3500GT Barnfind | Page 11 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I would like to see some photos of an original early 3500 fuel pump cover plate, if any of you have one on your car. Mine went missing.
    I have now reinstalled my rebuilt original Mono Flux fuel pumps and they work very well.
    Ciao,
    FGM

2. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #252 mfletch, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Larry, thanks for the information. I saw that the parts diagram showed a four blade fan. At least this one is a Maserati part.

Frank, here are a couple pictures of mine. I am a couple weeks away from installing it back on the car. If you like, I could take it to Brian Moore (Brian Moore Restorations) and have him use it as a template to fabricate another. He does beautiful work, but he is expensive. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Take care, Mark.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    #253 carnutz, Feb 10, 2011
    Mark, I've attached photos of an original 3500GT fan blade and a 3500GTI one as well. Notice that there are no extra holes in the fans.
    Larry

4. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Larry, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Even the 6 blade fan is significantly different from mine. The two dimples near the center of mine perfectly match the two holes on the pedestal, but the other holes don't seem to have a purpose.

5. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Frank,
    I haven't forgot you. I still need to photo my shroud on the car, then remove it for further shots for you. Mine seems a little different than the one pictured lately; but that's going by memory. Mine was/is still retained by the correct slotted screws.

'till then, RF.

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #256 Portenos, Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks much RF, Mark is sending his to me to see if it fits. I will let you all know the results.
    I changed my scavenger pump with a new one and replaced the hose at the same time.
    Only to find out that the front seal was the culprid boy do i feel stupid. Now i need to go back in and do it all over again. Luckily the front seal can be replaced by removing the crank pulley and removing the cir clip and R & R the seal.
    The first time around everything came apart with no drama. 101.708 is showing no resistance.
    Oh I found some hot rod guys down here in Palm Desert who do a really good job. I can highly recommend them. The name of the shop is "The Shop" they are located off cook ave.
    Ciao,
    FGM

7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Ouch,
    My scavenge pump was already by-passed (along with the thermostat) when I acquired my car. I found some correct looking hoses for re-introduction of the pump & Thermostat, but decided against it, as the car seems to run great w/o them, and the job looked like it was just going to take too much time away from my driving the car. Especially pulling the front crank pulley.
    What condition is your damper rubber in? Mine is dry & cracked, and scares me! When I replaced my timing chain, it had 5 master links in it!!!!!!!!!!
    RF.

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It is a very straight forward job, so don't stress about it. We unbolted the fan adapter to get extra clearance and with two guys we gently pulled the radiator up and out the top along with the oil cooler radiator. My crank pully came off very easy.
    Just undue the 32mm nut, install a puller and with one turn it came out as sweet as can be.
    That would be a good time to change the front oil seal. :) My damper is in very good condition. After I clean up all the oil residue everything should look tidy.
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    OK. I've had my radiator in & out various times w/o much grief. I was just afraid of the dampner. Then I was afraid of the guts when I removed the scavenge pump. For now, the car runs great, and the oil leak at these points is manageable. I'm not really looking for work, but most definately don't want to promote future failures.
    It is very difficult to park & work on a running beast when we enjoy year-round driving weather.
    I think the answer is to find another car, so I can always have one running, while I tinker with the other!

Many Thanks, RF.

10. P400

P400 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    east coast
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hi RF, Do you have the model number of the Marelli distributor? The stamped number/letter code on the tag? A picture of the installed sensor plate with rotor?
    any help here would be great, thank you.
    Craig

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #261 mfletch, May 13, 2011
    I am finally reassembling the car. I added several months onto this project by deciding to clean the entire underside, suspension, and engine compartment. Everything is now treated with POR15 and painted satin black. The engine is pretty spotless. I am currently trying to locate the correct water hoses. Does anybody have a source for the correct braided rubber hoses? (MIE is currently checking for me)

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now she does look great!!!

Well done.
    Pete

13. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Mark,
    She looks now really good! Congratulations! When will you be able to do the first little drive?
    Wilfried

14. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Pete and Wilfried. I hope to have it on the road within the month.

15. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Congrats! Hopefully a video for us all?

16. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Fletch, what did you coat your headers with? They look great!

17. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Peter, thanks. I had the headers powdercoated in satin black. I will try to borrow my dad's video camera and post a video of the maiden voyage.
    Did you see the new Alfa sports car that is coming to the US in 2013? I just saw it in Automobile magazine. It looks a little like the Lotus Elise (but better). It is aluminum and carbon fiber, it will weigh about 1800 lbs, with 250 hp. I can't wait to see Alfa back in the US.

18. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Powdercoated, eh? If they stand up to the heat, I'm taking my rusty Giulia headers off for powdercoating too!

I see from your plates that you're in California. If you're in So Cal, let us know if you drive the 3500 to one of the local events- I at least would love to see your hard work in person.

Yes, I've seen photos of the 4C- looks great. I'd probably be more interested personally in the Giulietta or the forthcoming Giulia. I'll have to eat a lot of crow personally as and when Alfa returns- but it'll be worth it to have a new Alfa in my garage :)

Keep up the good work- and take care of your back!

-Peter

19. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #269 mfletch, May 18, 2011
    Today was not a good day underneath the Maserati. While removing the starter to install the heat shield, I broke the solenoid end cap. Does anybody have a bad solenoid that they would be willing to sell? There is a used solenoid on Ebay off a Ferrari 250 for around $650. I would love to find something less expensive. Is there a less expensive car (like a Fiat) that the same starter solenoid was used on ?

20. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Correct color should be "cast iron gray" for your exh. manifolds.

They do look nice in black.

~Ciao

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You should check that it's not the same as an Alfa Romeo, FIAT or Lancia starter solenoid ... might save yourself a lot of money.

Pete

22. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi, If it is Bosch, go to any good auto electrical repair place, they should be able to fix it.
    Regards Ian

23. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    It is a Marelli starter. I am hoping it is the same one used on another car...Alfa perhaps? Any idea how to find out? Thanks guys

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  25. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    ...and I saw it!

Alfa's of the 1950's and 1960's typically used Bosch or Lucas starters- Marelli was uncommon.

I'd recommend calling this guy (below).

http://socalaltandstart.com/

No connection, etc., however he has a large stock of older European starters and generators. I brought in my 1960's Bosch generator and he had a rebuilt one on his shelf ready to exchange with me there and then!