Running issues with '88 Testarossa. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Running issues with '88 Testarossa.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by uzz32soarer, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Nope, plugs, leads and extenders are all great. Ditto for caps and rotors. I did those al first as comparatively they were easy.

2. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I have some results to report in Steve.

TR coolant thermister resistance test. Ambient air temperature here today was 18 deg C. I ran the car for three or four minutes to check idle so it wasn't dead cold but pretty close to cold.

Measuring from pin 21 to pin 2 on the unplugged harness connector.

Rear ECU measured 2265 ohms. Front ECU measured 2173 ohms. I estimate my coolant temp to be around 20 - 25 deg C so looking at the sliding scale on the graph, these figures look about right.

----------------------------------------------------------------

TR EM Pressure Actuator Coil Resistance Test

Measuring form Pin 10 to Pin 12.

Rear ECU = 18.4 ohms
    Front ECU = 18.3 ohms

Water Thermoswitch

Measuring voltage on the red wire with engine running I have +14.47v

TR throttle microswitch resistence test

Measuring between pins 1 and 13 on the ECU Harness.

These results are inconclusive probably due to the few minutes that the engine ran prior to the test. Rear ECU read 0.03ohms at rest and open curcuit when throttle opened even the smallest amount. Front ECU read 0.04ohms and then straight to open curcuit.

I know this should have read 140 ohms on a cold engine, but this didn't happen. I will redo this test in a few hours when the engine is dead cold again.

I'm about to start on the airflow meter senso potentiometer test, so will post results once this is done. 4 down, two to go.

3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Airflow meter sensor potentiometer test

Something not right here.

I removed the two fuel pump relays then connected a wire from the big positive on the starter to the white wire with blue trace which I removed from the starter. There was a small audible click as I touched this which I presume was the relay closing?

I then tried measuring the voltage between the two bottom pins and an earth point as instructed. I got zero volts yet I should of had 7-8v on each. Both measured zero.

Then I tried the centre pin which also had zero, and even whilst pressing the airflow plate I had nothing. So I may have an issue here.

I did all of this with the ECU connectors still off, so not knowing where to go next, I reconnected the two ECU's and tried again. Same result. Zero voltage!!

Once the ECU's were connected I tried to start the car and it took ages of spinning over before it actually fired. Don't know if that's normal either?

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Robert - perhaps this may be of help. I suspect that the flexible rubber (black) tube that you found going into a cannister that had vacuum pulled through it is the vacuum assist for the baffles in the air conditioning / ducting system under the dash. If you remove this black tube from the cannister (reservoir) located over the left rear wheel, the air venting in your passenger compartment will no longer work. That is, the ducting will not change when you press the A/C buttons from defrost to dash flow.

These ducts are vacuum assisted.

The important issue is that if the vacuum tube is removed or violated, then air will leak into the manifold of the left bank (that is where the vacuum is generated). This can lead to a mixture problem. I know this because at one time my ducting failed to work (defroster would not work). Upon finding the source of the problem, I noted that the end of the black tube had become dry and cracked, and was no longer creating an air-tight seal with the cannister. It was sucking air thereby eliminating the negative pressure. I clipped off an inch of the tube to come to fresh rubber. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Jim S.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You must have the injection ECUs plugged in when you measure for the 8V at the airflow potentiometers -- so your getting nothing when they were unplugged was the correct result, but it's odd that you didn't get the 8V when you plugged them back in. The injection ECUs make the +8V out of the same +12V on the red wire at the water thermoswitch so you might go back and confirm that you've still got the +12V on the red wire (I say +12V, but it's really the output of the alternator so the ~14.5V is OK for what I'm calling "+12V").

6. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Steve, do I take the white / blue wire off the starter and supply it with 12v or leave it attached to the alternator and supply it with 12v.

Pretty cool when I’m in my shed on the other side of the World and you are advising me from the USA at the same time. Gotta love the Ferrari World.

