348 Interior Updates | FerrariChat

348 Interior Updates

Discussion in '348/355' started by brent Lachelt, Nov 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #1 brent Lachelt, Nov 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Looks great Brent! I am heading that way right now... I just ordered my pedals this morning from Ricambi. I think that the aluminum tips for your wipers/lights/turn signal controls would compliment your interior. I still can't make a decision on the console panels yet...

3. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The consol looks fantastic!! Those flags are a really nice touch, the type the factory does with the newer cars, very nice. My only suggestion is have you considered a CF bezel for the gauge cluster?

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OH MY GOD!!! That console and the flags look outstanding!!!!!!! WOW!

Those flags normally use a drill-through post connection -- did you drill the CF ashtray or just remove the post and glue them on?

again....WOW!

5. chenshan

chenshan Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Chenshan Wu
    WOOOOOOOOOW!!!
    It's perfect with those flags! That's the part I would like to put on next.

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #6 No Doubt, Nov 22, 2005
    I did the carbon fiber vertical console today (finally). I also switched the green light overlay on the A/C & heater & clock with a red plastic overlay.

When the lights are off, you see red instead of green. When the lights are on (see below) you see amber lights that match the gauge colors...much better than the factory green.

Everyone is taking better pictures than me, though. Maybe I need a more modern camera phone.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Thanks for the feedback. Daniel, you are correct there are two posts on the back of the crossed flags. I spent along time getting it centered correctly before I drilled those two holes. Used a scribe to get the hole started so the drill bit would not start dancing over that nice glossy carbon fiber. Koby, I actually hadn't thought of the CFdash before. That may be the next step. I also like the CF door sills.

8. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Joe, loved the pics of your car from CC last week. Did you buy your car with the 355 tail light kit from Gared Cars already done or was that something you added?

9. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Hi Brent, That is the way I got it but Daniel and I found that the lights were reversed, turn signals on the inner and reverse lights on the outer. I'm still working on her everyday, I have had it for 2 months now. Daniel has been so helpful. Needless to say, I spend my money with Ricambi!

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Joe -

Before you swap the lights, have you followed the thread about 308 lights being sometimes reversed too? http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83633

No Doubt: Despite your photography, you actually managed to shoot the best picture of gauge rings so far ! The look far more subtle in your picture (and closer to reality) than in most other pictures I've seen. Kudos! I'd encourage you to buy a new camera, except I don't want to pre-spend any of your $$ that might have otherwise been headed toward Ricambi ;)

dp

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Mmm...tell me about it! I'm thinking chrome, drilled pedals and a new steering wheel.

Let me know if your hyper-flow cats go back on sale, too.

12. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    No doubt, I love the red overlay for the consol read-outs-- the car should have come that way in the first place. Can you provide more info on that piece?

13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks. It's just a transparent red piece of plastic that I bought at a hobby store.

If you've got the courage to open your $3,000 black A/C-Heater-Clock box, you'll find a series of circuit boards. The bottom-most layer of circuit boards has two boards. You unscrew a single phillips screw from the top board on that bottom layer and then you'll see that there is a cheap green overlay for the clock, fan, and temperature displays.

That green overlay is held on by two drops of glue that by now are so old that all that I had to do was to *barely* press inward on the green overlay and the glue gave up the ghost and the green piece popped right out.

Then I just superglued my red plastic back in place of the old green.

Green lights (the actual LEDs are green just like the cheap green plastic overlay, you'll still have those green lights even after you remove your green overlay) through red plastic make amber.

So you screw back the one circuit board and reassemble your black box A/C (be careful!).

Poof! You've now got an amber light display instead of the awkward, clashing green.

Or you could just use a grey sort of window-tint piece of plastic...as that would match up to our top level of vertical console lights. That would be a fairly conservative change from the garrish green.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Wow - so very impressive!
    It really looks so classy and even period-correct. You've done a beautiful job.

15. 348Spiderguy

348Spiderguy Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I love the carbon fiber. Looks very very nice!

16. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    Yes Daniel,
    I read Matteo's thread last weekend about his 308 and looked at the pictures. At least the 308 lights had the reverse lights in the amber lenses and in the inner mounting point. I went ahead and switched mine and I am much happier with the appearance.

No Doubt, Wal-Mart has the 6.0 MP Kodak on sale on Friday for $199.00 from 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM. This is a smokin' deal! Get there early!

17. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Now if we could just do something with that one "dead button" on the console ... Even if you replace it with an active one, hooked up, say, to a radar detector or whatever, you're still stuck with an inaccurate emblem on it (if you replace the dead button with one of the other working ones). This is infuriating enough to keep maniac-obsessives like me up all night stewing about it.

Italian cars seem to have this tendency (one dead button in a console array) more than others. For example the 1989 Maserati Biturbo.

Fallback solutions:

(1) Paint it red and mark it "Ejection" [that will keep your passenger polite).

(2) Glue a miniature marque emblem to it.

18. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #18 chrisx666, Nov 24, 2005
  19. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Yeah, I never understood why the US cars didn't have that button and fog lights.. I mean, you've got fog once a while right ???

20. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Brent,

Great idea putting the flags on the ashtray! I think we'll offer that as an option. That way it will save the customer that anxiety as they drill through the piece. Always looking for new ideas and improvments!

John

21. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Guys, my mechanic removed that recently to fix my aircon & that idiot short circuited it! Cost me US$900 & another US$460 (transistor pack) to fix it by another electrician but my hazard lights & foglamps now not working :( Just be careful with that. I'm so fed-up with the system that I'm thinking of just replacing all the buttons with simple two knobs; one for the blower & next for temperature. Ferrari UK quoted the control panel for GBP5000!

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

23. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    I don't know Daniel, perhaps it came with the aircon unit, condensor etc. You know they always like to sell things as a set rather than ind. parts. You've got some interesting stuffs, can you help me to find injectors for the 348 motor? Please send me an email. Thanks. Jon

24. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Definately be careful with the A/C - Heater - Fan box.

But, keep in mind that your hazard lights/foglamps aren't part of that black box. They have their own, simple, cheap, $2 relays and two wiring harness connectors.

A little Stabilant 22A on those wiring harness connectors and your foglamps and hazard lights should be back to normal (heck, you've probably got one or two connectors simply unplugged back there right now).

To remove that entire vertical console, just remove the phillips screw under each ash tray, then remove the two phillips screws that hold down your chrome shift gate.

That will let you pull the whole vertical console out. Pull it out and turn it sideways (or all the way around if you can). You'll quickly see if your wiring harness connectors aren't all plugged back in.

Check the two white wiring connectors at the top of your console.

You can do all of the above without touching the mid-level black A/C-heater box (the expensive part).

25. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Looks real nice