Ferrari 458 Spider FIRST PICS | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Spider FIRST PICS

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 1986245, Aug 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #76 mhh, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    Evo says the roof is made of glass that can be made clear or opaque at the flick of a switch. I'm guessing this will give the car a targa look - black roof, not body color.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That sounds like either "nothing but trouble" or "real expensive" or both.

3. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    Thanks for the link, the 458 Spider is absolutely fantastico!! As all of you have said, I can't wait to see it in the flesh. This is going to be great. Grazie.

Mark

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If the experience with the 575SA is anything to go by, certainly.

It also means that the two-tone option doesn't really make sense, unless you would choose black as your top colour.

Onno

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #80 jm2, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The description sounds incorrect.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agreed. Our dealer described something completely different.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I have to think with their publication lead times,they wrote this several weeks ago.Based upon the latest info,they appear to be misinformed.

10. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    These are definitely real, they look like all the Ferrari studio photos that they release. My guess is that they changed the intakes so that they are part of the 2 scoops on the back of the car on top of the engine cover. They seem a lot bigger than on the coupe so they probably have extra ducting inside them for the engine intake and the radiators they cool on the coupe.

11. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    Clearly those pictures dont show the dynamics of how it goes back.I was told by the dealer whos has seen the car in person and had to cover their cell phones with tape,He stated the rear engine cover pops up and the targa like top rolls under it and closes shut. While the spider is top is closed the engine glass is open showing the engine.When the top is down the engine cannot be viewed and there is a divider glass.

12. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I am probably the only one that thinks so, but I hate the stupid engine window of the 360/430 spiders. And looking at the back deck of the car in these pictures, it is too complex to have one anyway. On the coupes the engine is presented with unmatched drama, and you can see if from in the CAR, not the parking lot. The spider window is no different than the crap GM did with the ZR1 (granted, the motor looks better, but it's the same stupid ego thing).

Now a mesh screen from engine cooling that is transparent and hints at what is underneath... that's another story.

I love the lines of this one, should be epic.

13. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    True, but I heard my dealer discussing the specifics of the hard top back in February.

14. Testarossa BR

Testarossa BR Karting

Sep 7, 2004
    Brazil
    #89 Testarossa BR, Aug 21, 2011
    When I saw these "official" pictures of the 458 Spider the first thing that came into my mind was "This is Fake", I'm not a pro on Photoshop or anything like this but just a quick look on this top picture you can spot some flaws.

1st: The most brutal sign of a photohop, look at the alignment of the passanger's seat compared to the driver's one.

2nd: Blury area on the top of the driver's seat

3rd: Blury "hood", no reflections

Make your own oppinion but I think when Ferrari release the official 458 Spider everyone will be surprised
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    I was told at Monterey Concorso the real photos will be released in a week and those ain't
    it

16. Biscuit

Biscuit Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Italy
    Full Name:
    E. R.
    #91 Biscuit, Aug 21, 2011
    Following Testarossa BR words, these 'pictures' cannot be real IMHO. Come on guys, the roll cage new design looks amazingly clean but the left one is on the corner rather than on the back side of the head! Is this a stereo box? Did anybody noticed it?

I haven't read the whole thread but I know you noticed no real engine air intake is shown. This looks strange and I know somebody must have forgotten to consider a couple of them. We can only hope it wasn't Ferrari employees, but some PS guru.

Like most of us, I'm not a PS expert but to create a 458 Spider like shown I could consider this 430 angle as a start. This is not the real deal. Leave your thoughts...

Cheers!

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This thread has become even more interesting.

If it's a fake, whatever credit this website got for revealing them will be wiped out 10 fold when the real pics show up.

18. mclarenferrari

mclarenferrari Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    I hope it's not a fake, because dear God, that's such a sexy design. It looks like the spiritual successor of the 308 GTS, even though this isn't a targa top.

And I'm glad they removed the engine window, it looked tacky as hell.

19. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    It seems that everyone in this thread has a great point, lol

20. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    hrm with the way the lighting is presented should there be a gap in the shadow where the roof is down?

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The one thing that makes me suspicious is what's been puzzling me since I first saw it. It's missing the fold between where the rear comes up and wraps to the rear deck. I'm not sure why they would do that.

At first, I thought they were real. Now, I'm 50/50!

22. koukir32

koukir32 Karting

Dec 23, 2010
    Great looking Spyder. Reminds me of 246 Dino Spyder.... and the tricked out hardtop powertop is definately worth waiting for...

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #98 ingegnere, Aug 21, 2011
    The pictures are consistent with the details of the patent.

The tracks for the sliding rear window are clearly visible, and the A-pillars are sans the drip rail detail - but I have to say the cut lines for the engine cover / flying butresses are not clear or consistent.

Regarding a glass roof, the patent states that the forward half of the rigid roof "can" have a rigid frame with a glass center.

Here's what the car with closed roof could look like:

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    When the 458 first appeared I was convinced that the fold was a seam for a retractable roof - keeping the same rear fenders.

Doing some sketches I realized that keeping that seam would result in a very strange engine cover design. What these pics are showing seem to make sense.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #100 TheMayor, Aug 21, 2011
    Seeing the roof like that reminds me of this, at least in side profile.