355 fuel filler door fix? | FerrariChat

355 fuel filler door fix?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355spider, Jun 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My 355 fuel filler door will not open reliably. Sometimes I need to hit the button repeatedly to get it to open. Upon inspection, it appears the spring is weak. Anyone know if these can be purchased seperately from the entire door assembly? Or found a suitable aftermarket replacement?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hi Dave, Do you mean the little spring on the door or the solenoid that opens the door. Either way you could call GTCar parts in Phoenix and maybe get a used one. Regards, Vern

3. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Door spring...don't want used...I have that on my car now. ;)

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

5. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I'm guessing here but I suppose the spring comes with part no. 62370400 hinge (same as 348). They are listed at around £40GB here.

Try opening the flap by pulling the emergency cable in the back - does it open every time? If so it may be the solenoid (try cleaning the electrical connection first in this case).

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I just replaced my solenoid. $480 for the part. Does the rod in the solenoid stick? It might just need cleaning. Mine was frozen and would not budge.

7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I agree Dave, just thinkin' of the crazy cost of Fparts probably could buy several for the price of a new one. hahaha regards, Vern

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #8 No Doubt, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Ferrari gas-lid hinge-spring is from an honest-to-God $0.50 mousetrap, as shown below:

The hinge-spring is simply slid onto the hinge-axel, said axel being held on by a single cotter horse-shoe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks, seeing that, I suspect I could remove that contraption, pull out the pin, and spin that spring one extra revolution, to give it some more tension, and reinstall...I'll give that a try over the weekend.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, I sort of ignored Chris and F355bob when I shouldn't have....I pushed at the solenoid and it moved freely, so assumed that could not be the problem. But I got a PM from TonyC insisting a take another look and try spraying some WD40 or spray lubricant on it and push it in a bunch of times. So I did, and guess what? Fixed!

Thanks guys...sometimes the easiest fix is the best and should be tried first.

Regards,
    Dave

11. CarCrazy

CarCrazy Karting

Oct 2, 2004
    Douglassville, PA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Keep your originals working as best you can. Mine is fine but was told (by F dealer) that the replacement (solenoid) from Ferrari are no longer the original supplier and they are crap. Dealer will end up replacing maybe 2 -3 times using "new" replacement.

12. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Mine gets stuck every now and then also, but WD-40 buys me about 6-9 months of trouble free performance. Part of my maintenance routine now.

13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    OMG THE PRICE IS OUTRAGEOUS!

I will add WD40 to my routine as well, preventative maintenance.

14. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I just WD-40 all the latches, 0.10 $ of prevention. BTW all the latches move a lot easier than they did. The dealership probably charges $50 during the 30k service.

Darrell.