Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by YH8T, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JR_VETTE

JR_VETTE Rookie

Nov 20, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Full Name:
    John Reed
    First post here guys... Found this...Hopefully it's not a dupe.

http://www.latimes.com/la-022106crash_lat,1,2400238.story?coll=la-headlines-business-invest&track=mostemailedlink

A driver lost control of a Ferrari sports car traveling 120 mph along Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu this morning, slamming into a power pole that cut the car — which sells for up to $1 million — in half, according to authorities.

One man suffered minor injuries. He was identified as Stefan Erikssen, of Bel-Air, said Sgt. Philip Brooks of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
    The sports car went airborne and struck a power pole 5 to 10 feet off the ground, Brooks said. The car was demolished, but two air bags deployed.

"You pay a million bucks for a car, you expect safety," Brooks said.

Investigators said they believe the driver was alone in the car and was engaged in a street race at the time of the accident. Erikssen told them the driver of the car fled on foot, but a search turned up no one, Brooks said.

The crash took place about 6:15 a.m. near Decker Canyon Road, an exclusive area of multimillion-dollar estates overlooking the Pacific in west Malibu, near Leo Carrillo State Beach.

The car — reportedly a Ferrari Enzo worth between $600,000 and $1 million — has a top speed of more than 200 mph.

Traffic on PCH was disrupted this morning during the investigation of the incident.

Brooks said the area is not known for street racing.

"We get some speed violations, but nothing over 70 mph," Brooks said.

2. blackonblack360

May 25, 2005
    Torrance
    Rumor # 685

The guy in the photo, speaking to the cops, look alot like Trevor from West Coast Customs.
    Innocent bystander??? Shop employee looking to assist a customer after an accident??? Passanger aboard the new "Enzo Experience"??

3. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    oh crap so it was stef car after all.

4. m3j0n

m3j0n Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    im pretty sure its the car from the sema show. Im almost positive, this is the only red nzo with these wheels. I wonder if thats why the driver lost control at such a high speed. I know ferrari made a major stink about voiding the warranty once aftermarket wheels were put on the car. Anyone know the driver/owner of the sema car?

apparently the story is that both occupants of the car stayed with the car and the "driver" ran up the hill to avoid police. Unfortuantely, the cops know that is only a 2 seater car.. HAHAHa. The found blood on the driver airbag and only one of the occupants had any injuries (a cut on his upper lip for an airbag deployment). i think he may be screwed... Ive never been in that area, but i dont see how you could even do 200 mph there...someone local should fill us in on the street.

-jon

5. polarbert

polarbert Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Nottingham & Leeds
    Full Name:
    Robert Kennedy
    #330 polarbert, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    now Chanel 7 is saying this was a "street race" ?????

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Anybody know who this "Stefan" guy is? He is not the same guy that Patrick Shim took the photos of his garage in Malibu I am assuming?

8. 360Guy

360Guy Rookie

Mar 26, 2005
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Derek
    hi everyone,
    unfortunately this is going to be the topic of the dinner table tonight. I live two miles from the scene and familiar with the road that is where the speed limit increases by 5mph and is very flat straight road. It is a possibility of reaching those speeds but he's gotta have balls of steel to do that in that specific area just after the rain. Its almost insanity. I'm glad everyone is alright and I hope they do a followup story on the incident.

All the best,
    Derek

9. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The passenger, Stefan Erickson (spelling?), who owns the car, says they were at a party and wanted to see which was faster, the Enzo or the Mercedes SLR. He says the driver was "the German" maybe the name was Dietrich. Yeah, I bet it was Marlene Dietrich. Either her or Jayne Mansfield.
    ABC channel 7 interviewed Bryant Kreaden of Beverly Hills Ferrari, who seemed pleased the car's occupants were mainly unhurt. Now Ferrari can roll out the new advertising campaign touting their products as safety vehicles.
    Move over Volvo, there's a new kid on the block!!

10. JR_VETTE

JR_VETTE Rookie

Nov 20, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Full Name:
    John Reed
    Here's some additional info about that guy, plus a video...

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_052110615.html

CBS) MALIBU, Calif. A Ferrari that crashed Tuesday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu and nearly split in half is suspected of racing, authorities said.

One person was treated at the scene for a minor injury just after 6:15 a.m., where the Ferrari hit an electrical pole and was sheared in half, with the front section separated from the rest of the vehicle.

Stefan Erikssen, 44, of Los Angeles, and a Swedish national, told authorities he was the owner of the destroyed Ferrari Enzo. Erikssen, whose blood-alcohol level was .09, claims he was the passenger at the time of the crash, and that the driver ran off after the crash, Sheriff’s Sgt. Philip Brooks said.

