My Ferrari Dream | FerrariChat

My Ferrari Dream

Discussion in '360/430' started by wildshirts, Aug 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildshirts

wildshirts Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2007
    Good Afternoon everyone

My dream is to own a Ferrari by the time i am 30 years old, i am 19 now so this gives me 11 years (well 10 and a half) to get the money to buy a Ferrari. My dream is to be a very successful business man, so i have set up a mobile car detailing business in my local area. However This may take a while to expand to the level that i can sell and move into something else.

EDIT - Didnt get a very good response from the donation idea :(

So i will change things a little - Did you have a dream like this? if so explain your story!

2. acuransx20001

acuransx20001 Karting

May 19, 2005
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    I don't think asking for money is the logical thing to do. Work hard in order to get your Ferrari. You can't just expect people to give you $2 each to improve your business because that would be too easy. Best of luck in the upcoming years and hope you get your Ferrari at 30.

3. wildshirts

Mar 8, 2007
    Thanks for your comment! but i guess you dont get if you dont ask!

I am all for working hard! and i want to work hard to get my Ferrari as then i feel like i deserve it :D

I will keep you update throughout the years

Si

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Most people's first Ferrari doesn't cost £ 100 000 : set yourself a realistic target for example a Ferrari by 30 and be proud that you have earned it rather than robbed or insulted others

Good luck

5. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    It is great to dream of the future but don't loose site of the present. Enjoy what you have now. Time flies by too fast. You will eventually get your F car. I waited 15 years. Al

6. SpeedGeek

SpeedGeek Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Jo'burg, S. Africa
    Full Name:
    Warren
    No matter how much money you have at 30, you will have spent something far more valuable getting there - 11 years of youth! The Ferrari is a great dream - just make sure you enjoy the ride between now and then.

My dream is to be 19 and dreaming of a Ferrari.:rolleyes:

7. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Very well put!

8. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Oh so true!! To be 19 again....:)

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I think that because I was given a Ferrari a few months before I turned 20 that I lost major track of the future.

10. wildshirts

Mar 8, 2007
    Thanks very much for the comments guys, and i must admit i do think about the future more than the present. I just need to be aware that the F car will come, but i cannot do much right now. So thank you i will enjoy what i have! and enjoy being young

Simon

11. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    All the performance of a F430 F1 Coupé in a 355 Spider. That's it. Perfect Ferrari.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    My dream was more modest than yours - to own a Ferrari before I'm 40 (which is still difficult to achieve for 99% of the people who roam this planet). At 33, I thought it never would happen and I was fine with that. Now I'm 37 and I've just bought a 550. If I had a family right now, it would probably not have happened, and that would have been fine as well. Just make informed choices in life so that you don't have regrets at the end of this great ride we're on.

The major lesson I've learnt the hard way:

Please, please, please don't build up debt when you're young. It's tempting because you don't have anything and you feel you deserve some stuff, but try and avoid it. Once you're used to living from month end to month end, it's extremely difficult to get out of it. For me, my life changed when I paid off my first car quickly. I was strapped for cash for two years but I learnt to deal with the tight budget and suddenly I had all this money available every month when the car was paid off! I started becoming financially independent from that moment and I tell you, if you can afford to live on your own means for a while it changes your life (even if you never actually do that). You become so much happier and flexible knowing you can take a knock or two and this gets noticed on the job. Happy people are successful people!

Oh, and don't buy a new car when you're young. You'll easily destroy 25% or more of your income in depreciation. Put it in a house instead!

Enjoy dreaming!

Onno

13. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

+1

14. isaacly

isaacly Karting

Jul 7, 2005
    la, ca
    Full Name:
    isaac
    food for thought. i love this board.

15. wildshirts

Mar 8, 2007
    Like you said its a ride, and i agree 99% of people will not get to the level of owning a Ferrari and a £1m house. Where i live a really good car, and outstanding car is a Porsche Boxster!

I want to be more than that, i want to drive down my street knowing the car i am driving costs more than most of the houses! Im a nobody, in a nobody town! However we get one chance at life, one shot to be the best we can be so im not going to sit around like everyone else around me, im going to realise my goal and own that house and that garage full of amazing cars! and prove it can be done.

Watch this space, Simon's on the loose!

