330 GTC A/C installation question | FerrariChat

330 GTC A/C installation question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Julio Batista, Sep 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #1 Julio Batista, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am studying the installation of a modern A/C system on my 330 GTC, which originally did not have the A/C option.

One big doubt remains: where do I get fresh air to feed the evaporator? I have not found any helpful original documentation, a part from the attached diagram. Where do the air feeding tubes (labeled "presa aria dinamica") go? Their starting point is not shown on the diagram.

Any indication, or better yet a picture, would be greatly appreciated. I cannot spend another Spanish summer with this car, which has very poor fresh air ventilation (even worse than the Dino). Opening windows is not an good option when temperatures exceed 40 degrees Celsius (105 Fahrenheit), a frequent situation during the summer months here.

Thank you very much!

Julio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Hello Julio,

I will try to make sure but I do not believe there is any outside air used with the A/C on my 330GTC. If you look at the diagram the fans are not sucking air from the two hoses. The fans are getting air from inside the car and recirculating it. This is what you want when the outside air is 105.

Regards,
    Terry Phillips

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Julio,

Stephan Markowski has fabricated several such systems using modern components. He claims to do it in such a way that it does not disturb the interior's appearance. There is at least one thread, with pictures, of such a conversion for a 330 2+2 series 2 on www.tomyang.net

Regards,

Art S.

4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Those hoses are connected to the outside air intake that is in front of the windshield.

If that intake is closed, then the A/C recirculates the inside air. If open, fresh air is added. In both cases, the squirrel cage fans (#9) force air through the evaporator.

I just worked on the evaporator on my 330 GT which is what you have pictured. You might find http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/AirConditioning.htm useful.

Regards, Kerry

5. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Hi Kerry,
    The 330GTC does not have the intake in front of the windshield like the 330GT2+2. The outside air comes from the grill area through the wheel wells and into the driver and passenger footwell area of each side of the car.
    regards,
    Terry

6. DJL

DJL Rookie

Aug 21, 2006
    I do have the brackets to mount on the engine and also a cradle to adapt modern compressor.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #7 peterp, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As Art mentioned, Steve Markowski should be able to provide info -- RPM has installed period correct A/C in a 330 GTC and they are in the process of doing this for 330 GTS. They have fabricated an A/C for my 330 GT S2 (it isn't possible to put original A/C in a 330GT with the 2 vent dash). Photos of the evaporator they built are below. I will PM Steve's contact info.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Kerry,
    Great to chat with you and Joanne this weekend at Festa Italiano.
    Last month I recently replaced my 1972 York model 206 A/C compressor and thought I'd post the source TCCI.
    http://www.ccicompressor.com/
    http://www.ccicompressor.com/universal.aspx

TCCI purchased the old York A/C compressor division and has a universal model which has identical form and fit but better because it has a higher capacity, improved seals, and accepts a variety of refrigerants, R-12, R-134A and R-22.

If a dealer tells you it will cost $500-$800 to replace your A/C compressor or the compressor seals, then go straight to the source - From their website I contacted TCCI's Patrick Wilkey, Director - Production & Sales Planning, T/CCI Manufacturing, L.L.C., Phone: 217.420.6207, email [email protected] and found out that they are the manufacturer and can not sell to retail toi me directly, but he was kind enough to direct me to his retailers and provide their retailers' part numbers:

$363 for a Left Hand suction model TCCI #ER-210L-25149.R, but I had to buy it at TCCI retail dealer Freightliner (yes the BIG trucking company http://www.freightliner.com/ uses these) as Freightliner p/n ABP N83 304081T

$306 for a Right Hand suction model from TCCI retailer Omega Technology in
    Dallas 214-357-1795 as p/n ER210R-25200

Yeah, I first bought the incorrect "LH suction" model but I had removed the old unit and taken it with me to pick the new item up, so was able to decline the stock item when I saw the fittings were reversed and order a correct "RH Suction" model.

PS - as a side note on decoding the Compressor part numbers
    York 206 =
    2 cylinder,
    6 cu inch capacity

TCCI ER-210L-25149 =
    E refers to Equipment/Heavy Duty model
    R refers to Rotolock (i.e.the type of cylinder head)
    210 stands for 2 cylinders with 10 cubic inch displacement
    L means Left Hand Suction
    25149 denotes a universal version that can work with R-134A, R-12 or R-22

Units are delivered with esther oil for R-134A systems. I recommend you stay with the more efficient R-12 refrigerant in our older cars, so remove the Esther oil out (please recycle responsibly) and replace with 16 ounces of mineral oil.

Hope this helps,

Scott

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you all for your replies and help!

Cheers,

Julio Batista

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Are you wanting to make it look like the ac was factory? If not, I would just go with one of the universal ac kits from www.vintageair.com

11. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Using a 10 cubic inch compressor instead of an earlier 6 or 8 inch style will give you a significant gain in cooling. It is adequate at 90 degrees F. in slow moving traffic in a larger 365 GT 2+2.

Regards,
    Jim Walker

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Does the C4 use the same compressor?
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122139

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran