Optima battery failed after only 4 months! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Optima battery failed after only 4 months!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAMMER, Feb 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I keep my Red Top on a battery tender on one of my cars now for two winters no problems.

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Just finished changing out the Optima Red Top battery I purchased on 1/13/08. Seems it was bad when I bought it. But the store took it back and gave me a new one. They said that the Optima couldn't be tested. New one in now, let's see how it goes.
    Scott

3. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I have about 20 Optima batteries in my toys (red, yellow, and blue), and have had to replace at least half of them within a year. The guy at the battery store told me that the military is now using Optimas and the public gets the leftovers. That doesnt make sense to me, but I heard it from a salesman at Batteries Plus, as well.

4. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    I have an OPTIMA (red top)that is 4 years old and it has been trouble-free.My car can sit for three weeks without a battery tender and it cranks over without hesitation.When it 's time to replace my battery ,I will stay with OPTIMA...........

5. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

That's a decent record but nothing special. My inexpensive lead-acid batteries will do the same. Not slamming your choice of batteries but just indicating that I would be surprised to experience anything less with a "normal" battery.

6. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Just as a suggestion the BMW M3 CSL / Mini battery is around 34 lbs (as light as an Optima red top) and is made by Exide:
    BMW Part Number 61216920804 (around $115.00, less than an Optima red top).

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interstate Battery MT-34 $82.00

8. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    i've had good luck with Duralast batteries

FWIW

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    The saying is actually 'I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong'.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Yea, but if your lead acid battery overflows you have a major corrosion problem ...

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    If it overflows you have major battery/alternator/voltage regulator problems. I've never seen a battery overflow. Maybe you could spill battery acid not being careful when you install or remove the battery or add water. As I mentioned before, people should be checking their batteries at least twice a year (along with your spare tire). Water level, corrosion on the terminals. Any corrosion found on the battery tray should be neutralized with some baking soda.

My 14 year old Saab has had only el cheapo batteries ($40~$50). I think 2 or 3 in 14 years. Never a problem and not any sign whatsoever of corrosion on the terminals or any corrosion on the battery tray or surrounding metal.

13. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Three days, no problems! Still starts :)

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The original ones seemed to be better than the more recent production of the past couple years.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes! I have the Sears Platinum AGM. 880 CCA too! Top rated by Consumer Reports. Only issue is they only come in Group 34, so the terminals are opposite of what Ferrari requires (Group 34R). BUT, on the 355, the cables are long enough to reach, so no problem.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P

The other option might be to buy the Marine version, which has the screw terminals more in the center of the battery. You would need terminal adapters to convert them to standard posts, but they would likely reach the cables that way.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850134000P

16. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Heck

Optima is now owned by interstate batteries, which is owned by Johnson Controls/Enersys

the Optima has had it's issues with quality control. I spent quite a few long conversation with one of the engineers in Colorado.
    That was about 10 years ago. My company used to use a few thousand Optima yellow and blue tops. . Not any more. But, having said that. 9 years in my 308 and 8 years in my mustang. both yellow top.

the correct application is important.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima claims the red top can be left for 12 months without charging:

Benefits and Applications:
    Longer life
    Lasts up to 2 times longer than traditional flat-plate batteries.
    Optimal starting power
    More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead-acid batteries.
    Higher reserve capacity
    Constant performance quality, which keeps your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
    Longer shelf-life (lower self-discharge)
    Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a vehicle.
    Vibration resistance
    15 times more resistant to vibration than traditional lead-acid batteries.
    Leak-proof
    Mountable in almost any position.

18. md88plt

md88plt Karting
    BANNED

Mar 4, 2008
    usa
    Full Name:
    dc
    I have red top in Spider and GT4. So far the Spider Red Top has out lasted any other batter plus is does not leak like the Interstate previous.

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    All three of my cars got new batteries this year. After coming home from two months of being on the road the only car that started was the 308.

So i started it up and ran off to do errands.

Napa house brand battery seems to hold the charge.

20. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    My Optima died in my F355 Spider after a matter of months. It was hooked up to a battery tender. Autozone offered me a pro-rated refund if I broght it back in. So I did just that. They looked me up in the computer and found out when I bought it and gave me cash that I put towards a new battery. That is a policy of Optima and not of Autozone.

enzo

21. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Right, but why waste a good can of Coca Cola (not coke)?? Just put a teaspn of arm and hammer baking soda into a glass of water, stir, and pour onto terminal. Then rinse well.
    save the cola for drinking, if you dont mind gulping the phosphoric acid into your stomach instead.....

22. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    How do you check the battery easily in a F355?

Gary

23. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Sorry, there isn't an easy way other then when the car doesn't start! It isn't really that difficult. Take off the front right wheel, remove the panel and there it is.

24. ferrarifxr

ferrarifxr Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    Winnetka Ca USA
    I have replaced many Optimas in many models of F cars..i think it just takes to long for them to recover lost charge during short trips where as lead acid can recover much quicker..i say stay away...unless you like looking at a cool battery until help arrives

25. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    LOL.