16. JohnnyHooks

JohnnyHooks Rookie

Jul 15, 2007
    A lot of people have mentioned things that are EXTREMELY important in making sure your financial well being is maintained. JazzyO stated something very important about debt; stay away from it!

I am 26 now, went to college, and still am waiting to close on my first development deal. It will yield some nice income, but not enough to buy a Ferrari. It was very very difficult to get where I am now, and I am still in debt mainly from day to day living (and having a girlfriend and good taste once in a while ;)

Luckily, I am fortunate to have a family that cares about me and I still live at home. After we are finished with the sales of this project, I plan on moving and purchasing; this may happen sooner or later, but in the near future.

I do not reccommend asking people for things. If there is anything I learned in business, the key to benefiting from business relationships and starting valuable business relationships is by offering value first. When you give someone value,. they are more inclined to offer value back. However, the trick is not to expect the value to be given back, but to understand the way the universe works. If you are continually giving, it will come back around. THere is a fine line between giving away, I am speaking of giving value. Want referrals, give some type of value. Customers want value, they dont want to do business for any other reason then to gain value. People allready know what they want when they buy, the dont want to be "sold" on something, but they want to buy something. Give them a reason to go to you.

19....boy, feels like yesterday. Its ok to think of the future in order to drive you, butdo not LIVE in the future or you will get nothing done and live a life in a transparent world of satiosfaction. Soley believing is not enough; you need to ACT! I myself am a dreamer, a Pisces, a man who understands that anything is possible if the mind it put to it. I wasn't born into millions, but best believe I will eat glass (AND LIKE IT!) until i feel I am financially secure to raise a family and enjoy life's treasures.

The trick is to think big. I say go to college even if you are going the entrepreneural route it is a good experience to find yourself and learn about other people's beliefs, religions, skills, etc. I to this day will always say the knowledge I gained from the people i met in college far surpassed the knowledge I gained in class. Go figure.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM. I am willing to offer any advice I can because there are people that have done the same for me. These are the people that are not only financially successful, but also mentally. Money means zero if you cannot enjoy it.

17. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson

18. wildshirts

Mar 8, 2007
    I would like to clear something up, i have never been i debt and only spendthe money i have! I do not believe in debt and despise anyone who spends more than they earn. I want to work hard and achieve financial security as soon as possible so i can afford my F car. For me the Ferrari symbolizes that i have made it, and achieved my goal in life.

I have a girlfriend who i love and cherish so much that i need to be successful so she does not have to work as much! and can enjoy her life. I would give up a ferrari to see that happen! but thinking about the Ferrari and wealth keeps me motivated.

I appriciate all your kind words and advice and have taken it all onboard, and as Peter Jones says "take time out each day to dream" and that is was he based his success on.

Keep them coming

Si

19. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I guess I can throw in my 2 cents as well...

I'm 22 years old and these are my observations and my short experience in the business playground:

- Always keep your eyes open. If you see a demand, try to figure out if you are able to provide the wanted product.

- Every body starts at bottom. If you are new to this game you have to struggle as well. If you start with something that generates a small amount of money, put in it a bank account and don't use it personally - let it grow until you have a tiny fortune for further investment.

- Be smart, if you get an idea be careful who you tell it about too - so that no one can steal it from you.

- Business is A LOT about contacts. When I started up with my best friend in a small importing company, I got one friend to design a logo, one friend to make a website, one friend who worked in a transportation firm to give us advice about storage and logistics. Build your contact network.

- Internet is your friend. You can find information about anything there.

- Stocks etc. are for people who know the game, don't invest money there if you can't afford to loose almost all of it.

- Business before pleasure.

- Get a higher education if you can! You will be amazed how many decades or even centuries of knowledge you'll learn in concentrated form in just one year.

- Don't trust new contacts 100% right away, scams does happen so you have to be smart about protecting your money.

- Don't do it all through e-mails, call or even meet your links in the business chain.

- Keep your eyes open, keep your eyes open, keep your eyes open for new ideas. Let me put it this way: My friend and I got 20-25 ideas over the years - some are good but can't be done, some are too big projects, some are good enough but no serious profit to be made. Now we are left with 3-4 ideas that hopefully will work. So you have to keep trying until you find something that'll work for you!

