Miscellaneous Car News | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Miscellaneous Car News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Mar 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes it's incredible isn't it. I particularly like how he has solved the dust/dirt problem by using "normal" house doors with proper seals rather than your typical garage roller doors. The roller doors are impossible to seal and wind blows dust and crap inside through the gaps. When you have your daily driver cars in with the good stuff it makes cleaning even harder. The entry door is open constantly in all weather and the daily cars quickly mess the floor finishes. Add a wife who forgets to close the garage door on a regular basis and you may as well forget about any concept of a display garage.

If I was building again I would have separate garage for the daily cars and a display garage/office for the good stuff like this guy has done. Maybe I should buy the house next door, knock it down and do this one day :)

In any case, what this guy has done is just about as good as it gets IMO.

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    VERY!

But *white* shiny floor? How is it even possible not to leave trail inside even if you were completely anal about washing it before every entry back in.

I know I couldn't be bothered with 1/10th the effort it would require to maintain it to that level as I'd rather drive them regularly. And as for the final stretch of dirt road leading to here..

Great idea though.. with kitchenette & bathroom off to the side it gives me a great idea about next home office setup.. I've got the acreage for it..

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    go on, you know you want to :)

tell V it adds to the value of the house and will get all your "stuff" out of the main house :D

seeing all these garages makes me want to build again ...... been promised a divorce if I do :(

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    good enough reason.

6. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    for her. ;)

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The house next door is a "knockdown" so that's a good start. No doubt it would earn me a divorce too :)

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #308 Aircon, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Someone just bought this Prius. it's a 2005 I-tech with 21000km for only $25k!! that cost the original owner about $1 per km in depreciation. not as good as i thought....but I guess now with almost 13000 sold they're not in such short supply, so they're hit hard like every other car.....anyway...try doing THIS in your diesel.

normal driving...williamstown to toorak (via power st exit). first 5 mins is warm up phase...always 'poor' consumption until engine's warm.
    Try this in your diesel in city driving.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    why would anyone go to Williamstown ??? :p

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have no good answer.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    you mean to get up to 'no good' ?

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #312 Aircon, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    lights up like a christmas tree.

so apart from self parking, radar cruise control, crash avoidance, rear CCTV, keyless entry, heads up display for dashboard AND sat nat, solar panel roof, and all sorts of other high tech goodies, and all for less than $60k, it also lights up like a christmas tree!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JinEldh7kQ

Top Gear has decided to answer the question many of us have been asking; can the new Jaguar XF-R be a legitimate alternative to the BMW M5?

On paper, the comparison looks quite promising. The Jag features a 5.0-liter supercharged V8 engine which produces 510 hp (380kW) and 625Nm of torque, while the M5 packs a 5.0-liter V10 with 500 hp (373 kW) and 520 Nm of torque. Sounds like a pretty even match up, so let's see what Clarkson has to say about it.

While the XF-R doesn't look like a typical super sedan, Clarkson says "don't be fooled by the plain Jane" exterior because the speed is "simply unbelievable." Despite being surprisingly comfortable, the car handles brilliantly thanks to an electric differential and a suspension that constantly adjusts itself. He sums up by saying the Jag is two cars in one, it's "amazingly comfortable and quiet when you're not in the mood for fun and games, and it's savagely fast when you are."

When the two cars are pitted up against each other on the track, Clarkson says the M5 has better brakes. While he won't suggest the Jag is better than the Beemer, he admits the XF-R "is as good as" the M5. Back in the studio, he contends that the Jag is nearly as good as the M5 on the track, but far better (than the M5) at almost everything else

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/259-car-pileup-on-german-autobahn-1833329.html

By Alan Hall

Tuesday July 21 2009

More than 259 vehicles were involved in a huge pile-up on one of Germany's main autobahns.

More than 65 people were injured in the crash, including 10 who were still fighting for their lives yesterday.

Emergency services used three helicopters and 40 ambulances to ferry the wounded to a number of hospitals.

The crash – a series of three pile-ups on a 20-mile stretch – came on Sunday evening as holidaymakers headed on to German roads as the school holidays began.

They happened on the A2 autobahn that links Berlin with the Dutch border near the city of Braunschweig and Hanover.

Police said heavy rain suddenly gave way to blinding sunshine, catching motorists unaware.

More than 350 firemen and other emergency service workers were called in to help clear the carriageways and get to the wounded.

© Telegraph.co.uk

15. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The question is.. will all this be an electrical nightmare to maintain in 10 years time.. or well before then you're supposed to have put out the front with Thursday's recycling?

16. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Ostraya
    Full Name:
    Red Power Ranga
    Ewwwww what a stodgey and boring drive they are though....

I used to fang one regularly when i worked at Sydney Airport back in 2005/6, i remember it had the most aweful steering i had ever encountered in a new car worth that amount of money, really light and overly assisted, It felt like nothing was connected to it...... plus it under steered when ever it even looked at a corner :p

Ide take a well built euro diesel thats a half capable drivers car if i ever had to use my own cash to buy a car thats frugal on fuel. Actually thinking about it i would even rather drive a LPG falcodore over the Prius! :p

Also i hated the fact i would constantly lose things in the Prius cause of the zillion storage compartments.....

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ill take one!! :D:D

18. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    So.....................let me get this right -

You rip up $1.00 per kilometre to save 10c per kilometre on fuel?

Wanna buy a bridge?

:D

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    show me a car with better resale...they all lose that money.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    you, my friend, just don't get it.

21. supersqualo

supersqualo Karting

May 19, 2009
    Western Australia
    will be interested to see how the new XJRR stacks up as it scomes in two Supercharged versions

22. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Ostraya
    Full Name:
    Red Power Ranga
    #322 Scaramouche, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    A BMW 118d uses 4.5 litres per 100km on a combined cycle.

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/insights/newsandevents/articles/845.html

With all its electronic gizmos, and toxic batteries the Prius beats it by a 'whopping' 1 litre per 100kms according to that trip computer pic you posted.

Creating more pollution during production than a standard car, plus not having the ability to run on old filtered chip oil that one can scavenge for free. What dont i get about the Prius? ;)

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

amazing...the more you explain, the more you still don't get it!

that's ok.

24. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    OT: but in early 80's I had custom rear sprocket made for the 450 Desmo and dropped gearing by 3 teeth (tad too much as it happens) and was so highly geared it could do the Sydney-Bathurst run (including fast fang along Bells Line Rd needing only mid range revs despite the pace) on a 2 gallon tank.. about $1.85 at the time by memory lol.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    well...they did rev their tits off with the standard gearing!