari's tribute has some amazing cars that otherwise would not be able to participate (250LM, 250 Cali SWB, etc last year) and it is great to see these amazing cars on the road. For owners it's a wonderful opportunity to drive Italy like you will never be able to normally.

Insult my arse. It is not, nor has it ever tried to be, a resurrection of the past. It is an excuse to see these wonderful machines on the road. Most people should do what the Italians public does: lighten up! And just enjoy it.

Onno

Last edited by JazzyO; 08-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Formula Junior
Banned User

Talking

"I have driven both the MM Storica and the Ferrari Tribute, and I can say, honestly and hand on heart, that the experience is 95% the same..."

THAT IS FUNNY...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Drew Stoddard
My Garage
Quote:
"I have driven both the MM Storica and the Ferrari Tribute, and I can say, honestly and hand on heart, that the experience is 95% the same..."

THAT IS FUNNY...
Ok, I'll bite. Why?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_4RE View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Why?
OK, I'm going out on a limb here and I am going to say that Zxgarage, owner of an Impala, F-150 and Porsche, has never been to the Mille Miglia, not as a spectator, let alone as a competitor, and just thinks he knows better than people who have actually done it. Just another internet hero.

I am willing to apologise if I got it wrong, but I would need proof. Full name and year of participation please.

Onno

Last edited by JazzyO; 01-06-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Formula Junior
Banned User

What are we talking here ? The racing that run from 1927 to 1957 in Italy or some kind of... "tribute" ? When you say Mille Miglia to me, is the Race... Now... The Mille Miglia Tribute or Storica or Revival (America or Italy) are amazing events but not a hard core race and as such it can't provide the same experience... to the ORIGINAL... not talking experience between the two new incarnations.

Last edited by Zxgarage; 02-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Formula Junior
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
OK, I'm going out on a limb here and I am going to say that Zxgarage, owner of an Impala, F-150 and Porsche, has never been to the Mille Miglia, not as a spectator, let alone as a competitor, and just thinks he knows better than people who have actually done it. Just another internet hero.

I am willing to apologise if I got it wrong, but I would need proof. Full name and year of participation please.

Onno

I own an Impala... yes 61 and 66ss, plus a bunch of Hot Rods... Oh... and a few trucks too besides my Porsches, Ferraris and a lot of bikes but why is it important here? Anyone can have knowledge without owning expensive cars or any car at all.
If you own better cars good for you, but it doesnt give you a license to presume someone race attendances based on that ownership.
Before you label people as internet hero (is it good or bad ?)... look what I said on my first post... ORIGINAL MILLE MIGLIA... Talking about real heros... Nuvolari, Moss, Ascari... Can any of us say we have the same experience going to a tribute (race ?)... Great experience? Sure. Same? I doubt.

See what I am talking about ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=RQP9tzlhIUA#!

Last edited by Zxgarage; 02-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

very cool thread & I also learned a lot of info about the historic race (thanks to JazzyO)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
I own an Impala... yes 61 and 66ss, plus a bunch of Hot Rods... Oh... and a few trucks too besides my Porsches, Ferraris and a lot of bikes but why is it important here? Anyone can have knowledge without owning expensive cars or any car at all.
If you own better cars good for you, but it doesnt give you a license to presume someone race attendances based on that ownership.
Before you label people as internet hero (is it good or bad ?)... look what I said on my first post... ORIGINAL MILLE MIGLIA... Talking about real heros... Nuvolari, Moss, Ascari... Can any of us say we have the same experience going to a tribute (race ?)... Great experience? Sure. Same? I doubt.

See what I am talking about ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=RQP9tzlhIUA#!

OK, so I was right and you didn't understand what I was talking about. There are 3 Mille Miglias. 1) The original race (1927 - 1957), 2) the MM Storica organised since 1986, and 3) the Ferrari Tribute to MM, organised in 2010 and 2011.

I was comparing 2) with 3). I would never presume to compare either 2) or 3) with 1).

The reason I mentioned your garage is that you don't have a car to participate in any MM event but yet you presume to know more than someone who has participated. How expensive the car is, is not in my mind at all, it is purely about eligibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohl402 View Post
very cool thread & I also learned a lot of info about the historic race (thanks to JazzyO)
You're welcome.

Onno
Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@ScottsdaleFerrari View Post

Mille Miglia 2010 - a set on Flickr
Great shots of Gary & Tim!
Thank you