- Treat every customer with great respect and treat your partners/contacts even more respectfully. This is very important. Business ethics are underrated and if someone wrote a book about it, it would be a thick book!

- If you want opinions of friends and family don't tell them what you're going to make or import or do or whatever, just ask "would you buy a __________ at this price?" If they ask why just say "Just wondering".

It took me one failed project (fortunetley before big investments were done, although I lost a chunk of my saved money) and 2 years of research and small steps before I finally found my small gold mine, the entry ticket to bigger investments. The next step is to milk this cow for what it's worth and hire people to do the lame work for me, then build a small fortune so I can move on to something bigger in the future.

Other guys can probably critisize my experience but this is what I've learned so far. One thing, you have to learn to not let anything let you down - get a main source of motivation (I have always enthusiasticly loved cars and wanted to afford new nice ones instead of left overs all my life) and use it to fuel your hunger for success. All great business men have had a motivation of some sort.

You got the whole life in front of you. Sosialize, have fun, be a good person others can look up to. Don't think "one day..." but think about the choices you have to make to get there!

You should also subscribe for 15 $ and read the Business & Investments forum as well, many good advices to pick up there!

Don't mind my bad english because it's not my first, second, third or fourth language lol :)

Edit:
    Btw; I know you said you have stayed away from debt so keep it that way. When I was 18-19 I took a student loan to finance a cell phone, ipod, new watch, stereo system and other things - that was the dumbest desicion I ever made in my entire life. But experience makes one stronger! :)

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Wow, another great thread. Some great advice and information here. This is up there with Johnny's thread.

21. Sloo_Dc2

Sloo_Dc2 Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'm glad I saw this thread, I am in exactly the same situation. I am also 19 (plans of going into law) and hope to some day own a 360cs; unfortunately they may have quite the miles by the time I am able to afford one. Good luck!

22. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    Lol no worries my CS will have very few miles by the time you' re ready. And there are alot of guys here that just keep the cars sitting for one reason or another.

-Peter

PS I guess all these young guns having an F car as motivator isnt all that bad. Anything that instills good honourable work ethic is fine by me.

23. wildshirts

Mar 8, 2007
    Wow great info guys! its a real help

I think F Cars are the reason i went into car detailing/valeting. I still have another year studying for a business diploma so i can get close to exotic cars and earn money! I am going to live for now a little more and keep the Ferrari as motivation.

Keep it all coming guys!

Si

24. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    this is sort of spooky in a way, you see i had that exact goal, the time i first saw a Ferrari in real life i was 6, just on 20 years ago.

That day is so fresh in my memory even as i write this i can still remember details about that day over any other details of my childhood, i was moved deeply by what i saw, and i was allowed to sit in the 308gts, it was blue with cream leather, i can still recall every detail. The smell, the body hugging seats, the low seating position.....

Well on that day i decided to own a Ferrari would be my life long goal, i had no idea how i was going to do this as i did not come from a wealthy family.
    So time went by and i focused totally on the dream, i have sacrificed many things along the way, i have only been into a pub/night club 6 times in my whole life, the money wasted in these places still makes me wonder but that's another story. I have had finance on things, cars, toys etc, but i found a way to make money from buying cheap cars then tidy them up and sell them on, i used the money made from this to become debt free, then i moved into real estate.

While i agree with most of the comments made here, i don't think the youth comments are totally correct, for me at least, i do not regret for a second passing up the trips to the pubs to drink with the boys, i do not regret spending Friday nights researching investments or relaxing at home working on a car, these things i enjoy and they are also the same things i have made money from. it is after all a personal decision, if you want to own one of these fine automobiles and are willing to make the necessary sacrifices to allow you to become in a position to make the purchase, then given the correct education and the time necessary to allow investments to create equity, you will fulfill your dream.

Last Saturday i picked up my 355F1, i paid cash for it! it is mine and it is free hold, my vehicle of choice to create the income and equity i required was property, i have been lucky and smart with my decisions when it came to money and investments, but anyone can do what i have done. my goal was 30, i am 26.

Today i can honestly say, if i died right now i would die a happy man, that my friend is priceless.

25. Sloo_Dc2

Sloo_Dc2 Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Maybe since the whole donation of a 360 did not work out, someone could make a little boys dream come true and donate an F-car for a day:D you can even take my z06 haha