Something Scary Freaky about the Car You Bought? | FerrariChat

Something Scary Freaky about the Car You Bought?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Nov 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Bought my 81 RX7 used from a jeweler. Had the same stained-glass unicorn sticker at the bottom of the hatch window as I put on my new 79 Mustang. Ummm, destiny or karma, etc?
    Just bought my 328 GTS long distance (I'm in GA) from Ferrari of Long Island. I was born in Freeport, Lond Island. I searched the entire US for this car: an 89 328 black on black.
    What comes around for you?

http://members.cardomain.com/snapshot1

2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was going to say something about the fact that a guy is putting stained-glass unicorn stickers on his cars, but then I checked the profile.. nevermind. :)

I fell in love with my friend's '94 Z28 back in high school. My Dad knew a guy with a Camaro for sale so I went to check it out and it was the same color/trim/year that my friend had, which I later found out was pretty rare. Bought it on the spot and still have it!

-Chris

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Not cars for me, houses. Every house I've ever bought had a pink room. Some of them excessively pink.

4. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    In my life I have been in 4 cars that have been written off (damaged beyond economic repair) - all blue.
    I now don't drive blue cars.

But of course it is bad luck to be superstitious :)

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i watched Smokey and the Bandit one weekend. i was 15 with a permit and had some money. local guy who "had some black car for sale , sort of" story came to my attention. there in his back yard, under a tree was a black 1977 400 4 speed "BANDIT" trans am. it was my first car, i paid $1300.00 for it and it was a stick and i had no clue how to drive it. MUCH FUN! :)

later and ad caught my eye in the paper. "1981 black pontiac $xxx" . something told me to call, most older folks referred to cars more my make than specific model. a 56 year old widow from Redding PA. had a 1981 y84 Bandit turbo trans am. complete with black cloth interior and tops. i bought it on the spot, 47,000 miles on it. i kept it for 13 years, until last summer.

( bear in mine i had about 6 cars at the same time at any given time )
    to make a long story short, i knew a guy for YEARS that had a nice red 1970 Z28 with a 4 speed. he was cool ( still is, i still talk to him) and he liked all kinds of cars. one day i went over there with one on my many black trans ams, and i took him for a ride. he made a joke about how the Z28 had not been out of the garage in years ( did not run) and he wished i would trade him. i had a tow truck there in 20 minutes and got the car. it was near perfect and worth a fortune. ( 11,000 original miles , all papers ect ) 2 years TO THE DAY later, i am driving one of my Corvettes around ( dont ask) and i see the trans am has not moved since the last time i saw it, on the side of the house. i pull up, we talk for a few minutes, another tow truck is called, i bought the car back to breath new life back into it.

not the last but one of my favorites, is the trans am i pulled out of a field that belonged to one of my best friends in high school. he was going through a divorce recovery phase and was a room mate in my house at the time. he had not sen the car in YEARS and always spoke about it.he almost drove into the side of the garage when he saw his silver trans am from 12 years ago, sitting in my driveway, running. what was worse is i knew his situation and he had no money. i got the car running and chopped it up for parts to feed the rest of the F bodies i had. he knew it was for a good cause, but to see a car the was almost new the last time you saw it, and them to see it trashed and full of rust, it really gets you thinking..... where did all the time go? :) sorry for the small novel, cool thread idea. more later :)

6. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I bought mine from a repo company before an auction and it had no books. Car had been assessed by the agents and it was listed as having a bad clutch, accident damage, knocking shocks, and a whole list of things wrong. Price was much lower because of that. I looked at the car ( i was 26 and knew little about ferraris but decided to prebid a little higher than the guy that was supposedly flying up to come fetch it.) I felt whatever was wrong could be fixed inexpensively. Little did i know at 26 years old I might have been in for a shock.

My slightly higher but still ridiculous bid was accepted on the spot. I financed the car for its book value to have some funds to fix the problems but it turned out that the assessing agent and the other buyer en route were in cahoots to depress the price and the car was actually in perfect condition.

Smiling, I traced the old owner and asked for the books. He swore at me and put the phone down... suppose he was sore at losing the car.

Two years later i took the seats out for a refurb and under the seat ( tiny gap you know) i found R 3.00 or $ 0.50

---AND THE BOOKS-- documenting full service history to within 2000 KM of my takeover. --STYLIN' :) :)

Now nearly 10 years later and 15000 km later I have never looked back and have only ever had to replace one sides air intake tube from indent in the door to filterbox, after blasting the foam insulation off the chicken wire type hose skeleton with a pressure cleaner.

By the way you cant believe how this affected my performance and the bad engine bay sounds coming out the intake in the door with the airbox sucking in hot underhood air before i discovered and fixed it.

Skin.

7. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    BTW: I just saw my old Mustang (w/ the custom paint I did), w/ my stained glass unicorn sticker still on the hatch window, on the road a block from my house.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Cosmic man, pass the bong...

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol

10. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Ever since owning my black '89 Corvette, I'd thought that I only had one key...but this past summer when I was stripping everything out of the car before I repainted it, I lifted out the plastic tray in the little storage compartments in the back...

and found my extra key, taped to the underside of the plastic tray; still in the GM plastic wrap. Needless to say, it's still there.

http://www.iotome.net/gallery/albums/album52/mine_028.sized.jpg

11. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    When I rolled my new (to me) Ferrari into the garage after driving it 1200 miles from where I bought it, I noticed it was hemorraging coolant, oil AND gasoline.......and I just wrote a check for $2,000 for new fuel lines.

After fixing a few 'things' during the first few weeks of emergency maintenance, I found evidence that the JETRONIC Fuel Injection computer 'well' (located in the right rear of the luggage compartment) was once the home to a mouse. There was an entrance/exit hole chewed through the vinyl zipper top, and nesting bits were scattered underneath the computer box.

12. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    "I don't mean to sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns kick ass"...Name that Movie :-D

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *waving*

My Turn!!! My turn!!!!!

My first Ferrari VIN was the same as the house number where I was raised....

"Hi Mom! I'm home!"

No extra points for mouse nests..they come as standard equipment.....I found two under the spare last weekend...from the original Owner!!!

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I was looking at BMW's up in Vancouver, BC, Canada...and found just the one I had been looking for; 540 M-Sport (has the factory M-tech (M5 look) kit on it, along with all the usual "sport package" stuff)...looking through the documents I find that the previous owner is "Enzo.....". Now THAT has got to be a good sign. Negotiated the deal and bought the car..been great!

Dave

15. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, many of my cars have had number problems. Specifically, somehow the number 13, 31, or derivitives like 26, 52... always seem to pop up on the cars I like. One of my favorite cars when I was young were Renault R15's and R17's. With the best one being the R17 Gordini, model number 1313. The retractable roof models were 1326's. And the hot engine, the same motor they used in early Lotus Europas were the Renault 813 engine.
    Now, this has never been a real problem for me, never brought any bad luck, just always made me wonder about that big universe and just who is really in charge. I mean, is it just coincidence every house you live in has a pink room? I have never seen a pink room in any house, so I think that is rather wierd.
    But back to 13 again. After driving my RX2 at well over 120 mph for miles on end, I finally had dropped under 100 and just then as im climbing a very slight grade, I see these red gumballs begining to appear just over the horison of the hill. Smokey 12 O'clock! Parked! Hard on the brakes, to late, I am passing Smokey at 80 and dropping fast and he is rolling, lights are coming on, I just headed for the "mergency" lane, as you just know when your done. He never got moving fast enough to even pull out, just rolled up behind me and came walkin up. Older guy, grey hair, kinda heavy, but, he was smiling at least, and I coulnt help smiling back, saying in that Ronald Reagan style, "well, I guess you got me there".
    So while he is back checking my license, I am sitting there in silence, listening to the cars streaming past, wondering what another ticket will do to my insurance, and I look down and im reading the speedometer. Car at that point had 133,133 miles on it. But what was even more strange was the trip meter had 133.3 miles on it. Mile marker in the distance is 133. And you know what? He came back and said that because I knew I was speeding, and pulled over like I did, he was giving me a break. No ticket. Said he had me at 98 per.
    Then this 308. I bought a Haynes Weber manual. Know what chapter covers the 40 DCNF? Do ya? you know. Go look. And almost everytime I glance at a clock it says something:13, and I see 3:08 a lot too. Life is truly very very wierd sometimes. You just have to laugh, or you will go insane.
    Stained glass unicorns? I bought a VW camper bus, came with the factory tent. Had 313K on it. Year later I bought another one, same year, it was 13 numbers after the first. Probably were on the same line the same day. They had the same university decal in the back windows. Friday the 13th has always been a pretty good day too. No, it aint scarey, its just very very cool. Forza!

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Orgazmo

LOL!!

17. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    We have a winnar, I was hoping someone else had seen that and got it.

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Oh, I'm not good enough, huh?

19. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #19 venusone, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, you know what happens when you say "Frau Blue Car". :D

In the coinkydink department: In 1988, in Va Beach, I had a chance to buy an '80 2V, but as it needed a major service and the nearest shop was Arlington, we couldn't agree on price. So I bought a Celica AllTrac instead. Shortly after that, Enzo died, and Ferrari prices went ballistic. After kicking myself for missing out on the "investment", I forgot about buying a Ferrari.

In 1999, in Boston, I went looking for a summer car to take the daily load off the decade old Celica. Not being able to find a good used MR2-Turbo (which uses the same engine as the AllTrac), I went looking for its big brother - an Esprit Turbo.

At the same consignment house as several Esprits, I found a 328. (This was during the dot-com collapse, and the trade-in flood with the release of the 360.)

The 1988 328 I bought had the original sticker -- from that Arlington dealer which would have had to do the major if I'd bought that 2V back in '88.

Everybody: "It's a small world after all ..."

Addendum: Oddly enough, I now work in Arlington. But that dealer now sells Benz. (I didn't see FoW in the VA phone book back in '88.)