I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ultimate Pedals, Aug 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I think there's no question that you can improve the A/C system. It's just a matter of time, money and imagination along with physical space limitations of the car. If someone on FChat had already done this I assume they would have spoken up by now. Maybe you will be the first. Personally, I've recently removed my entire A/C up to the expansion valve, to save weight and improve access to the engine for maintenance. I've got a GTS and almost always drive with the top off. Anyway, I prefer to drive my car in the early morning or in the evening when there is not so much sunlight/heat (and it doesn't get so hot here as in some locations). Getting out of a cool/cold car into hot, humid weather is not so great either unless you're going directly into an A/C cooled building.

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    It's interesting that he used a 308 condenser to replace his 348 one, for size (capacity) reasons. I had the same thoughts, but since I was starting with a 308, to either go up to something larger, or add a second one.

I'll take some measurements this weekend to see what, if anything is possible. To add a second one - to perform a pre-cooling function to offload some of the load on the stock condenser - I have two thoughts. One, taken from my friend's Pantera, put a small condenser in the engine bay with an electric fan and shroud. There is some space in the 308 engine bay, but the ambient heat may null any effect. The second is, change the front spoiler to a deep chin style, in an attempt to maybe gain some space for a larger or 2nd condenser.

Phil

4. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    My AC works great with 134a. I changed the following: Replaced all ac lines with modern hose, Replaced expansion valve and receiver dryer (all off the shelf stuff from NAPA), Replaced Compressor with Sanden Rotary, Air Conditioning is as good as any modern car. I swear. A buddy of mine wanted the AC in his GTB going again. We did the same thing to his car and found he had a bad condensor. No big deal we installed an aftermarket condensor that will fit a buick grandnational so I was told. I think it was a standard Universal condensor.

Yes it is true that the evap and cond are more suited to R-12 but I will tell you this, the area to be concerned with is the cond. Getting rid of the heat is the key to cold 134a. Don't bother with the evaporator unless it is leaking. Larger more effecient Condensor, mondern compressor, and new exp valve and rec dryer, I promise you will have ice cold air cond in your 308. If your original condensor is fine keep using. it.

If you have a lack of air coming out of the vents the first thing to check is dust and dirt on the blower cage. Clean them and see the difference.

PM if you want part numbers ECT>

Joe Frazar

5. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Man, Joe, I think you may be on to something. redo a 308 with R143a with just an enlarged cond/expansion valve.....TOO MUCH! Too good to be true? Thing is, what is Dr. Tommy gonna say about this....LOL!

PS: did you have to add a bigger cond fan too? Did that expansion valve go into the evap? or somewhere else? Just trying to stay edjukatid.......

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  7. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    If my memory serves me correctly. The Expansion valve goes to something like a mazada 323 - nothing special. All of the 308 stuff is off the shelf ac parts. All is in the same place as stock. The only real diff for 134a is the fact that is runs at higher preasures. These preasures creat more heat on the high side. A larger - let me correct that a more effecient modern condensor does a better job of lowering the heat. Understand that in my personal car I am running the stock condensor. My friend in his gtb is running a converted one. Narrow flat tubes vs. fat round ones on the stock one. The rotary compressor also makes a huge diff.

Joe Frazar

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
  9. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    So, to get a more statistical evaluation, it would be nice to know what the differential temperature is between the air going into your blower motor, in the cab of course, under the dash, and that of the exiting air temp at the vents. Simple and quick to do with a thermometer. Should be 25 deg F or more for GOOD cooling. If you are getting around 18-20 deg, not so good. THAT would be the reason for the gripes of many R134a conversions. I am glad for you.

10. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Sorry for not responding sooner.

No need to touch the dash on your 308 to remove the AC evaporator/blower unit.

Please note that you will have to evacuate the Freon from your AC system.

Bring it to any local AC shop for this part (do not vent to atmosphere, it's illegal).

Please excuse my use of the word gentle everywhere.

