Installation Overview: Scuderia Rampante connector kit for the 348 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Installation Overview: Scuderia Rampante connector kit for the 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 3forty8, Mar 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's called the "shoemaker's children have no shoes"...OK Dave let's both get off Fchat now time to go to work...

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    bump...
    Same question....

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #53 davehelms, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    I did an install on a 90 TR that had wiring issue (I have not had the oppertunity to do this to a 512 yet) with one ignition module and coil and refuse to believe the improvements as it was completely unexpected. We could hear a notable change with just the idle quality in the shop so we did the other bank...same. Ended up doing the whole engine and ECU's and cheated some potential new owner from a very nice Black TR....last I heard a week ago the car is off the market. Same was done with a 3.2 Mondial with the same results.

We were too busy at the time to invest the effort required to understand the improvements and decided we would smile and just say...OK. I have an owner that is going to do a test install on his TR to verify results can be felt seat of the pants. He is a regular on here and knowing his work background and view of all this....he will be able to give extremely accurate feedback exactly as Eric did who started this thread. I have all the data I need to fully understand the Motronic cars and their results...but on a CIS car?.... even I find that a long shot so we did a dear friends 3.2 Mondial.....

End result is I am NOT going to offer a CIS fueled kit until I hear from someone else that this is real as I find the results hard to believe...I felt it and we did nothing else to a car that was running fairly well before the install. I will forward this link to the owner that will be doing the test on the TR so he can provide feedback when his results are in. This individual is no push over and his day job assures me there will be no placable effect in his answers. It is for that reason alone that working with Eric (the original poster in this thread) was so valuable to me early on, I am busy enough that I have no need to waste my time on doing things that have no positive results. I touched base with Eric this week and it seems at the one year plus mark his results still show this to be effective, maybe he will chime in and give his view.

Even if the tests on the CIS fueled models prove's to go no where positive I am just fine with that as I never believed it would in the first place. The positive results on the other models has led to a wonderful relationship with Bosch that will now be heading in multiple different directions chasing other "ghosts" we are now seeing regularly on all models as well as issues most do not even know exist yet. With all of our hose R&D now done I am able to get back to the devolvement in these areas to move this forward again. This next step will be both incredibly frustrating and extremely interesting and I am beyond empress ed with how Bosch is willing to lend a hand with all of this. The more I learn and understand this, the more insistent I am on using only their products when moving forward with all of this. There are very sound reasons that they are know world wide as a leader in the engine management industry...now with access to hard data and facts this has been proven to me beyond any doubt and I am in the process of converting many of our kit components to Bosch only. This while trying to do my day job. Until stated otherwise all of our products will be only available in FerrariAds.com...my ads timed out and I need to repost them but wanted to update them before that. With little free time available I will just renew the old ads and leave it at that for the time being.

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    "Yehbut".....(my kids taught me that one and tell me its one word). The boss said she is tied of looking at it taking up space in the garage and she wants HER car fixed...that changes everything. The 30'355'8 is on the operating table, the storm clouds are moving in and Kris printed out a new 36 hour clock face stating that sleep stuff is over rated, Frankenstein 'B' is soon to be assembled and I will own (yehright, also one word) a test mule.

I will follow your lead, I have photo's to forward to you.

Dave

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dave,

Massive apologies on not making this question 100% clear.

To re-cap,
    hotrodjag commented on the 550 kit,
    you responded with
    "... I think I have them all now and just need to put together counts and wire seal colors to call it complete."
    and I wondered if the kit was completed

Let's try it again.
    Dave, is the 550 kit complete and ready for customers to buy?

Thanks for all your hard work and expertise in developing these. There is nothing more positive than a solid electrical system! (pun intended)

6. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Dave has been a huge asset in helping me get the most out of my car and keeping it in great running order. I can't say enough good things about him - he does what he does out of a genuine passion for the cars. I don't know the details on Dave being "muffled" on Fchat, but if that is the case it is to our detriment.

This is the kind of guy Dave is: He saw a picture I posted in another thread quite some time ago and noticed a hose that looked bad. Although we had never spoken before, he PM'ed me for my address and a couple of days later a replacement hose shows up in the mail from him, no charge.

I installed the kit right before a Pauper's Run to Vegas and put 1,000 trouble free miles on the car. Another Pauper's Run just a couple of weekends ago and another 6,000 miles since the kit was first installed. NO CEL's. No more bank cutting out. No more hot start problems. No more electrical/ECU drama. Dave, the car is almost boring now - I don't have anything to work on/troubleshoot/fix! :)

7. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    A couple months ago, I had my 348 out for a drive, and the car developed a stall problem when stopping. I haven't had as much time to work on the car since then as I'd like (bought a different house... getting garage ready :)) However, over the past couple weeks I've tried the usual things; adjust idle air screws, remove and clean throttle bodies, MAFs, etc., and bought a new idle air motor that I tried on both sides. All without really solving the problem.

