Changing bulbs in 355 third brake light | FerrariChat

Changing bulbs in 355 third brake light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355spider, Dec 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Changing bulbs in 355 third brake light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I need to drill out the rivets on that black trim piece before removing the four screws on top....yes?

I have a single bulb out in the middle of the array....I bought 7 replacements and will change them all. I don't think I want to do this again in four months...

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    #2 RF128706, Dec 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave, sorry, no advice, but it would be great if you could post some pics of the job. I've looked in the parts fiche and it does not show rivets. I've attached the pic which may help. What does the owners handbook say ? Bulb changing should be in there ? Item 26 is listed as a screw.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    If the black grill has to be removed then yes your going to have to drill the rivets, IMO. I would have thought you could change a bulb w/o having to do that though. Good luck and let us know if you can remove the screw from behind.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Third brake light info is omitted in the owner's manual, go figure. There does not appear to be any way to access from the front (engine compartment). If I go from the rear, the first thing that must come off is a black metal trim piece along the top...it is secured with a rivet at each end. Then there are four screws from the top, looks like the entire perforated metal plate and brake light would come out the back....

5. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Sounds typical F. to me. I just ran down and looked in my WSM for you but it's not in there either, least not in my copy.

Let us know how you get on.

RF.

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I just looked in the PDF parts and service manuals............ not much help.

Except, it clearly is a nut that holds the brake light in place. So, if you could reach it from behind you might not have to pop the rivets.

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Interesting question, Dave. Just out of curiosity, I went out in the garage to see how the third brake light works on the 348. The assembly comes out easily with just two screws, but it seems that Ferrari and Hella are not interested in having the bulbs replaced - it looks like the assembly is not intended to be opened for access to the bulbs. It does indeed have seven bulbs, and the housing is marked 12v 1,5cp. There is no information in the Owners Handbook on replacing these bulbs, and they are not included in the chart of replacement lamps.

You say you have seven new bulbs - how did you determine what bulbs to purchase, if you have not yet disassembled the housing? Did someone (FoS?) have a listing? The diagram shown above apparently does not show replacement bulbs?

Do they expect you to buy an entire new third brake light assembly if the bulbs go bad?

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I guessed on the bulbs, based on specs and looking at the ones from a 348 (sylvania #2723). The housings look the same for the 348 and 355. I still have not gotten into mine, and may hold off. I was "told" the center bulb was out, but now find that it is only dim, not burned out....so I might wait it out; at least until it gets worse.

9. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    DaveHanda, did you ever figure out how to replace just one bulb in the 355 center brake light, and if so, what was type you used?

It's frstrating that manual totally ignores this issue...

Any info you have will be appreciated.

Eric

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, I performed the job, and indeed the rivets on each end of the black metal trim peice must be drilled out. Then remove the screws on top...and you can access the Hella third brake light housing. Once removed, the housing can be seperated into two pieces. The bulbs are as I listed in the above post..I went ahead and changed them all out. Reassembled in reverse, installed new rivets, and painted them gloss black with a little Testor's modeling paint from the local hardware store.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I would humbly suggest replacing the ancient bulbs in the third brake light with modern LEDs that will never burn out (why do this job again?!). One potential LED source that I've used for my side marker lights is here: http://www.eautoworks.com/

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't see a replacement LED for the #2723 bulb..and the process to replace them is not all that difficult...probably took less than one hours time. And the bulbs were about $1.50 each. Replace them all, and you are good for another 7 or 8 years....

13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    So the 3rd brake "light" doesn't use the 1156 brake bulbs like the rest of our brake lights?

Interesting.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Sylvania 2723 was our twist-fit dash light part number. If so, then this LED should replace it I'd guess: http://www.aceparts.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/52/products_id/96

Oh, if the lights need to be push fit instead of twist fit (dash board, gauges, or 3rd brake light), then this LED might work: http://www.aceparts.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/52/products_id/97

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways