Even better than a Dino | FerrariChat

Even better than a Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by jselevan, Aug 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    While not a Ferrari story, I thought a few of you might be interested in this Web-based reprint of a story in Sports Cars International. The author asked me to distribute it. The last picture at the bottom of the article is my favorite.

Enjoy, or not. http://www.retromod-mag.com/french-revolution/

Jim S.

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I've long been a fan of the Renault Alpin A110. I last saw one in Italy well over thirty years ago, and it definitely turned my head. An Alpine collector in upstate NY had a few of them, but he either no longer owns them, or prefers not to show them. He has five or six of the next series Alpine, which is a fine car, but lacks the visceral appeal of the A110. For me, however, the Dino will always be number one! Fred

3. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    They were also made in Mexico. The few I saw were well cared for by their owners. The Mexican ones have 3 lug wheels and did not come with Weber sidedrafts. The engine/trans were shared with the other Mexican market Renaults which I believe did not include a 5 speed.

In the 1980s there was a R&T layout/article of the Alpine owned by the distributor of Gotti wheels in the USA. His had the big Cibie cornering lamps. Same shade of blue.

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    A110 is one of my favorites. I last saw one in Japan about 2 years ago. Beautiful car.

5. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    that's YOUR a110? bloody genius sir...that's always been on my list....

6. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Thanks for posting this Jim. What a fantastic car!

7. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Great car and write-up.

8. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very nice James. Always a pleasure to see when I am in Cali :)

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
  11. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Philippe - thanks for the police photos....great stuff.

JCR - yes, they were made in Mexico, as well as Bulgaria, Brazil, Spain, and of course, the home factory of Dieppe, France. Those manufactured in France are the most sought after.

The 3-bolt wheel reflects the year rather than the country of manufacture. All Alpines had 3-bolt wheels until 1973-4. The last year of production was 1976. Those produced between 1973-4 and 1976 had 4-bolt wheels. Total produced between 1966 and 1976 was approximately 6,000. Most have suffered the fate of fiberglass fracture, as when wrecked or thrown away. Only a handful - perhaps 10 - are in the U.S.

My example has been modified to 1750 cc, dual Webers, high compression, MSD ignition, Quaile LSD, etc. It produces around 170 horsepower to power a go-kart weighing 1450 pounds. Incredibly quick,,,,and exciting to drive.

As red is to Italy, so is "Alpine" blue to France, the official race color. Most Alpines were painted this color, although many other options were available.

The Webers, other than on the factory Group IV cars, were always a result of the enthusiasm of an privateer owner. The factory never produced a road car with Webers.

I first saw one of these while traveling in Europe in 1970...promised myself that someday I would own one. Took 35 years, but worth the wait. Bought it 5 years ago in Manchester, U.K. They were king of the Rallye circuit from 1967 through 1973, when....you guessed it, something referred to as Stratos appeared on the Rallye scene. Oh well, nothing lives forever.

Thanks all.

Jim S.

12. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Gorgeous car, Jim! and good article, thanks.
    Will

13. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
    #13 246gts, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Dave - thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great event. Yes, the bottom picture depicts an unusual presentation. The factory did produce several Le Mans racers, I believe designated Alpine 220s. Now talk about rare! I do not believe these pictures reveal a factory 220s.

For those following this thread, Dave (in Cheshire) was instrumental in my obtaining the car. He was kind enough to visit the previous owner, about a 90 minute drive north, and examine the car. He sent me a marvelous, detailed description that culminated in my visiting him in England and purchasing the car.

He has displayed his silver Dino on this chat. It is worthy of the 1st place prizes it has won.

Thanks, Dave.

Jim S.

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Was the Alpine at Cars n' Coffe Irvine last winter?
    We may have talked and didn't realize it.

16. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
  17. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Frequently.

Jim S.

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #18 synchro, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally found the pics, they were in my cell phone, not the Nikon.

Gorgeous, must be a blast to drive.
    Is it difficult to maintain?
    Mark, dinogts, has often remarked that he'd enjoy one, any advice on how to obtain one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Scott - yes, a great deal of fun to drive. No maintenance whatsoever. Unless you race it, which I do not.

They are difficult to find. More can be had in Europe or U.K. Only a handful in North America. I did see one recently on Bring a Trailer (BAT.com I think).

Great pictures. That's a remarkable cell phone camera.

Jim S.