Jim. The vacuum canister is fine. This was the vacuum line that goes from the front of the LHS manifold to the ignition computer that had fallen off.

7. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Okay, I've double checked the voltage to the red wire on the water temp sensor and that's fine at 14v.

So I pulled the fuel pump relays again and hooked 12v from the starter to the white / blue wire at the starter to set the relay. Checked both pins again, definately zero voltage there. Also checked by putting my negative probe to the top pin and positive probe to the bottom pin, looking for earth at the top pin. Same thing - zero voltage.

So, looks like there is a definate issue here. Could the system go into some kind of 'limp' mode when there is no voltage signal at these pins or what would the effects be on the fueling system?

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Rob – I emailed you Fig 3 (the injection system) from the 459/86 TR wiring diagram for your model. It is so wonderfully simple compared to the US version ;), but it has the exact same architecture for the wires going to the airflow potentiometers so I can’t see how it should work any differently. It is true that I only have Diagnosis Sheet N. 6 (for the US TR) and your model is actually covered by Diagnosis Sheet N. 5; however, I have reviewed the actual schematics of both, and, in both cases, there is no reason why having the ignition key “on” or “off” would make any difference (as long as you’ve got the red wire at +12V). In Diag. Sh. 6, it does say “injection ECUs connected and ignition key ‘on’” for the measurement conditions at the airflow potentiometer wires so it wouldn’t hurt to retry with the key “on” (but I’ll be shocked if it makes a difference -- my guess is that “with +12V power applied to the injection system” -- i.e. red wire at +12V got confused into “with the key ‘on’” somewhere along the way).

I’d be very surprised if you had the exact same fault inside both injection ECUs, so you might want to try confirming that +12V power AND ground is actually reaching the injection ECUs. Having the red wire at +12V is a very good sign that the +12V is reaching them because the food chain is:

+12V from battery -to- relay C terminal 30 -to- relay C terminal 87 -to- 1/6 injection ECU pin 1 -to- 7/12 injection ECU pin 1 -to- 2-way splitter -to- water thermoswitch (and the other branch goes to the throttle microswitch)

Since you are making the +12V measurement at the end of this chain, there’s a good chance it’s OK at the ECUs IMO. Checking the ground is a more difficult situation because the food chain is:

Ground connection at engine -to- 3-way splitter where:
    One branch goes to relay C terminal 31
    One branch goes to 1/6 injection ECU pin 2
    One branch goes to 7/12 injection ECU pin 2

Since your relay C is working, that confirms that its ground connection isn’t horrible, but it really doesn’t guarantee that the other ground connections are OK (if there is a problem at the 3-way splitter). Bottom line is that what you’d like to measure is the voltage between pin 1 and pin 2 right at each injection ECU with everything plugged in and while the red wire is at +12V (or the engine is running) -- should be +12V -- but this is difficult without the special interconnection box. I can’t recall if you can remove the back connector shell enough on the 25-pin connectors to make a measurement while they are plugged in.

If you do have +12V power between pin 1 and pin 2 at the injection ECUs, but no 7~8V between pin 18 and pin 14, that would be a bad sign IMO.

PS For the Throttle Microswitch Resistance Test, the “140 ohm when cold” part only applies to US version TR. On your model (KE-Jet without Lambda), it should be 0 Ohms at idle and infinite ohms off-idle regardless of cold or warm conditions – sorry for the confusion (and yours seems OK).

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #34 Steve Magnusson, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
    I forgot to add that you can try making an easier-to-do resistance measurement to see if the wires going to pin 2 on the injection ECUs are a good ground (but I think that the functional voltage measurement with everything plugged in and actually working is a more reliable test for determining good vs bad). To make the resistance measurement:

1. key "off"

2. unplug both injection ECUs

3. unplug the large round C12 connector from the triangular black box

4. measure the resistance from the female metal pin 2 terminal in the (unplugged) 25-pin injection ECU connector on the harness side to the engine block or cylinder head -- should be 0 Ohms (or a few tenths of an Ohm maximum).

