Miura, the original supercar | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    #501 Chaos, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Note driver side wheels ripped off their suspension geometry, doors torn off and front and rear ends also ripped off - the speed at point of incident must have been significant. A major fire which has consumed the interior trim and part of the engine is in evidence. My factory source is adamant that NOTHING was salvaged, although some say the engine was. Note the red cam covers.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

3. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    a sad end to a glorious machine :(
    not that it looks like much could have been used again anyway, but if anything had been salvaged itd have surely come to light by now

the comment about restoration was regarding some of the ferraris running around today that have been "restored" from less than this. altho recreated might be a better term.

nice article here that some people may not have read
    http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Miura/MiuraS/4443Resto.pdf

4. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    forgot to ask in the post, but do you know what car the silver sv in post #496 is? (one page back)

5. ppnlf

ppnlf Karting

Jan 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Piet Pulford
    Red cam covers not my taste at all. But very 70s

As to the lack of salvage it is worth remembering that the Jota was not a standard Miura and so would not have had type approval for sale (or use) as a road car. I would imagine that this would have been of concern to the factory and there would have been some careful Italian paperwork (which I presume involved money changing hands) to hush the whole thing up. The remains, after spending time in an accident investigation compound, would have been trashed.

No-one being seriously hurt (incredible though it may seem) was a result.

Piet

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It is 4948, ex-Max Bobnar, now owned by the Yokohama family in Japan currently sitting at Bobileff Motorcar Co in San Diego. The current owner has asked Bobileff to bestow "the works" upon the car and it arrived unannounced in a box from Japan. When Bobileff pleaded with the owner that he could not begin the restoration for another year-and-a-half being fully booked till then, the owner stated that he did not care, and that it would be worth the wait....owning a Bobileff-restored car myself, Id have to agree.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Piet,
    I have spent quite a bit of effort investigating the fate of the Jota post-accident and my findings concurr with your thoughts as stated above 100%. The reason I bothered to invest the time in the aforementioned discovery is the fact that it is claimed that the Jota's engine survived and was used in another car. According to an ex-factory foreman who as it turns out has both an un-biased and excellent reccollection of the period (dozens of assertions he has put forth have independently borne out to be absolutely correct, unlike the varied recounting of other principals), not a SINGLE scrap of that car was saved, and its charred and mangled remains were tossed onto the junk heap behind the works. He states that in 1972, there were dozens of Miura engine blocks lying around the factory and new 'blocks were often bestowed upon customer's cars (sometimes without even telling the customer!) rather than even bothering to fix the damaged unit. To suggest that an engine block that was subjected to a violent 200kph-plus accident and potentially block-warping fire was saved is the stuff of pure fantasy (....and misguided recollection). Anyway, Im glad to see that Im not the only one who has come to that conclusion :)
    Another point raised by my source is that the accident most definately occured in 1972. I know for a fact per Ian Fraser - who spoke directly to me - that the car was alive and well in the summer of 1971 when he saw it with Doug Blain (who was allowed to drive it around the factory courtyard). I asked my source why then was the surviving driver of the crash asserting that the accident happened in the spring of 1971? He thought for a moment and then he answered: "He probably bumped his head in the accident and its affeced his memory". LOL. Good answer!

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

9. ppnlf

ppnlf Karting

Jan 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Piet Pulford
    #509 ppnlf, Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks Joe. Kind words though probably hard to say given your purist views!

Attached photos may interest in comparison to a standard engine bay. Mesh covers are now rounder. Cam covers are not red. Carb bodies are still grey. Bob refused to make them gold with words along the lines of "why do you wanna waste money on that?" But there again that is what he said about the project from the start! It would be nice to get the car over tto him some day.

Piet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Youre welcome. We still have lots of time for publication as the date gets pushed ever-backwards, but at some point in time I will have to impose upon you to get the chaps at OCTANE to make up a CD of a few of their best images and send it to me. I know David Lillywhite but not the others so I will leave that to you.
    Cam covers were originally silver (in fact plain and un-painted) and I actually think the original car also had the Weber carb bodies in grey too - I have one image that shows them thus - although as we know that car was a work in progressive modification and subtle development from 1970 right till 1972. Original mesh covers for the velocity trumpets were hand-beaten over a wooden dome before they were soldered on to the trumpets themselves.
    As far as your getting the car over to Wallace's, you already know that America awaits the second 'British Invasion'... :)

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #511 joe sackey, Mar 12, 2007
  12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I do not know if this is true, but an owner of a SE 30 in Europe, just mentioned that a Miura SV was sold privately, for 1.5 million Euros.

13. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    you forgot to tell he also talked about a boat powered jota with 850 hp (to be completely honest) LOL

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Joe

Is the now pranged JR. Miura ex Mc Queen or is that BS?

Best

15. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Wow what a great thread!!
    The Miura is one of my all time favorites! The first real supercar.

I have some Miura-pictures myself (mostly from the Netherlands and Germany) and will upload them today or this weekend.
    (I have to find them first)

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thankyou in advance!

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    ...and pigs can fly.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #518 joe sackey, Mar 16, 2007
    BS.
    The Miura is the epitome of 60s & 70s cool, so Mister Cool himself must have owned one right?
    Just anothe yarn, like the one my truck driver told me when I purchased the prototype USA Miura SV in Mississippi. Trucker Greg recalled how he picked up Elvis' Miura from Graceland in Memphis after The King filled it with 357 lead-holes (it was a Pantera). I listened to his story and nodded approvingly not wanting to ruin the moment.

BUT, the coolest cat EVER to own a Miura was a certain Miles Davis pictured below. There is not enough space to begin to recount his adventures with his pair of Miuras....

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I was there on the day Miles stuffed the Lime Green one and I helped him out of a jam which years later he thanked me for. Sal knew him well and still has hours of tapes Miles gave him playing, rapping and fooling around.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    VERY cool. Yes I have it that Miles crashed the Miura in October 1972...what a guy.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #521 joe sackey, Mar 16, 2007
    Walter Wolf gave this car to his wife Barbara as a present and the highlight of its career with her came when she was driving it at well over 120mph on the autobahn. She had forgotton to latch down the rear hood and as the air-pressure built up in the vents it lifted! For a few moments it acted as an air-brake before being ripped completely off its mountings at full speed. The car came to a stop a full 1/2 a mile later....
    Restored by the factory in 2000, but sadly not in its original 'Oro Longchamps' - note the upside-down "S" badge. LOL.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    On the Westside Highway trying to get off the 125 Street exit from the left lane in the rain. Drugs and driving don't go together well...

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LOL. Too true.

Joe
    www.JoeSackey.com

24. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Okay I have done a litle searching in my 'archive'. I have pictures of about 14 different Miura's.
    I had to take pictures of pictures, because I don't have a scanner anymore, so the quality won't be perfect. :)

But the later pictures are digital, so much better quality.
    I will resize them now and upload them.
    I hope it is not a problem to post about 20 pictures??