Need detailed step-by-step removal process for Hood Struts for 355 | FerrariChat

Need detailed step-by-step removal process for Hood Struts for 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nero308, Jul 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    Could someone share a knowledge on how to remove the hood struts for 355? Appreciate your help!!

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  3. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
  4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #4 No Doubt, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Here are a couple of pics from Pap348. These are the main two styles of struts. You'll have one or both (if a prior owner mixed types) on your car.

The first has a wire "lock" that holds that round ball inside the black plastic cap on the end of the strut. The very end of this wire "lock" is just a straight little tip of metal, and it pokes into the black plast cap on the strut to lock the ball so that the strut stays installed.

If you have this type of strut, then place a flatblade screwdriver as shown in the picture and pull the little metal lock tip out of its hole in the black plast cap. Then put your hand on the top of the strut and yank. Wallah! One end of the strut is off. Repeat as needed.

The second type of strut has a wider wire clamp. Review the second picture below. Insert your flatblade screwdriver as shown, then pull/pry the wide metal clamp such that it moves away from the black plastic cap 3/8" or so. Then put your hand on the top of the strut and yank. Wallah! One end of the strut is off. Repeat as needed.

Easy peasy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    Thanks for the thorough ealk-through the types and the removal method. The pictures are very useful. I believe the type I have on my car is the "wired' version. At a glance, I did not notice the wire but it seems to be there. I will try it now. Thanks for all the help.

6. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    I have just successfully replaced the both the hood struts for the front. It was easier to remove the wire holding the upper ball than the one in the bottom as the space was much tighter and darker. But, after 20 minutes or so, I now have the struts that actually hold the hood in the still position. Bug thanks to you two!!

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    It's a good feeling. Nice F-chat follow-up for this thread, too. Kudos. Life is good.