5. repeat step 4 for the other 25-pin injection ECU harness connector -- should also be 0 Ohms (or a few tenths of an Ohm maximum).

10. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Did a fair bit of fiddling around today. I needed to be comfortable with the wiring schematics and make sure I could understand it before I went any further.

There was a bunch of things needed to be checked, but before I did this I ran the same test again, but this time with ignition on............bugger me if I now got an 8v reading at the bottom pin. Centre pin showed zero volts and as I slowly pushed down with my finger on the plate it went all the way to 7.98v with the plate right at the bottom.

So it looks like that part is okay after all.

So we learn something every day eh Steve. Ignition ON required on a late model Euro spec car.

Next thing was to do Stev'e last check which required getting in to the back of the ECU plugs so I could test things with the car running. Wasn't too bad getting into the plugs, just had to take care sliding the factory shrink covering back and then peeling the rubber back on itself. Pics below.

With the car running I have a 14.45v reading between pins 1 and 2 on both ECU's.

Next I pulled out the triangular box and removed the two round plugs (without buggering them!). This box simply holds three relays out of harms way and is far from complex. Pics below of the relays.

Starting with Relay C terminal 30 I checked voltage with Ign ON and had 11.8v using terminal 31 s the ground.Keeping Terminal 31 as ground I checked pins 1 on each fuel ECU and had the same 11.8v. All good.

Then I held my probe on Relay C terminal 30 as a constant voltage and checked the earths on the two relays D and E, and then on pins 2 of both fuel ECU's and got good grounds on all four spots.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So at this stage I have passed all tests, once we realized that IGN must be ON to perform these tests.

Back to square one it seems!!

One thing bothers me a bit is that relays D and E are listed as Control relay for enrichment under acceleration and control switch relay for enrichment under acceleration. This rings ALARM bells to me as this is where my car appears to be crazy lean. Could there still be an issue with these two relays? Are there further test proceedures to verify that these two relays are working right, and are in fact the right components as they have different numbers as can be seen in the images below.

11. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I did this one too Steve. 0.4 ohms from one ECU and 0.3 ohms from the other when going straight to the rocker cover bolts.

12. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #37 uzz32soarer, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #38 uzz32soarer, Jun 6, 2008
  14. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #39 uzz32soarer, Jun 6, 2008
  15. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Just want to say thanks for helping you guys, especially to Steve. It's pretty hard sometimes as there are very few owners down here that would even attempt to work on their own cars, so the knowledge base is very limited. Even though blokes like Steve are 16 hours behind on the time line, it's great to wake up in the morning, check FChat and emails, and get my next set of daily test proceedures.

I just posted up those images at 9pm Friday night my time, and then realized that Steve and others are tucked up in bed at 5am Friday morning. The world wide web certainly has shrunk this planet of ours making communication between all us crazy car nuts just so easy, it's great.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #41 Steve Magnusson, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
    Certainly, and it's probably the same for every version KE-Jet TR (I've made this same measurement on my TR twice before, but obviously forgot the details so am relearning ;)). There is no direct connection from a key powered +12V source to the injection ECU (on any KE-Jet TR) so it must have enough smarts inside to look for the presence of another signal that is based on the key being "on" -- like the tach signal from the ignition ECU being present (even if "0") -- just a guess.

Those translations are a little misleading. Both relays are only involved in firing, or inhibiting from firing, the cold start injectors (not the general A/F ratio during warm-running).

Yes, it's sort of bad news when everything measures OK. ;)

17. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    What else could be causing the car to run so lean Steve? Is there anything else on the fuel side or should I look at ignition module and see if it's advancing or retarding properly?

I'm really guessing now.

18. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Vacuum leak...intake manifold...control tube...brake assist?

