Made to Measure shirt question...... | FerrariChat

Made to Measure shirt question......

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Kds, Jan 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Gonna get me some for my suits.

What is the best fabric ? Any hints ?

You've got 100% Egyptian 200 thread cotton, silk, linen, pinpoint, various blends....etc......etc.

Am leaning towards a cotton blend actually because of durability, the crisp finish when starched, and reduced shrinkage from commercial laundries....anyone here buy MTM shirts and have any tips for a newbie ?

TIA for any answers......

2. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I would only go with 100% Egyptian cotton. It breathes, its comfortable, and looks good with a suit and can be worn for less formal occasions too. I suppose if you live in a tropical area, you might consider linen, but I've never liked linen. I don't care for its appearnace, its texture, or how wrinkled it looks if its 100% linen. I am also not a fan of silk for a men's shirt. I find them too casual and a bit sleezy looking with a suit. You should definitely talk to the shirt maker about what your needs are, and to discuss your concerns about shrinkage due to laundering. Also if you use starch request very very light starch, because it breaks down fibers and is not really good for finely made dress shirts.

Best regards,
    Dino

3. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1 on the starch.

I have always stayed with cotton only.

4. Joe 575

Joe 575 Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal/Carmel
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anto in Beverly Hills. Massive selection of Swiss and Italian fabrics. They work worldwide and do laundry as well. By the way no starch in custom shirts. Ask for Jack Sepetjian he and his brother own the shop. They also do the shirts for almost every movie made. I have been using them for years and they are tremendous. They have roots going back to the 50's with Nat Wise who was on Sunset and was shirtmaker to the stars.

5. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    100% cotton. The funny thing is the nicer the fabric, the easier it wrinkles. Wear your watch when you get fitted so the cuff fits. I use Ascot Chang.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Thanks for the answers.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Be careful, because once you do this there is no going back ;-) The one thing I really noticed when I first went for MTM shirts were the fit of the collar both in size and in height on the neck - a small detail which is hardly ever mentioned but really gives a much better look to the shirt when fitted properly. Okay now how about those Bears.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#8 Kds, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    Oh yeah....gonna do a bespoke test shirt first and go from there once it is measured up. I imagine there will be a few alterations to be made before I am finally happy with the actual fit and order the 30 pieces I plan to. I will launder the test shirt about a dozen times and then get re-measured two or three times as well, for exact fitment to my specs when taking shrinkage into account. I like my collars loose, but the body of the shirt to fit close.....so there is bit of risk here in the final sizing.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

They take into account shrinkage.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I use a tailor in BKK that specializes in suits for the Secret Service and other agencies.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

My test shirt arrives today via FEDEX from BKK............gonna post some pics and comments later.......$39 USD per shirt for any style, tailoring and fabric.......with in person bespoke measuring.

12. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    A Chang is amazing. They don't only do MtM, but also bespoke (route I chose).

Big choice of fabrics as well.

13. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Wow 39 bucks where did you buy from?

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'll tell you when I post the pics later next week......the test shirt was fabulous and I had a few small alterations made to the final order. Bare in mind I ordered 28 shirts.......that had an effect on the pricing.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've had shirts made in Korea that worked really well for every day wear, nice but not perfect. I spluged on the last MTM shirt and had a Kiton shirt made. Absolutely the best shirt I ever owned fit and detail wise, but it cost me close to $600. Iron them yourself, the hacks down the street are trying to turn around clothes and destroy them in the process.

16. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was quoted $140-up for custom made shirts. Fair price? I've heard many many good things about the company.

17. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    It depends a lot on the material and on the work performed. Some companies in europe use a machine to make "made to measure" shirts.

The question is a bit like saying, got an offer for a new car, $ 45k, is it a good price :) ?

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#18 Kds, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    Got my bespoke shirt order last week and am wearing one today for the first time. Pics to follow tonight when I get home.

The fit, finish, stitching, fabric and attention to detail are amazing. The customer service from my tailor was also outstanding.

www.onlinesuits.com

$39 USD each delivered, duty and tax was additional depending on where you live (I paid a total of $1,030 USD for 28 shirts "all in" because if you buy 10 you get 4 more for free)..........I went for pinpoint oxford cloth because it holds a crisp starched finish longer than most fabrics. I had the following details performed, all at no extra cost......

-longer tails in the back
    -wide spread English collars
    -regular french cuffs (as opposed to barrel french cuffs)
    -no pocket
    -no placket
    -plain back

Every single tailor where I live here in Calgary wanted between $200-600 for one shirt, and would have come down $100 per piece if I ordered 10+........and I doubt they would have been better than what I have.

19. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Any updates on how the shirts worked out?

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Fair? Absolutely not!!

21. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#21 Kds, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    OC Speed Junkie.....

If you were talking to me, the shirts were perfect. Been wearing them daily and get lots of compliments. They are holding up well to commercial laundering. No wear and tear can be seen anywhere.

Going to order some suits next time he comes to town in September.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Pics?

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#23 Kds, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    OK.........in a day or two........I've still got some in the plastic.

24. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thank you for the update. My biggest concern was how well they would hold up

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I ordered custom shirts once. Midgrade stuff, about $100/each... Ordered through Marshall Fields (I think) in Chicago...

The shirts didn't last a long time. Stitching kept working its way loose, around the collar, button holes, etc... Fabric was very nice, don't remember the type...

Went back to off the rack, as it wears better...