Have Shields on Your Fenders? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Have Shields on Your Fenders?

Discussion in '308/328' started by venusone, Nov 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    #76 fastfred, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    they where on my 328 GTS when i bought it and i think on black it looks good and brings out the look of the ones on the wheel centers also.... i had the same look on my TR also........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #77 SoCal308GTSiQV, Nov 26, 2009
    Yeah, but that sure is a NICE 83' next to you in the background!

I don't have badges, but I think they look nice. Just not sure I want them.

Hey Mike, where did you get your magnetic badges? Next time we are together, I'd like to put them on my car to take a look!

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup, your 83 sure is a beauty! I think got mine from T-Rutlands tent over at the Concorso Italiano last Aug. You can order it from them, I think they're cool cause you can put them on and off anytime and anywhere.

4. ddiesen

ddiesen Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    Full Name:
    David Diesen
    #79 ddiesen, Nov 26, 2009
    LOL already done (bodyshop) Been too busy driving and too lazy to switch them back.
    WTH not like I havent molested the car already :) BTW Badges off ... for now

miketuason likes this.
  5. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    I have one small shield sticker on the rear window of my Fiat, to show my support to SF.
    No shields however on the 328, I'm a purist and shields on a Ferrari will not be understood as supporting SF.

6. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Great looking car!!!! I may have to get one of those...

7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #82 Simon, Nov 26, 2009
    Dino246gt likes this.
  8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #83 Sledge4.2, Nov 26, 2009
    joke man. that sticker is in my music studio ;)

no shields here, but i like them on the black cars.

9. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Joe, I know you slightly recanted on this after Tilman's comment... just to add my 2 cents worth.... I attended an FCA lunch at Monterey years ago when the 355 came out and the speaker from Ferrari (whose name I forget, definitely Italian) introduced the badges as an option for the 355 and that if you called the factory they would provide them -at a cost- to any owner of a car whose model was factory raced. He apologized that some models did not fall into this offer as they were never raced by the factory. There was some wincing from the audience as many questioned if their car qualified and were told.. "uh, no!"

You would think, wouldn't you... I think that any badging on the car is there for the owner. Unless you put 10inch letters down the side of the car spelling out F-E-R-R-A-R-I, there would still be the uninformed who will walk up and ask "is that a Ferrari?" even with the external badges. On the other hand, you get the know-it-alls who stand by your car and tell their friends its just a kit car because it doesn't have a V12.

I'll just go back to the Italian gent from Ferrari at the FCA lunch. If I understood him right it was a badge to honor those cars whose siblings were taken off the assembly line and made into factory race cars. Yes, I ran mine at track days... but those days are behind me. Once I'm through with the restoration, I'll probably be too chicken to track the car anymore... but thats just this one, we have other race cars. Like you, I respect the guys who flog their cars on the track then drive them home!

Rick

10. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #85 chas-3, Dec 22, 2009
    Not even on Azzuro? I love the contrast between the blue and the yellow.

miketuason likes this.
  11. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    How about those that say it cannot be a Ferrari because Ferrari never built a car with a back seat--lol?
    Same ones that say never seen a mid engined 4 seater either.

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Correct IMHO....I prefer the car to be identifiable only to those who know enough to recognise it.

13. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I have the enamel badges on my silver 308 GTB because I like the look. (I know the arguments against them, and understand those who are opposed. But it's MY car.)

I would love to get them "Frenched in," though. How much did Mr. Moore charge to do that?

14. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    My sentiments exactly. When someone else wants to buy my cars for me, they can tell me how to keep them.

I don't really remember how much Brian charged to do it. Call him: 916-635-3559

Rick

15. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Nothing beats the factory fitted resessed shields which I now have on my recently aquired 360 however for my old 348ts I managed to find some really good quality 'thin' metal shields on ebay couple of years back from the UK with a thin Industrial grade 3M adhesive backing. Not to be confused with the thicker poor quality shields available out of India. They looked fantastic. The only person I know who has them now is Phil Hughes at Ferrari Fixer.

Sent from my SM-N915G using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think it boils down to real or phony. Don't matter how good you make them look only matters if they are genuine. I know they look cool but all Ferraris look cool even without them, they were supposed to be for the Scuderia let's not water them down.

Rosey likes this.
  17. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Yes indeed in the old days it was only for the racing versions and one of the ways they were diffetentiated from other cars. Nowadays however they are a popular option on all Ferraris. I do note there is a US crowd on ebay at the moment offering the better quality thin shields however they are top dollar

Sent from my SM-N915G using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I like what one of the earlier posters on this thread said that he doesn't need shields to reconfirm the brand. he knows what he's driving.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Really? I could have sworn it says “Ferrari” on the back lid oh his car. :D

20. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Good to see this thread back up again...

Changed my GT4 a bit from when I first posted on this thread - now a historic rally car rather than circuit racer, but still wearing the NART fender decals that I put on for Le Mans Classic in 2016, as an homage to the original GT4 race entry back in the day. Quite liked them, so they're still in place for this year's trip to LMC.

21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct, so any more personally added badging is completley unnecessary... IMHO.

22. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Ahhh come on lighten up. Remember it was the factory that started adding them back in the day not us humble egocentric owners.
    They look good. At least the metal shields, the resin stick on’s are a bit iffy IMHO

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

i-velocita and ///Mike like this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    To be honest I'm not even a fan of current optional shields on non limited or race Ferrari's- even if fitted from the factory.
    Call me an old traditionalist.

vaccarella likes this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    At least they're less ostentatious than those Scuderia racing stripes.

///Mike likes this.
  25. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    My opinion is that I really cannot stand the stickers or badges on ANYTHING that didn't come from the factory with them. 288 GTO, yes. F40, yes. F50, yes. 308 GTS, NO. 328, NO. TR, NO. Nothing looks worse than a crooked or faded decal on a Ferrari.

Rosey likes this.