Selling my Mondial - Advice sought | FerrariChat

Selling my Mondial - Advice sought

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SOFTWAREGUY, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Advice sought, selling my 1982 Mondial Coupe

In October of 2004 I purchased my first Ferrari. It has been a blast to drive and own. I purchased it to drive and have put about 11,000 miles on it in that time bringing the total to almost 57,000.

The good and the bad about it. It is not in great or like new shape by any strech.

My friend is selling his Terstarossa. I would rather buy his, than invest the money into this car.

Does anyone have experience selling a car like this? Would you recommend eBay - another avenue? It seems as if all the cars listed on this site are described as Excellent condition. Mine is not.

Suggestions are welcome.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You could post it on FerrariAds. A subscription is only $15

Where are you, what's the color combo, what (other than the fusebox) is wrong with it? What's your desired price? Pics?

The reason I post all that is I have a friend that is sorta in the market for a blue or white mondial coupe

3. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Post pics of it. You can always try putting it up on ther ferraiAds.com portion of this site. Good luck and lets see her.
    -Nate

4. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    I got subscribed. They said it would take a about 2 days to activate. I will post the ad then.

This is how I can best describe the car:
    Red with tan interior

The good news:
    · 60k Service complete last fall.
    · New tires/rims 2004 Ronal Rims / Koyo Tires z Rated – Handles much better than the original Michelin tires – and looks much better too
    · I have the original tires and wheels. I think three hold air, all are cracked or worse and are unusable except as a very very short run spare.
    · Starts / Runs / Drives / Handles great
    · AM/FM/CD not the original, nor are the speakers
    · Within the last two years the Starter, Clutch Master and Slave, Fuel Injection, AC, Parking Brakes have been serviced.
    New wires and plugs
    I have receipts for the work I did, I have no history before that.
    The car was repainted a few years before I got it.

The not so good news:
    I bought this car to drive it and I did - I over 10,000 miles in the last two years
    · Fussy about going into second gear when cold (like all other Mondials and 308s of the day)
    · Wants to go into first gear gently
    · Some rash around the sun roof
    · Sun roof does not work - motor not present
    · Some damage below the rear bumper where a Lexus wanted to be
    close to me.
    · Top finger on right hand air scoop needs to be glued on
    · Light on dash does not work most of the time (wiring, not the bulb)
    · Heat and AC work, but only have one speed
    AC was repaired this winter, but still needs to be charged.
    · Leather/Interior starting to show its age, some cracks in leather
    Left headlight cycles up and down then goes back up (it does work every time).
    You need two hands to flip the passenger seat up.

I have two kids (4 and 7) and have put two car seats in the back. The kids love the engine roar.

In my opionion it looks great from 10 feet away. As you get closer you start to see the issues.

I only have one picture that is small enough but is too high a resolution. I can email or post some later this week.

Asking $14,500. The car is in Somerset County, New Jersey.

5. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Apparently I am now subscribed and the ad is running.

I only had one picture that the system would accept.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sounds awfully reasonable to me for a usable car with known recent operating history (10K recent miles is a plus, IMO) Your asking price is a realistic selling price, so don't feel like you have to move much. It's in your favor that you are so familiar and forward about the shortcomings of the car. Don't sell it, or yourself and your care of the car, short...

-Peter (have bought and sold GT4's and Mondials in that range several times)

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think your price is a little low. $15500 would be more in line IMO.

8. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I got the camera. Should be able to post pics by tomorrow night.

9. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Would you e-mail me some pictures? :)

Thanks,

Manny

10. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    good entry level ferrari..the 82 mondial coupe is probably the worst of the model line and probably the slowest F-car produced recently...BUT...many newbies don't know that and at that price it is a great lookn' car ) show no go) I think would make a great "track" car too , or base for a whole lotta performance upgrade....I would skip the TR and not give the mondial away at the bottom of the market like this and there is plenty of room for you to really use modern performance upgrade to make the Mondial faster than the TR and a one of a kind vehicle ( WITH FOUR SEATS!!!) think about it.. come to think about it..I am in NYC..that is near NJ..where are the pics...I'd love to see the car.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Mondial 8 is no slower than a Miata, plus still sounds good, looks good and is satisfying to drive. It's all relative.

Don't spend the money to hop up the Mondial 8, just enjoy it and buy something quicker down the road. Your money could not be safer at or near that price...

-Peter (1984-1987 308GT4)
    (1999-2004 Mondial QV Coupe)
    (2006-present Mondial t Coupe)

12. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #12 350HPMondial, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    #13 SOFTWAREGUY, May 4, 2006
  14. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hate seeing cars like this for sale, makes me want to buy them. One of these days Ill sell one of my CObra's and get something liek this. Nice looking car. Wish I could take it off your hands.

15. 96cobrakid

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This car has been in my head nonstop since I saw the first ad you posted. Thanks for the quick email reply.

16. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Chris: I have about 20 pictures I can email. I tried but my email was bounced back.

17. 96cobrakid

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wierd, I got a email with about 20 pictures. I look at them on a daily basis. Unfortunatly, as much as I have tried to figure out how to get the car right now. I will have to wait. Mabey in another 6 months if you still have it, I will be able to see her. Good luck with the sale, Im still trying!

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Was the rear bumper pushed in when the Lexus hit it? Any rust? How about a close-up of the right hand grill?

Thanks
    t

19. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    A small, inexpensive suggestion: to me the car would look totally different and worlds better if you just installed the yellow Ferrari center caps....that detail alone makes the car look incomplete to me. I know there are other issues, but the wheels themselves help the car's looks, and to complete the wheels would really help things aesthetically......... (just my - probably insignificant - opinion)

20. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I will be selling my 82 Mondial 8 soon. Around $13K or so.

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Is that this one? If so, I really love that color.

If anyone knows of a CHEAP white Mondial coupe let me know, I got a buddy looking for that particular color.

22. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    #22 308GTS, May 10, 2006
    Yes. I have done tons of work to it. It runs and drives great now. I even got the sunroof working. It mainly needs some cosmetics now. I just got another Fcar so I will probably sell it soon. Here is a pic of what it looks like now. What do you think? I am glad that this Mondial will still be on the road. I don't like to see Fcars parted out. Not to toot my own horn but I am proud of myself for keeping it on the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think it looks great! I'm happy it wasn't parted -- I was seriously thinking of getting it myself back then.

Are those chromed 348 wheels?

24. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    #24 308GTS, May 10, 2006
    Here is a pic of the engine now. You should have seen it before. While it isn't concours it looks 100% better than it did. I spend hours upon hours cleaning it while I was servicing it. I really tried hard to make this a nice driver quality Mondial. I know I would have made money by parting it out but I just didn't want to do it. My main goal if I sell it is to find someone who can pick up where I left off and make it really nice. This car deserves it. It is a survivor. I don't want it to go to someone who will just drive it until it breaks and then let it sit. I want them to build upon my work and shock those who say a Mondial 8 isn't a nice car. They don't all have to be beaters.

25. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes they are chromed 348 wheels. I didn't plan on getting chrome but when I found these wheels with the lug nuts I couldn't pass them up. I think they look nice on the car. Normally I am not in favor of chrome wheels on Fcars but with this color I think they look great. I will say that 348 wheels make a huge difference in handling. I was amazed by the difference. Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate them.