Jim S.

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is a very confusing thread to say the least. I agree with jselevan in that it could be a vacuum leak problem. But why only at such a specific rpm range? What specific conditions are occuring at the rpm range with the car warmed up and running down the road? What sort of vacuum problem would affect BOTH cylinder banks? Could the vacuum problem be intermittent, not always there, but happening only under certain conditions? Did the mechanic know of this "surging & bucking" condition when he set the fuel mixtures? Sorry to be so vague, without any direction....just tossing out some random questions.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #45 Steve Magnusson, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
    Rob -- You'll need to make your own decisions about where to go next or what to do (some things are not a trivial amount of work so I'm uncomfortable saying do this or do that). You've completed the initial electrical tests that check the various input signals to the injection ECUs. The more difficult electrical tests are checking what the outputs of the injection ECUs are doing under various conditions -- i.e., measuring the voltage from pin 10 to pin 12 (or the current flowing from pin 10 to pin 12), but this can be dangerous -- if pin 10 gets shorted to pin 12 (even momentarily), it will blow up the injection ECU (this is where using the special interconnection box is much safer than a manual probing method). I don't know if the pin 10 to pin 12 tests on Diag. Sh. N. 6 are exactly the same as those on Diag. Sh. N. 5 for your model, but I think it would be better to do some of the simple tests on the other systems before digging into the difficult electrical tests (and you may need to get a copy of Diag. Sh. N. 5 if you want to do the more advanced electrical output tests):

Ignition -- why not put a timing light on it and make sure the idle timing is OKish and that the advance seems to work OK? It's relatively easy and quick -- unlike a 400i ;).

Intake -- per Jim's suggestion, study the places where (unwanted) air could enter the intake tract (without deflecting the airflow metering plate) and try to make sure things are OK -- no cracked hoses, the brake booster will hold a vacuum, etc..

Fuel -- the advantage of the KE-Jet system is that it doesn't have a warm-up regulator so there's really only one critical input pressure to measure -- the regulated supply pressure. I have to agree with Jeff's sentiment that it's hard to see how a problem here could affect both banks simultaneously, but it wouldn't hurt IMO to confirm the regulated fuel pressures are in spec. The more advanced fuel measurements involve measuring the actual discharge rate from each injectors (at low and high flow rates) either using the factory rotameter device, or I've had reasonable results with 100mL graduated cylinders (getting about 20mL in 3 minutes holding the airflow metering plate in the approximate idle location, and about 40 mL in 1 minute holding the airflow metering plate down 5~6 mm -- and you could do more intermediate points):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Welcome to Gremlin hunting -- it's not easy ;)

21. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What is the air-fuel ratio at idle? I see where at cruise it was very lean, and on acceleration that the mixture level never got down into the 14 range. If the a/f ratio at idle is also lean, then perhaps the actual base line mixtures are off? If the car had O2 sensors it would be great to see the signal values being sent to the ECUs, but unfortunately that is not the case here.

I'm thinking the only way to get to the bottom of this is to start from square one. First verify that the air flow metering plates (engine off) are in the proper position in the barrel portion of the air diffuser housings. Next would be to verify throttle plate actuation, they must be in sync with each other, not just close but perfect. Check the routings of all vacuum hoses and their condition. Is there a way to put vacuum to the Ingition brain and measure the output changes with the car sitting still? Unplug and inspect every dog-gone electrical connection, including the fuse panel, and re-plug everything. Verify that the auxiliary air valves are working properly. If I can think of any other nonsensical task to perform...I'll post.

Accept my apologies for rambling on here. But I would like to see this problem solved. The reason is that about a year ago I read through Robert's postings about the electrical system fixes that he has done...and using that information I was able to fix my own Testarossa's mother board. So I would really like to see a successful conclusion to this thread....Robert certainly deserves it.....

22. northern frog

northern frog Karting

Oct 26, 2007
    Calgary Alberta Cana
    This is really puzzling, and as such quite interesting. Perhaps more so for us than for you trying to fix it. Silver lining is when this is done you and Steve will be the top world experts for the TR ke fuel injection. But it seems to me that you may have two problems:
    1 Car runs way too lean
    2 car bucks at a well defined rpm (and throttle opening)
    The two may or may not be related. The strong dependency on rpm may indicate that a connection or wire enters into some sort of resonance and either opens or short the circuit. If that is so you would have to make all the measurements with the engine reving at 2500 rpm!!! Could be an old solder, a kinked wire, corroded connector. Could even be in the ignition. If you go through the critical rev range quickly the resonance has no time to get going. For example if the wires in your flywheel rev sensor vibrate and short (or disconnect) themselves at 2500 rpm that would affect both the ignition and the fuel injection through the tach relay which would kill the fuel pumps I think.
    Could you trick the ECU into thinking the engine is cold which would tend to enrich the mixture and see if the bucking problem remains?

23. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Yes Jeff, the mechanic knew of the surging and bucking at time of tune up. It also had crap idle, reving and dying till it warmed up. Since the tune the idle has been superb and the general drivability of the car has improved ten fold, but not this 2500 - 3200 glitch. If I'm cruising in 5th at 106 km/ph, it will do it every time. If I slip it back to 4th at the same speed I'm just outside 3200 rpm and it will cruise effortlessly all day long.

Similarly, 4th at a bit over 80 kmph puts it around 2600 rpm, and it willplay up, so I can either rev it harder using third, or drop to top and come down to 2000 rpm but then it's not as quick to respond and generally at 80 I'm in traffic somewhere.

At idle the car runs perfectly, not lumpy at all so I don't think there could be a vacuum leak, but then again, it has always had pretty average brakes and people have told me that is unusual for a TR and that I should check my booster for vacuum!

Steve, where do I get my hands on these other test sheets. I don't mind doing the tests at all and will jury rig something to ensure I don't blow the old girl up. I have no Ferrari mechanics in Melbourne who can assist with this. Even Ferrari Fixer would be in the same boat as me, test upon test upon test until a resolution. He spoke to me last week at about the 25 hour mark, which would have equated to over $2k outlay had he been doing Steve's tests rather than me. Besides, he is in the UK on leave at present.

Jeff, AFR's at idle is around 15.8 and no mater what I try I can't get it better than that.

Should I change out the ignition module? I can't think of how the ignition timing could retard or advance me enough to run so lean, but hey, I have to try something.

24. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Maybe Steve can help here. I've tested the temp sensor for +12v input on the red wire, but what if the temp sensor was crook and not outputting properly, telling the fuel ECU's the wrong engine temps? If it thought that the car was too hot, wouldn't it lean it off? Similarly, if the sensor read too cold, then it would let the ECU's richen the mixtures up!

Just stabbing around in the dark here!

25. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Robert...regarding the AFR at idle of 15.8? Are you saying that no matter how much you adjust the mixture screws the AFR stays the same? Or is the AFR staying at this level, while your doing everything BUT adjusting the mixture?

This next bit of advice comes with a disclaimer...."use at your own discretion".....

IF EVERYTHING checks, all electrical and mechanical components, with nothing apparently wrong. Then I would --slightly-- tweak the mixture a bit more rich. First off, stick a wrench into the mixture screws and use some method of marking the position of the wrench/screws in their current position. This way you can go back to a baseline if you get things messed up. Now turn both adjustment screws about 10 degrees clockwise from their current position. Then drive the car and see what happens. If things improve try another 5 degrees turn and see what happens. The mixture adjustments should be done in VERY small incremental changes. An AFR of 15.8 is too lean in my opinion, you want to be in the 15.0 range at idle. At wide open throttle an AFR around 12.8 to 13.2 is okay - again just my opinion.

I'm getting the feeling that the problem is AFR related.