TR intake sleeve: Kerry's temp. fix is great! | FerrariChat

TR intake sleeve: Kerry's temp. fix is great!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by carguy, May 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 carguy, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I have installed Kerry's "temporary" intake-to-air-box sleeve on my TR and after several hundred miles of driving it is holding up great. I also think it looks better than the original sleeve too. Just thought I'd post an update for the benefit of those considering one of his "temp" sleeves or waiting on one of his exact-replacement types.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That engine bay looks like crap. How on earth do you sleep at night with such a dirty car?

edit: holy shidt! It's gorgeous. :)

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    LOL !! LOL !! Ha Ha Ha.....thanks Daniel !!

That was after a 200 mile drive, it was cleaner before we left the house :) I do try and keep the engine bay "dinner plate" clean, lots of time and sore fingers.....

4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    #4 LMPDesigner, May 22, 2007
  5. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Damn you Jeffery.................Your enthusiasim has now prompted others to request the "temp"! Here it is 1:30 am and I have the last of 4 sleeves I made that need to be over-nighted......... so it's in place for a car show this Saturday..............sound familiar? Thanks for the kudos.....................NOW SEND ME INSULATION MY FRIEND!!!!!..............Kerry

Tell Karen that if you keep praising me like this on F-Chat that I may start to court you myself............"Not that there's anything wrong with that!" ........Sienfeld

6. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Who in the HELL would be up at 1am looking for a TR temp sleeve?????

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Some twisted bastard who is obsesive compulsive about their "Red Head"....................Me........Rob..............Jeff.........................Frank...........Perez'............oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks Rob....item is packaged, addressed and ready to go..........Kerry

PS........I have no life, no friends, no future..........but I must ship sleeve master, I must ship sleeve!!!!

8. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #8 JAYF, May 23, 2007
    Here I thought that I was the unique one with grigio - oh well I guess there are others out there that have equally good taste in color. Anyway 2 questions, Jeff-what is that little gadget you are using to keep the deck lid open and Kerry-how do I go about getting one of those air intake sleeves?

9. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    JAYF,
    The temporary sleeve.......or the reproductions?

The repros may be another 30-60 days because of a communication "problem" with the manufacturer....NO June 1st in hand hopes anymore.
    The temp sleeve I shipped the last one I had minutes ago, BUT may be able to get a few done today before I leave for a month on Biz...........Kerry

10. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I leave in 4 hours for an extended business trip (1-6 months), so for now I will have none available........But, I am going to have 2 to 3 days in each city so I may have some free time to "fab" up a few. If indeed this can happen I will post the info. Thanks to all who bought every one that I had on hand in a very short period of time, Also thanks for the wonderful reveiws. Kerry

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    JAYF: That little "device" holding up the engine deck lid is a "strut helper". I bought it at our local Napa store a few years ago. On windy days I don't trust the struts alone to hold up the deck lid, so I attach that little widget. Sometimes I get negative remarks about it - but oh well I don't care. At a concours on a windy day I had my device installed, and another TR owner didn't. A gust of wind blew his engine deck lid shut with such force that it broke his 3rd brake light, not to mention that he crapped his pants too. I don't want that to happen to me.

I wish Ferrari had used those type of struts where when the full extension point is reached, little "buttons" pop out of the side of the rod to securely lock things in place. By chance does anyone out there know of a strut like this that will work on these cars?

12. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Kerry- I am looking for the permanent one -let me know when they come in in 30-60 days and I will be down for one.
    Jeff- I am off to Napa this weekend to get that strut helper-that is a really great device and I cant wait to get it. I have definitely had a few near misses with my engine lid trying to chop my head off.

13. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    But you'd only want ONE strut like that otherwise, how would you get the thing closed?

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sean F.: I guess you could have one strut or both struts with the little spring-tabs. I believe the deck lid will flex enough to disengage one strut, and then the other...for shutting.

I'd be willing to be the gineau pig and try these struts out if there are any in existance that would fit and have the proper stroke. Anyone know of any?

15. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #15 testarob, May 25, 2007
    Here is the temp sleeve being installed. Notice the sad state of affairs the original was in. Unfortunately I broke the band that secured it, so I have to find a replacement.

16. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Any of you Grigio guys interested in selling?

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    testarob: I use two large stainless worm-screw styel hose clamps to secure the bellows instead of the cheesy factory clamps. You should be able to find a couple for just a few dollars.

Sean F.: .....interested in selling...hmmmm.....that all depends... :)

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    If you're serious, shoot me a PM. Even if it's a year from now ;)

19. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #19 testarob, Mar 30, 2008
  20. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Just had a fellow F Chatter inquire, 2 years later, if the sleeves were still available...........and so I thought I might "re-open" this thread.............again!!

I now have (4/20/2010) the "temporary" sleeves available at a cost of $59 shipped within the US!! Along with the Stainless Steel clamps at an additional $10 per if there is any interest. By the way the sleeve is anything but "temporary" I have been running it on my TR for the past 2 years with no issues and there are at least a dozen more out there in TR land that have been issue free as well.

My direct email is: [email protected]

Kerry

21. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hey Kerry!
    Just to add to this thread my Kerry-sleeve that I installed this afternoon was hand delivered to me by it's inventor himself this winter! :D
    And I must say that it was rather easy to install...And it looks so much better than the old one.
    Thanks Mr. Witttig! :p