I want to stress that if you are all unsure about doing this that you should take it to your mechanic.

I'm not sure what the replacement cost of the evaporator/blower housing is, but it can't be cheap.

Also, the rear evaporator/blower housing mounting bracket is right in the middle of the wiring behing the relay board next to the fuse panel.

If you are not careful you could damage the wiring which could be very expensive to repair.

If you have ever been described as a "bull in a china" shop or get frustrated easily you may want to let someone else do this for you.

The proceedure is not difficult, but you are working in a very tight space (passenger footwell area).

Proceedure (to the best of my memory):

(inside passenger side of car)

1) remove passenger side cover panel in front of the fuse panel.

2) gently push up the relay board until it relases from the plastic pins that hold it in place and then gently pull the relay board towards you so you can access the evaporator/blower housing rear mounting bolts.

3) loosen and remove the two mounting bolts

4) gently move the wires below the rear mounting flange out of the way so the evaporator/blower housing can drop down after the front mounting bolts are removed.

5) Remove floor mat from passenger side floor well.

6) remove black metal bulkhead from front part of passenger footwell (one screw in each corner). Do not pull the panel completely out of the car because ther are two electrical components mounted to the backside of the bulkhead (the dome light timer relay and the safetybelt buzzer).

7) carefully disconnect plugs from the dome light timer relay and the safetybelt buzzer.

8) loosen hose clamp for evaporator drain hose and gently twist and pull off drain hose (front left corner of evaporator/blower housing). No need to remove drain hose from car.

9) pull the two vents above the ceter console out of their mounting plate (no need to pull them completely out, just shy of 2").

10) push the fiberglass housing that feeds the two vents towards the front of the car just enough so it can clear the back of the vent mounting plate so it can drop down and be removed.

11) Remove the black paper hose that connects the fiberglass housing to the evaporator/blower housing.

(outside car under hood)

I would strongly recommend laying a large clean towel on top of your fender to avoid any scratches from jean zippers or belt buckles.

1) remove six (6) philips head screws that secure the fiberglass cover under hood between spare tire and winshield.
    2) Pull up the hood seal off either the driver side or passenger side fender (no need to fully remove the seal, just one side).
    3) remove fiberglass cover

The evaporator connections are located in front of the brake vacuum assist unit (large round gold metal housing).

4) carefully slice the black insulating material covering the fittings and remove.

Be sure to use two wrenches when loosening parts from the evaporator connections. One wrench on the rotating part of the connector and the other wrench on the stationary tube coming from the evaporator core.

It is a good idea to place a rag on top of the fittings after your wrenches are in place just in case there is still some pressure in the system so the lubricating oil does not get in your eyes.

5) loosen and remove the large hoses going to the evaporator core.

The dryer is the black round tube housing attached the the passenger side heater box. It has a sight glass window on the top.

6) loosen and remove the expansion valve (small hose from dryer is attached to the other end of the expansion valve).

7) loosen and remove the two hex head bolts directly in front of the evaporator tubes (between the evaporator tubes and the spare tire well).

8) gently push the rectangular rubber seal that the evaporator tubes pass thru into the passenger footwell area.

9) gently push the evaporator tubes into the passenger footwell area.

(inside passenger side of car)

1) pull the evaporator/blower housing down towards the floor (be sure there are no wires in the way of the rear moutning bracket). You may have to gently twist the evaporator/blower housing so the hose which connects the housing to the dash vents will release.

Please let me know if I left anything out, made any spelling/typos, or if anyone comes up with a better way or suggestions.

11. Billy

Billy Rookie

Nov 1, 2006
    Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    Bill Borum
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, my ADD kicked in and I am not reading this whole thread. You can replace the 6CFM stock compressor with a 10CFM compressor that is a direct bolt in. Just ask for a York R210R compressor, and it is an easy 40% increase in volume to move through the system.

Before I do anything though, I would check the temperature coming out of the vents, if it is in the mid 30's then there is some other problem. Dont forget the greenhouse effect from that huge windshield and also don't forget there are 2 main water tubes that run down the center of the console inside the car that may radiate some heat. Also good to note that if your heater cores get hot then there will always be some heat trying to enter through the vent system, even though your levers may be shut off. The cores should stay cool after a good run with the heat shut off to insure they are not a problem.

Good luck.

12. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Here is an update on my efforts.

1) There is a blower from SPAL with 2 to 3 times the CFM of the stock blower that will fit.

(it's hard to say how much more cfm the new blower will provide because I can not locate any definitive information on the original blower, but this is based on the size of the impeller and the observed amps at full load)

It will require some modification (cutting and drilling) of the stock evaporator housing to fit the new blower.

(a drilling/cutting jig is easy to CNC machine)

The units are not available from SPAL USA and will have to be manufactured in Italy.

I am waiting to hear back on pricing and availability for a bulk order.

2) It should be no problem to replace the clunky inefficient three speed fan knob with a modern variable speed unit.

(not necessary but highly desirable in my opinion)

As previosly discussed in the thread, simply increasing air flow will not cure the problem, the BTU capacity of the system must also be increased. As with any system all component performance characteristics must match, increasing the performance of one components without consideration of the other components will not achieve the desired results.

The easiest way to increase the BTU capacity is to install a larger condenser,

Unfortunately we do not have the room for a larger condenser.

We will have to settle for a more efficient condenser with better cooling airflow.

3) the stock condenser will have to be replaced with a modern design unit (up to 40% more efficient) and the stock front radiator cooling propellers replaced with modern 10" or 12" (the larger the better) cooling fans mounted directly to the front of the condenser.

The cooling fans are necessary for city/traffic driving.

4) I do not believe additional cooling vents/ducts will be required. The factory evaporator/blower housing is connected to the center top dash vent plenum, which in turn is connected to the side defroster vents. If my memory is correct, by closing the outside vents, these side defroster vents are connected to the center plenum. The best way to cool is from the top down and the dash vents are already there waiting to be used.

Additional BTU capacity may be obtained by:

a) remote condenser(s) with cooling fan(s) located somewhere in the car (like early Porsche 911 ac upgrades mounted in the fenders)

b) angle the front radiator/condenser so a larger (taller) unit can be installed (in the same way the factory did with the 328) so the top of the radiator will move foward and the bottom of the radiator will move back.

c) the stock evaporator size cannot be increased due to space limitations under the dash, however a more efficient evaporator can be manufactured to fit the factory housing (same idea as the condenser).

(my goal is to retain a stock appearance and therefore will not consider replacing the evaporator housing)

d) additional performance gains may be achieved by the use of a computer controlled expansion valve

(computer controlled expansion valves are normally used in large refrigeration units to increase efficiency, but I have not been able to located an automotive application, I will discuss the possibilities with manufacturers of the units this week)

More to come.

13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    My thoughts are that size matters. So it is total volume and surface area that counts. Also from what I have read you need a larger volume system for 134A vs. R12. So I am convinced that if you want present technology you need to go with a larger condensor , evaporator and a more efficent compressor. If you make these changes I thing you can greatly improve the system. But like all things you need time and $'s to do this. I converted to 134A when my compressor died. In my part of the country it is sufficent for the few really hot days but for you folks in the hot lands I can understand the need for an ice maker type of system. So good luck and keep us posted on how you improve. Enjoy the ride

14. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #65 Ultimate Pedals, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    This is getting complicated...I might just wait til winter to go for a drive.

16. truman bond

truman bond Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2006
    Keep going Rob,

when you get the solution nailed down 308/328 owners the world over (well at least those who live in the Bahamas/ FL etc....) will be thanking you.

And more importantly prospective 308/328 owners who are in part holding back because they live in the Bahamas (hmmn I wonder who?) and feel a 308 as a daily driver without AC would be insanity will be flying you over for one heck of a party...

so...

keep going Rob.

Just imagine a carbed 308 with ice cold AC. Go Rob... Great thread.

17. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Hi guys,

I'm glad someone has taken the initiative here. I haven't had a chance to do anything with mine.

Overall capacity of the system can also be increased by using a sub-cooler. Check this site out. http://www.rennaire.com/

They have a couple of great articles on the a/c.

Hal

18. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    I just converted my 308 GTSi over to the Darkside of 134a............

My father-in-law converted all the trucks where I work over to 134a last summer. This summer, still no problems and everything is working good. He told me to by a conversion kit from NAPA. Said it would be real easy and it will work fine. He told me that the A/C system in the 308 is in no way different than the trucks at work and that the stories about 134a are just that stories.

I Bought a conversion kit from NAPA for $50.00. Easy to convert. Kit comes with new valves and 3 cans of 134a plus a pressure gauge and valve.

I removed all the remaining R12 from the port in the front compartment next to the Dryer. Real easy, just remove the cap and all the gas will escape. Next I Installed the conversion kit and filled with 134a. All it took was one can to get system pressure on the suction side to reach 45 psi per the instructions. The system is working great and the air is very cold. I will post if there appears to be a problem but for now, everything is great.

Went for a drive today. Outside temp was maybe 95°F. THe A/C was blowing cold the entire time and worked perfect.

Stay Tuned.

Jeff

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Jeff,
    What about:
    1) releasing R12 into the atmosphere? Isn't that illegal?

2) Looks like you didn't vacuum the old oil out, replace drier and expansion valve, and then introduce 134a oil into the system. As I understood it, this could be problematic to parts of the system (o-rings/seals!)

??

Greg

20. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    my thoughts exactly........

21. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    I should have maybe explained better.

The system had very little R12 in it. When I bought the car the A/C did not work because of a leak. I found the leak at the compressor. The hard line that attaches to the compressor top was loose. We found it while doing a vacuum leak down.

Next, all the old oil had been removed and what ever was left came out during the test so the system was empty and had been for a very long time. I tightened the loose conection and installed the new fittings and charged it with the R134a and now it works perfect. If I were going to do this on another car, I would do much the same thing. Remove the compressor and inspect it, Pull a vacuum for a least 2 hours and install the kit.

As far as the Dryer, It appears to be fine and next year when I recharge the system, I will replace it with one from GT Auto Parts.

Jeff

22. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I converted when I had to replace the compressor. I did the York unit because I did not hear of the Sanyo conversion. The replacement compressor I got from NAPA was charged with oil compatable for both R12 and 134A. I vacuum pumped the system for 24 hrs and then replaced the reciever/dryer and checked again for leaks. Charged with 134 to the 80% level and verified pressure on the gages and checked vent temps. System runs fine when the car has been in a garage or in the shade. Cool down is fairly quick. If sitting in the sun on +90 days the greenhouse warming takes more time to cool the car down. But after 4-5 miles it becomes liveable. So considering I only need to use AC maybe 5-10 times during the year it is no problem. I usually drive my car every day unless it is raining and so far I bet I haven't turned on the AC more then 4 times since March. If I ever need to replace the compressor again I'll go the Sanyo route. The Yorks take a lot of drag on the motor and the Sanyo looks to be more efficent. So enjoy the ride.

23. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    You should need at least two cans and the low side pressure should be closer to 25psi.

24. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    Same problem I had with my 1990 mond. I replaced all of the above and it ran cold for a few months in humid n.y. in august. I called my buddy who is an AC expert who put some dye in the system and just as he predicted, there were numerous "micro holes" in the AC hose that runs from the compressor in the rear to the condensor in the front. [Hence the reason it took months to lose the ice cold blast felt when he originally replaced the obvious parts.] Being the good friend that he is, he removed the hose and oem fittings and had a replacement hose made to order using akk oem fittings. Needless to say, a BIT of labor removing and replacing the hose.

Alas, if you want it done right, you must replace that 20 y/0 hose as part of the upgrade. My 12 y/o son now complains that it is too cold!