F149 ALL THE FACTS - Convertible!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F149 ALL THE FACTS - Convertible!!!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by icemanbops, Dec 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
  2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I may be completely wrong, but isn't this car a still born Maserati project that Ferrari have picked up and run with? Can someone clarify for me? If so, then it will be more appropriate to think of this car as a 'junior 612' rather than a competitor to the 430. Thanks.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sometime last year some posted some pics of a Ferrari Patented retracting hardtop design. Can't remember which thread or where to begin looking but think it was related to either discussion of a 599 Superamerica or a hard roofed 430 Spyder.

4. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    I agree. This car sounds just too good.

5. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    500 HP and cheaper than the 430? Makes no sense.

6. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

It makes sense. Just remember that F430 replacement or so called "F142" will jump into much higher price league to current F430 model range. So there will be "F149" to secure this price segement. My dealer told me that there are more and more potential customers, who want to use their F-car daily. So "F149" is F-car to suit their tastes. And "F142" will be much more hardcore and pricey F-car to the current F430. I suppose that after my explanation there is a little bit more clarity in this topic. Best.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thanks again for all of your information, please keep it coming, your doing a great job.

8. babyruth95746

babyruth95746 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    granite bay, ca
    Full Name:
    steve r
    +1 This is exciting/torture at the same time :)

9. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ...You see ?
    I told you guys, I knew it !!!
    it was predicatable , even tho most of the guys around here didn't beleive it (about the price segment)

now let's guess the name or make propositions for future name.

it is supposed to be entry level Ferrari , ala Boxster

entry level "convertible" for poseurs
    F430 succesor will be oriented for real drivers

10. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have heard the same rumours. F149 will be a softer version ala 612 with slower shift times to increase ride comfort etc

11. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

It is rahter hard to say that it will be too soft. My dealer told me that "F149" will employ all newest F-technologies and electronics developed on 599 GTB and 430 Scuderia. Only with time will know the truth. But all what have been rumored about "F149" - that will be equipped with about 500 HP engine, will feature about F430 Berlinetta weight, and all newest electronics and drivng aids - then I really doubt that it will be soft. I suppose that Ferrari is trying to achieve almost imposible - to unite all best characteristics in one car. Hope that it will be done. But thats are only my opinions and predictions. Best.

12. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    I have a Merc SL, and those pics do look like a 599 look model with some kind of retractable roof system.
    If this car is slated to be a less hardcore model than the 430, it would make sense. With the latest
    technologies, shift times wouldnt have to be slower to make it more comfortable. I test drive an Audi
    R8 with sequential shift gear a few days ago, and its a revelation on how smooth it is, even comparing it
    with the 2007 Lambo G, with both sharing basically the same gear box. The Audi tech guy explained it as
    bascially the next gen of sequential shift technologies. I would expect the next model F car to be much
    smoother than the current 430 while maintaining sub 150ms shift times. The R8 I tested had 19 inch wheels
    with magnetic suspension and the ride comfort was an eye opener. Hope this type of suspension comfort
    makes it into the new hardtop F car convertible.

Thanks for your PM Supraman55. Keep us posted on the latest.

Great to be looking forward to a new F model soon. Cheers!

13. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I agree- faster shift times mean less interruption in the flow of power= smoother. Its just how the gear gets engaged which determines this. Btw- I sure hope the F149 is available with a stick shift. IMHO convertible street car, the argument for stick shift gets stronger.

As to its place in the line up, the F430 is such a hit with customers that Ferrari can afford to risk a little cannibalization right now- though I think that is not really going to happen in the real world. As was stated somewhere else, it seem Ferrari is separating its models into GT and a more hard core sports classes. This F149 is the entry GT, the 599 being the high point of the GT class. Then you have the more hard core mid engine based sports class where the F430 successor will go- what comes next in this class? F70? Question I have is- with the F430 successor moving up in price, will Ferrari put out a new entry level sports class vehicle? Do they want or need more than 2 vehicles per class?

best regards,
    Jerry

14. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Good question!

Honestly, I don't get it.
    If the F149 is indeed supposed to be a softer 612, don't you think it would make the 612 redundant?
    Why not go the opposite way and make it the "rawest" 2+2 on the market?

Especially as Ferrari is semingly having trouble selling the 612 (at least from what I've heard).

15. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +2 Definitely interesting. So that means the end for the new "Dino"?

16. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

Yes, Ferrari is separating its model range into GT sportcars and hardcore sportcars. I suppose in close future F-model range will develop in such way:

1) Entry level F-car will be "F149", which will be priced aproximatrly as current F430 Berlinetta.

2) F430 replacement model or so called "F142" will be much more hardcore and pricey F-car in comparison to current F430 series.

3) 599 GTB will the highest point of GT's range. And there will be 599 Spider or 599 GTS to run alongside with 599 GTB and to bring market success of this range to the new level.

4) Enzo successor or so called F70 will be next F-hypercar.

But I really do not see place for 612 or its replacement in this chart.

My dealer told me that there more and more customers showing up, who want to drive F-car daily, they are ready to pay money for rather comfortable and easy-to-drive F-car, better with hard top retractable roof. So there will be "F149" to suite their tastes. And real mid-engined supercar as current F430 range needs to be more hardcore and oriented to real F-drivers. So there will be fast, hardcore, hi-tech equipped and of course much more pricey "F142". I suppose that Ferrari knows what they are doing.

As mentioned, I do not see a place for 612 in this future F-model range. And who said that "F149" will be soft. As my dealer assured me it will be the "rawest" car in its market segement, so you do not have to worry.
    It will be rather unique F-car, just because you will be able to choose if you want it to be 2+2 or you want it be two seater equipped with rear bagage shelf as 599 GTB. So I do not see any cases to worry - "F149" will be real F-car. Best.

17. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Wow it amazes me some of the comments on here with the F149 replacing the 612 and stuff. Have people forgotten that two of Ferraris longest production cars were the 400i series and Mondial, both made at the same time and both 2+2. There is room in the market for both cars as both will be for customers with different needs. If you look at Mercedes they make about 5 saloon car types, 5 coupe types, and 3 SUV types, if you include Maclaren and Maybach. and the amazing thing is they all sell.

18. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    All I said, to be perfectly clear, is that the F149 will be a rather softer car as part of the 2+2 line. Softer is in comparison with the hardercore sports line. Seems obvious doesn't it... The F149 is aimed at Aston, Merc SL and Porsche. It will not be soft compared with it's peers

The 612 will survive as the flagship of the 2+2 line. There will be an M and ultimately a successor model.

The F142 needs to be more expensive and faster than the F430 to keep up with the escalation in the segment. It will no longer be a particularly easy entry Fcar or necessarily to everyone's taste as a DD.

Product lines make perfect sense to me.

I am waiting for an environmentally friendly Fcar. That would be top of my list

19. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

Speaking about "F149" softness, I have to mentioned that my dealer told me that Ferrari will use 599 GTB philosophy on "F149" to unite supercar's dynamics and good comfort in one piece.

You mentioned absolutely correct that ""F142" will be more hardcore and more pricey than F430. Best.

20. Enzo66

Enzo66 Rookie

Nov 6, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    Will
    good news cuz i think that ferrari need to add a couple of cars to its range. Im not on expert but i think this is how it should be. In the next few years when Ferrari get more capacity to build more cars.

Base model with about 450hp a toned down f430
    Current f430
    keep the 599 but face lift and update the 612
    Put in some new mid range hardcore supercar with about 600hp
    Top of range f70 with about 800hp

Just my ideas

21. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    F70 is a supercar and in the range as a limited production impossible to get except for the privileged few. It has nothing to do with the 2 range approach. Ferrari has had a supercar in the line-up since the GTO from time to time

22. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    With ****ty City Roads and Construction everywhere this car is a God Send, can't wait to see it. Thanks for the Heads up, time to visit my Ferrari dealer.

S

23. petert

petert Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Wow! Thanks! Sounds like it's time to trade in my M6 for this!!!

24. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell

Hmmm. I would see it as separate GT sportscars and Hardcore Sportscar as you mention, which is good, but I see a gap in you line up.

1 - V8 GT (F149)
    2 - V8 Hardcore (F142)
    3 - V12 GT (599GTB/GTS)
    4 - V12 Hardcore (Some midengined rocketship)
    5 - Executive GT (612)
    ( 6 - Über Ferrari (F70) )

So, anynews on a V12 Midengine rocketship, a new boxer, new 512???

Anyways, The F149 seems nice even if I would have rather seen it with a cloth top, but I'll give it benefit of doubt.

25. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    Everything is coreect, except point 4. I have not heard any news or even any word about this type of Ferrari in near future. I think this model range belongs to the past. There were NO rumors about it in press too. Everuthing else is correct. We will see that separation in next few years. Best.