"Ferrari Chat" Meet & Exotic Drive | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Ferrari Chat" Meet & Exotic Drive

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Baasha, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Baasha -

Just something for you to think about. There have been 2 prior occasions in which I might have gone on a drive with you, one private and one public. This is the 3rd one. In case you didn't know, I do have a life and my life doesn't always fit your schedule. I have driven with Gary, Alex, et al previously. I would have gone on Alex's last drive if it hadn't been rained out. It's true that I haven't been able to make *your* two drives, but to to say that I "never show up for the drives" is very ego-centric. I would never say that I don't care about Luke or Dan, for example, just because my schedule hasn't coincided with theirs for driving yet. I was thinking about going on this drive, but it would have been a last minute decision based on some other activities going on. However, it doesn't appear that I'm welcome, so I shan't be coming.

Yin

2. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    #52 George J., Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Instant nirvana is right! The last "modern car I owned (not counting day to day car) was a bright orange/red BMW M1 and in the day had a few attractive passengers (one at a time LOL).

You guys may be too fast for me, especially on the long fast sweepers. In the words of fellow Ferrari driver Clint Eastwood "a man's gotta know his limitations". Truthfully though I think my day may be a bit jambed up, but I might try to make it down for a pre-drive coffee (fifty-fifty chance). It would be fun to meet some new gear heads so I will do my best. If not have a blast, I'll be there is spirit. Below are a few photos of my "pedal car". - George (o_v_o)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Hmm.. it seems rather too coincidental, doesn't it? And also, my invite for the 'private' drive (with my friend James and his friend who all have CS's) was for ANY time that would work. I still haven't heard from you on that. Also, it doesn't matter whether you care about me or not, I thought we should share some joyous times together by doing something we all enjoy--driving cars. Do NOT misinterpret what I have said.

Who stated you weren't welcome? The first post you made on this thread was criticizing me, not saying whether you can make it or not. By the way, if we're constantly going to be at loggerheads with each other, it is better if we don't meet. So enjoy your activities.

I want this meet/drive to be a pleasant and positive experience for everyone. I do not want to continue this argument.

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Calm down people. We are car people, are we not? Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It was so great of Baasha to apologize, even though he did nothing wrong!
    I should probably be the one to apologize, for freaking out about NSX's being called a "non-exotic" car. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
    For future reference, anyone planning a drive would be wise to say, "Cars X and cars Y should not show up because we want to keep the head count low", and not even mention the word "exotic". Because if you do, then some knucklehead like me is almost sure to jump up and cry about how he spent $90,000.00 on a hand built car that the rest of the world calls "exotic" and why can't I come and wahh wahh wahh.
    Or, just send PM's to your buddies and set it up that way or something.

6. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    I should be able to make it there tomorrow morning.

I've mentioned this to a few non-Fchatters. One may be dropping in with a vintage SL (i.e., Mercedes). I'm sure you all will extend a warm welcome to him as a true enthusiast. And I think you'll find that he's got some amazing F-car and other stories/history that'll interest everyone.

As for the drive, baasha's last one was a blast!

sz00147: even though I'm down 100+ hp in my not-so-exotic-by-comparison 328, I managed to hang in there and have a great time - I'm sure you would as well ;-).

Ciao...

7. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Good heavens. And I haven't even had a chance to go on a single drive with you people yet ;) Cut me some slack (just got my F355!)... let's postpone this issue to 2006 so I can have a chance to hang with you guys ...

Mike, you crack me up though:

You just made "exotic" a non-politically-correct word! What should we replace it with? "Sensibility-challenged"? How about "impolitically correct automobile"? :D

At the end of the day, my comments are moot because I can't make this drive either ... am not in the country :(. I miss my F-car.

8. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    newbie here but may I suggest that we all leave our exotics, sensibility challenged, or family haulers at home and take BART/Train/Taxi to the nearest pub together to define what an exotic is over a couple of drinks and shots?

Who's with me???

BTW, the only italian exotic I can bring will be my soon to arrive MV Agusta. My M5 doesn't count for sure and I can't seem to find the right color combo 360 for the life of me. :p

9. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    So, my Audi isnt an exotic? Fine, I will bring the back up Toyota then.

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    love the sz ! a true blue blood and a very rare piece. i had owned 3 gtv6s, 2 GTVs, one Spider, and one 164LS, so i am no stranger to alfas.
    ---come on down for cafe.
    I gotta be back by noon, so I will only do part of the drive, and I think my maserati would be better than the ferrari to hang with this crowd (400hp vs. 240hp)
    :)

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    #61 bobafett, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm going to decide in the morning. Mostly depends on whether the weather is good enough for golf.

Arun - like I said, an opinion. Mine's as good as yours, and open to public scrutiny.

For what it's worth, I don't qualify the size of a drive of having any importance. We have easily had 30+ cars on our drives w/o any issue. The run to San Juan Bautisita, the myriad mendocino runs, etc.

And we had cars of all types. M3s, Lotus Epsrits, Vipers, Porsches, Ferraris, Saleens, Lambos, etc. After all, Gary before his 360 was rocking a silver M3. I can't imagine he'd be hanging out with us still if we'd have turned him off then. Alex only recently got into a 360. The guys I know with the enzos, mclarens, etc. all prefer going to events where it's a great mix of people and cars. I'm curious as to whether I'll see any McLarens tomorrow morning.

Like I said, it's an opinion and not directed towards you specifically. I'm curious to go on one of your drives to see what all the hubbub is, and really to see how they stack up compared to some of our previous exploits. Below are a few pictures that were of the non-exotic variety. I can't seem to find a good collection of marin, mendocino or other drives, so someone else has to help me out (Faisal?).

--Dan

12. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
    It was a great turnout this morning and good to see plenty of familiar faces and some not so familiar cars. I shot a bit of video at the start.

Please right click save as.

http://www.zensurweb.com/temp/ferrarri_0001.wmv

The video will be up until my bandwidth is exceeded :)

I should have scrounged a ride with someone so I could have done some video actually on the drive .....maybe next time

13. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Awesome turn-out! I just got back from Sausalito. 5 cars in total completed the drive. 6 of us went for a drink in one of the restaurants and saw an azzuro (i think) 360 spyder parked in front of the restaurant we were in.

Thanks for putting it together, Arun.

14. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Nice video Mark. Yea, perhaps next time you could ride with one of us and shoot video along the way.

The turnout was AWESOME! Best one yet. Thanks to those who came and I hope you guys enjoyed it. Pics will follow shortly.

15. mooty

mooty Karting

May 16, 2004
    sf
    Full Name:
    john hua
    baasha, this is john in the white GT3. great turn out, nice cars and wonderful ppl. thanx for letting me hangout and droll ;-) hopefully next time i can drive with you all.

16. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Thanks for the video :)

17. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    Great fun this morning! Thanks again Arun. I posted picks undere a new post under the general Ferrari Chat (not model specific thread ( I thought more than just Nor Cal folks would like to see the fun sun! Best regards, George

18. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    more pics please...:)

19. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
  20. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Awesome D types - are they the real deal?

21. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Awsome run , thank's for setting it up Arun. I still feel like I just got back from Monaco after driving in the tunnels with Arun and Alex's Ferrari's at full throttle!! WOW!!

22. dexter

dexter Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Dexter
    Arun, thank you for putting this run together. Especially since this one got a little heated on the fchat.

See you guys at the next one. Hopefully not too long.

23. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I second that! The funny part is I couldn't hear my own car in the tunnel because of Arun's exhaust. It's just LOUD!!!