Erikssen told police that a German named Dietrich was driving the car. Police say the Ferrari may have been involved in a race with a Mercedes.

The Ferrari was driving in excess of 120 mph when the accident happened. It skidded up the side of the hill and most likely went airborne, Brooks said. The race was allegedly staged following a late-night party in Beverly Hills.

Detectives are investigating whether Erikssen was actually the driver, but no one has been arrested yet.

"The fact (is) that the ‘passenger’ is the registered owner of the vehicle, from the Beverly Hills/Bel Air area; the ‘passenger’ had blood on his mouth; and both airbags on the car deployed, but only the driver's side airbag had blood on it, not the passenger side," Brooks said.

The Ferrari Enzo is a limited-edition vehicle worth between $600,000 and $1 million. It has 650 horsepower and a published top speed of 225 mph.

11. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    From the description it sounds like this "passenger" was actually the driver. He just didn't want to get cited because his blood alcohol level was over .08. The fact that he was bleeding and the airbag on the driver's side was the only area with blood stains-what does that tell you?

12. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Not good...:(

13. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Untrue. I dont care if its an Enzo or a Dodge Caravan, if there is a wreck, I would rather have the person live than the car be all-right. I think I speak for the majority of Ferrarichat when I say this also.

Since the driver and passenger did live, I wont hesitate to say they are pretty stupid for doing this on a public road. Cars like this need to be driven by responsible people, people that can hold off their urges to speed until they are on a closed course. Just goes to show you, money wont buy you sense.

14. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    AHHHH! the Burtality! :(

15. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The passenger, Stefan Erickson (spelling?), who owns the car, says they were at a party and wanted to see which was faster, the Enzo or the Mercedes SLR. He says the driver was "the German" maybe the name was Dietrich. Yeah, I bet it was Marlene Dietrich. Either her or Jayne Mansfield.
    ABC channel 7 interviewed Bryant Kreaden of Beverly Hills Ferrari, who seemed pleased the car's occupants were mainly unhurt. Now Ferrari can roll out the new advertising campaign touting their products as safety vehicles.
    Move over Volvo, there's a new kid on the block!!

16. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So where the hell did this SLR drive off to once he/she saw their buddies in the Enzo take a horrible spill? :mad: Some people.

17. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    At 200mph on a public road I'm sorry that the driver didn't get killed. Fool !

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    he called it the f60 enzo??? :head scratcher:

19. dzy

dzy Rookie

May 20, 2004
    Is this the same Stefan Eriksson who was an executive officer at a certain handheld gaming console company?

20. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hold on, survey coming!

21. BiLL B

BiLL B Rookie

Feb 21, 2006
  22. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK, I can't figure out how to use the poll feature on this site so here's the survey anyway.

We have all seen two sets of photos today with two different Ferrari Enzos in them. Set 1 is of a red Enzo with two blondes in it along with the driver. Set 2 is of a red Enzo that crashed on Pacific Coast Highway this morning. Both drivers will have interesting stories to tell for the rest of their lives about their day/night.

Which driver's story would you rather tell, driver 1's or driver 2's?

23. dzy

dzy Rookie

May 20, 2004
    That's what I was wondering as well. If that's the case it may shed some light on his credibility regarding the driver issue. I, however, must add that since I do not know the gentleman in question, I will refrain from passing judgment on whether or not his statement is true or false. Nobody is seriously hurt and that's what counts.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Probably not Marlene Dietrich because of her famous quote: "I want to be alone." As such, she would have been driving her Enzo by herself and not with a passenger. Being German, she was probably more of a Porsche fan anyway, so maybe a vintage 917? Or perhaps a pre-war Mercedes limo.
    I think maybe the driver was Gloria Swanson. She lived on Sunset Boulevard. Her own car had been sitting in the garage for a LONG time. Just ask William Holden. So maybe she borrowed an Enzo and took it out for a spin. But I never knew that she was so spry. After hitting the power pole, she jumped out of the wreck and ran for the hills like a coyote with his tail on fire. Who would have thought it? Maybe the "alleged" passenger was Robert Downey Jr. You know how he wanders around all over the place. He probably had been partying all night, came walking down the road, saw a nice, comfy, Enzo Ferrari bucket seat just sitting there empty, so he sat down to take an early morning snooze. So maybe there was no passenger after all, so it could have been Marlene Dietrich.

25. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    #350 Tipo815, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017