A Tough One | FerrariChat

A Tough One

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robbie, Aug 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe this is more of a Martha Stewart question .. but .. my 328 wheels have residual adhesive left over from where balancing weights were removed. That gunk is worth 1 point in a concours. I have tried benign stuff like paint thinner, WD-40 (yep), soap .. all to no avail. I stepped it up to a touch of acetone without results and the moved to Goof-Off ... negative. This stuff is odd and I'm afraid to get any more aggressive for fear of winding up with no paint in these spot. Any good ideas? Painting over the stuff crossed my mind but I'm not there yet. Thanks.

Robert

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ez-Off Oven cleaner.

3. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Since you're considering repainting have you tried carburetor cleaner? Just don't let it sit to long.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The glue is gone and what you have left is a shadow caused by the sun/dirt . It has been my experience that this will not come off. I always have my wheels balanced now with the hammer on weights on the inside. I think you now need to refinish the wheels in order to get the stains out.

5. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    "Maybe this is more of a Martha Stewart question .. but "

lol, what would Martha do.

6. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Recommend a particular wheel cleaning business, and then sell some stock in said business :)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He says it's residual adhesive...I have used these weights but have never been unable to just rub off the remaining goo.....

If use something as strong as acetone or laquer thinner you are well on the way to a refinish, if you are not quick and careful.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I feel your pain...I never was able to get it off on my 328 either...must have been the factory way of installing the weights, since by the time I bought it, all the weights were on the inside of the rim.

9. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    If the wheels are strictly pure magnesium alloy, lacquer thinner/acetone/toluene will not hurt it., as organic solvents typically dont react with metals. And if the stuff is INDEED adhesive, these solvents should remove the gunk. BUT IF the mag alloy wheels have some sort of factory coating on them (clear epoxy, etc), and some of you experts should know this, then do not use these aggressive solvents, although, Chloroform and related solvents are the only ones I know that will dissolve epoxies. If the stain is an oxide of the magnesium, no solvent will clean it. As far as easy off, mostly lye, and v corrosive, but might work. I dont know. If you want to try it, as fellow chatter suggested above, rinse off profusely with tap water, not DI, then with DI. Do NOT let easy off sit on it for more than necessary!!

Good Luck, man

May or may not be relevant, but Chloroform is not as hard as you think to get....

10. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the input guys .. it may be a stain in the paint that will only come off WITH the paint. Martha Stewart would say F@#K IT, do a few inside trades, and buy a new Ferrari. I've read all the pros and cons on refinishing the wheels and I'm on the fence. I might try to paint over and see how it looks.

Robert

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    try polishing it off with a good polish...

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Tell the judges they came that way from the factory and challenge them to prove you wrong.

ken

13. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    I had all 4 wheels off the car today and solved this same problem with a spray gum and adhesive remover and a plastic wax scraper used for skis. The scraper did not damage the wheel surface and the wheel weight residue is completely gone. I rinsed with water when done.

14. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Good idea!

I would think if all else fails, using a very fine grit wet sandpaper followed by polish. Treat it like paint on the body of the car. I never could get confirmation on my 328 wheels if it had clear coat layers or if the paint had clear in it. Either way, should be able to restore that way I'd think, right? The detail guys should chime in, they'd know better.

Jeff

15. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    THANK YOU! I've been waiting for the last two days for someone to answer this topic seriously. I have the same issue and have not wanted to touch it for fear of ruining my otherwise near perfect wheels.

16. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    If you go to an autobody supply/paint store they will carry a large round eraser material, shaped like a large polishing stone that you mount in your drill. Body shops use it to remove stickers, tape graphis etc. They work great and won't damage finishes if you use some basic care. They are cheap too. PB : )

17. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #17 Paul_308, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the 21st century - don't stoop to 19th century farm type recipes. 3M 6040 Adhesive Remover is good on all surfaces except Lacquer and itself leaves no residue. You should have some around for general useage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have solved the problem. Laquer thinner and a bit of rubbing removes the pesky weight adhesive and does not remove the wheel paint. Apply to cloth, rub a bit, let the stuff evaporate, wash, apply more to the cloth and rub some more if there is any residual.