During this process, I spontaneously started getting a 5/8 CEL 1414 injector code (#7 injector). I tried the following: checked #7 injector... checked OK at 16.5ohms. Swapped it with #6 (also OK), and problem still on #7. Diagram shows 5/8 injector grounds, fuse, etc. are common, and ground resistance on #6 & #7 were identical. I then checked the #7 hot lead from injector to ECU plug and it looked great at <1 ohm. So wiring checks fine. Still a #7 injector code. Thought it might be ECU, so I swapped those and no change (a relief that ECU seems OK). So I've checked everything I can think of and still get a #7 injector code.

I'm going to retrofit Dave Helms' gold connector kit. Talked to him today, and he was very helpful, and we even got to talking about his father working on the early space program, my father doing some machining on Mercury capsule parts at Hughes Aircraft in Tucson, and both of us using slip sticks (slide rules) in Engineering school in the early 70's before calculators became available.

Dave's a really nice, helpful, and obviously dedicated guy, and I'm looking forward to installing his kit. I will report results of the kit in resolving my problems. Seems like excellent PM to help prevent future electrical gremlins, if for no other reason.

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Surely no apologies needed, I just did not understand the question. At 4AM I have trouble hitting my lips with the coffee, not your fault, its mine. The short answer is no..., maybe.

I had a 550 in for service and removed the intake to do the coolant hoses. At that time I photo'd each connector's (looks like it blew the valley hose twice and power washed the connectors with antifreeze over the years) as the owner declined to do the Gold Kit install and I was too rushed to identify everything needed. The 550's (and late 355's) require an individual wire seal's and a boot on the connectors (we have found the wire seals to be redundant when a good boot is used). Each wire seal is a different color based on the insulation diameter of each wire and the OD depending on which connector it is used in. I have all the seals in all of the colors in all of the sizes BUT have not cataloged which one goes in what position for which connector. I now have all of the terminals for the round connectors on the injector gang plug and have tools being made. I started by purchasing 6 tools to send out as free loaners with the kits because they cost so blasted much (approaching $200 ea), I am now down to two. Seems the term 'loaner' did not compute = a set back for everyone until I figured out how to make them inexpensively, that's done. Albeit slow to make by hand, I have them going together this way until we can figure out how to produce in qty's. I would post a photo to better explain but I do not know how to photoshop my name off the hose that shows in the photo.

I got a call from the 550 owner yesterday and now he wants the intake re-removed and the kit installed as soon as I have the in-tank rubber fuel components completed (hopefully in the next two months) so it will all get done at once. FBB expressed interest in helping with this over the winter....its who ever has theirs apart first and feels like helping define what a kit is. With over 5 dozen part numbers stocked, I am fairly confident I have all of the components at hand and it is a matter of noting what goes where in what qty's. It was Eric who did all of the foot work and defined the 348 kit. It requires patience and time to do this and he has my sincere thanks for his efforts. Eric, enjoy the time off...you will have rubber fuel system parts to get dirty on in short order.

Again, this will not fix a flat tire or revive a failed component BUT most often that is not where the failure point is in our experience.

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Let the record speak, Dave is da man. A true asset.

-F

10. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    If anyone who has done the gold connector kit on a 348 has a list of what connectors need to be done I would appreciate a copy. I don't want to miss any connections that should be done. I was hoping that someones notes during a previous install could be copied. I am willing to pay for the copies and shipping. I just bought the Supremo kit and haven't started yet. As soon as this heat goes away I plan on starting the work.
    Mike Sassaman
    Reading, PA

11. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No instructions / list in the kit? Surely there is?

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    With the endless amount of time, effort and money that went into making that blasted instruction book..... I darn sure hope it was included!!!! The book we made was the end result of many years of testing, feedback and advise from those that preceeded you on this project.

For QC reasons we photo every kit assembled so we can review and make positive everything was included that should be. I will review the photo's when I get to the shop and if you were shorted one Mike, it will be expedite shipped to you this AM.

13. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    #63 mdsassaman, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    I'll look again maybe I overlooked something. I read through the book on how to install the boots and pins etc. I'll look again.
    Mike

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Verified via photo. Read the book included in the black folder that is intended to be kept in the drivers hand book pouch once the install is completed.... it's all there.

15. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Quality is NEVER an accident! ;)

16. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    UNREAL!

Dave, we have never met, and I don't own any of your products ...YET:) But you are my hero!!! I am one of those who really appreciates excellence wherever its found, it doesn't matter if its a waitress who anticipates my needs or, like you, a professional who does things right because of pride and integrity rather than just profit (although I've found that doing things right ALWAYS leads to more $$)

Great to read about these customer experiences, and I will be ordering my gold kit and hoses this spring when my motor comes out for belts!

17. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Dave has helped me a few times over the years, he is a class act that is for sure! He doesn't post on here much anymore so If you want to get a hold of him your best bet is to call him.

18. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley