Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Enzo crash in Malibu

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by YH8T, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
  2. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    haha
    deffently a joke :p

3. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    haha
    deffently a joke :p

4. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Must be a joke because "Dietrichs" german is very very bad

Now I'm also on the list :)

Martin

5. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you for the update, Marcel.

I dropped out of this thread once it became commentary on lifestyle choice and not about the automobile involved.

6. F430CS

F430CS Rookie

Feb 14, 2006
    LA, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    does anyone have any more information on DNA tests etc?

any other updates or is it over?

7. F430CS

F430CS Rookie

Feb 14, 2006
    LA, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    does anyone have any more information on DNA tests etc?

any other updates or is it over?

8. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    car is sitting in the impound yard at mailbu towing.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I realize that doing 160mph on a public road, especially while drunk, is a bad idea, as is street racing, and being a Swedish mafia guy, for that matter. Bad, bad, bad.

However, I can't keep myself from thinking that a pre-dawn race with a Mercedes SLR is a more appropriate use for an Enzo than sitting in a ossified collection or parking on the lawn at some concours. At least that Enzo had some driving in it's short life.

10. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    Hey Whats with u guys anyway.!!!! Whats the big deal if u drive with european ( English ) licence plates. I would say if can get away with it why not. So when u get flashed speeding at high speeds past the cameras they dont know where to send u the ticket ha ha ha. When we drive across to the continent i speed a lot and if they do stop u speeding then just give them some sob story and say u cant speak thier language unless u in france then u have no way out, they are the worst lot.
    Thats why u see a lot of foreign plate car driving around london especially cos the police on road stop dont know what to check. They usually just give u a ticking off and tell u to be on ur way.
    I say good on him and at least he got away safely from a high speed crash. At least he was canning his car and not just storing it and polishing it and making it a garage queen. Ok he lost control of the car and he shouldnt havebeen drinking and driving it.

11. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    Why do you brits have so much anger for those speed cameras in the UK.

12. milaadf

milaadf Rookie

Nov 8, 2005
    So Speedy, So Exclusive, So Expensive, So Totaled
    By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer
    February 22 2006

It was a SigAlert made for Malibu.

A red Ferrari Enzo — one of only 400 ever made and worth more than $1 million — broke apart Tuesday when it crested a hill on Pacific Coast Highway going 120 mph and slammed into a power pole.

The driver jumped out of the wreckage and ran into the canyon above, evading a three-hour search by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department helicopter and a mountain search-and-rescue team.

The crash did not result in serious injuries. But it sent shockwaves through both the tabloid and exotic car worlds as one group wondered if the driver was a celebrity and the other mourned the loss of a hand-built car revered by many as a work of art.

The car was certain to be owned by someone rich, if not famous. Actor Nicolas Cage owns one. And Malibu local Britney Spears has been chased in a Ferrari by the paparazzi.

But by day's end the tabloids were disappointed to learn that the demolished car had been owned by a Swedish millionaire without a Screen Actors Guild card.

Sheriff's investigators identified him as 44-year-old Stefan Eriksson, a Bel-Air resident. Officials are trying to determine whether he is the noted Swedish game designer whose firm, perhaps not surprisingly, was involved with car-racing themed video games.

Authorities said Eriksson said he was a passenger in the Ferrari, which he said was being driven by a German acquaintance he knew only as Dietrich.

One witness told deputies that the Ferrari appeared to be racing with a Mercedes-Benz SLR northbound along the coastal highway when the accident occurred about 6 a.m. west of Decker Road.

"It took out the pole, and part of the car went another 600 feet," Sheriff's Sgt. Philip Brooks said. "There were 1,200 feet of debris out there."

Eriksson told authorities that "Dietrich" ran up a hill toward the canyon road and disappeared. Brooks said detectives are far from convinced they have the whole story.

Eriksson "had a .09 blood-alcohol level, but if he's a passenger, that's OK," Brooks said. "But he had a bloody lip, and only the air bag on the driver's side had blood on it. The passenger-side air bag did not. My Scooby-Doo detectives are looking closely into that.

"Maybe the 'driver' had a friend who picked him up. Maybe he thumbed a ride," the sergeant added. "Maybe he was a ghost."

The crash left Ferrari fans anguished.

"I'm not surprised the driver ran away. He'd have been strangled by the owner," said Tex Otto, a Santa Monica graphic artist who edits two magazines for Ferrari owners.

"This will have a big impact on the local Ferrari community. This was not a car. It was a rolling art form."

Ferrari owner Chris Banning, a Beverly Hills writer who is finishing a book called the "Mulholland Experience" that will touch on the cult of sports car racing on that mountain roadway, characterized the Enzo's destruction as "a tremendous loss" to the automotive world.

"He destroyed one of the finest cars on Earth, maybe the finest. It's like taking a Van Gogh painting and burning it," said Banning, who is a leader of the Ferrari Owners Club.

Gil Lucero, a Mountain View telecommunications company executive who is president and Pacific region chairman of the Ferrari Club of America, said only 399 Enzos were at first scheduled to be assembled at the factory between 2002 and 2004, each priced at $670,000.

But a final car was built and donated to Pope John Paul II and later sold to raise $1,275,000 million for charity, Lucero said.

"It's a shame this one is gone forever. When one of these is lost, it reverberates through the whole exotic car world," Lucero said.

Ferrari fan Wally Clark, a Villa Park insurance broker who owns two Ferraris — neither of which is an Enzo — said used Enzos fetch between $1 million and $1.5 million.

"I think the price went up another $100,000 with today's crash," he said.

The Enzo model "is a very serious car" whose 660-horsepower V-12 engine can accelerate from zero to 65 mph in about four seconds, Clark said. It can exceed 217 mph.

"They'll burn rubber in every gear. You need to know what you're doing if you drive them on the street. You can't be blowing past people at 180 miles per hour on the freeway. You'll cause chain-reaction crashes behind you. I don't know who the yahoos were in it. It's a damn good thing they weren't killed."

Die-hard Ferrari aficionados who viewed TV news footage of the crash said the Enzo's driver-safety system performed exactly as it was designed to.

"The car has a carbon-fiber tub seating area. The driver's compartment is made of this very tough, lightweight carbon composite and has tremendous seats that really hold you in place," said Times automobile critic Dan Neil, who drove an Enzo at Ferrari's plant in Italy.

"They're very unforgiving cars. High performance but merciless," Neil said.

Websites devoted to exotic cars followed crash developments breathlessly through the day, even posting digital photos and eyewitness accounts sent in by people who passed by the wreck.

Brooks said that no arrests had been made and that little was known about Eriksson. Detectives were also trying to determine whether he was the Stefan Eriksson who in the past has raced Ferraris on European tracks.

The Sheriff's Department impounded the shredded remains of the Ferrari as evidence. But Brooks said he retrieved one souvenir from the side of the road.

"I have the mirror from the car," he joked. "It's shattered, but I think it's worth $5,000. I'm going to hang onto it."

Detectives are also trying to find the driver of the Mercedes that they think was dueling the Enzo.

If their race theory is correct, it won't be the first time a Mercedes beat a Ferrari.

13. porscha74

porscha74 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2006
    Ferrari sucks,
    Now MADD doesn't get their bucks,
    All because of a hose...ebay blows.

The ebay ad was pulled by Ferrari or someone at this site. No sense of humour....what do you expect from a bunch of Fiat junk owners.

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Hey, welcome to ferrarichat. It's great to have people here like you!

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just to close any rumors, I wasn't the driver. :) I figured people were joking in the other thread but someone messaged me this morning thinking I was seriously the one that wrecked the car. Guess some people don't recognize sarcasm as well as others.

16. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

aye? what

17. porscha74

porscha74 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2006
    Thank you...

I drive a Porsche because...
    Fiat Ferrari sucks

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Yeah, I second it ... welcome aboard! And I bet you say Porsche with one syllable, don't you!

You sure are a class act my friend.

19. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

hence this is why I use the LA times as a pooper scooper for the dog.

20. rvidr922

rvidr922 Rookie

Feb 24, 2004
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Andrew V
    Well now you can go tell it to your friends on the Prosche site because I have a feeling you're about 2 posts away from being banned. Nice of you to contribute to the community but can't say you'll be missed.

21. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I'll tell you why - it is a big deal for us here in the States. Though we see many license plates from other states, it is a rarity to see plates from another country, sans Canada and Mexico.

On the other hand, when I'm in Europe, I constantly see plates from countries other than the country that I'm in. I even saw Russian plates in Munich.

The DMVs in our states are now communicating with each other, so it is more difficult to speed in another state and not worry about it.

I will say, I did see lots of flashes from big white boxes when I drove in the U.K. Sadly, I never received a thank you note from the rental company.

22. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
  23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #1098 bernardo66, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Heh. He's banned. Loser.

25. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Wow thats great you finally got phone service and internet at your trailer park.

You seem very intelligent and must be successful also, please share what exotics you own. Oh, I see you can't now soo sorry.