Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Vintage section Fake/Replica/Recreation/Rebody discussion

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Julio Batista, Feb 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Well, no, but it is a disgrace that Ferrari knowingly presents replica's as genuine cars.

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I agree. The body looks horrible, but so does the Drogo-body on 330GT s/n 7979GT. Still I have no problem in awknowledging it as a genuine Ferrari.

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    This, is a very elegant post. Chapeau...

It reminds me of someone, that on the first day we met as a group said:

"Attack the idea, not the man, and if you do, you might not like the result".

That has always lingered in my head as very good advice.

Regards, Alberto

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Fantastic perspective well said.

5. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Agree horrible .

6. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    True, the "world would go unchanged" if all the "250 GTE's suddenly cease to exist", but I would be really bummed! And, although, heated at times, I think this whole thread/discussion is a very relevant and interesting.

PS. Even more bummed if all the 330 America's "cease to exist"!

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It was common practice for the Factory to destroy a lot of cars, mostly precious ones.
    So where was the Sierra Club at the moment?

Regards, Alberto

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I did, early on. I got a reasoned response from the owner of the site, and a heated disagreement with my position from the sponsor.

I don't think the sponsors threads for any NON-VINTAGE vehicle belong here. Even if it lands in HIS subforum, it posts to the top of the main age anytime he puts a new thread in. As I recall, he had started a thread about a Corvette he was working on, and it kept popping to the top of the forum. So when I hit the main Ferrari Page, under vintage was, "1963 Corvette restoration" or some such nonsense.

This is a FERRARI site. The vintage forum is a FERRARI vintage forum. Not a replica forum, not a recreation forum, and certainly not a corvette forum. Non of those topics belong here. I don't happen to subscribe to Rob's theory that a sponsor should be allowed to post anything he wants within the sub forum that he sponsors. IF you want to sponsor a sub forum, instead, be aware of its content prior to sponsoring it, and be prepared to stay within the guidelines of that sub forum after you sponsor it.

If I do Corvette repairs as a part of my business, then post that in the American Muscle sub forum (if there is one) and if not, then leave it the hell off this site.

Just my $.02, feel free to lambaste me. But, I agree with Marcel and Julio, which puts me in good company indeed.

D

9. Redline Restorations

BANNED

Oct 22, 2011
    Black Rock CT
    So you don't like the fact that a restoration on a different car other than a Ferrari shows up as the title on the main page under vintage? I think that is a bit unreasonable.
    As I recall, we did disagree, but it was not heated. Answer me this, should Lamborghini of Houston should not post anything other than Lamborghini's for sale in the section they sponsor? We do deal with Ferraris alot both restoring, selling and locating. But we also deal with many other classics that from previous posts, others appreciate and like seeing.

Please don't misconstrue this as a heated response, we are peaceful professionals.

10. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Damn, you guys can be brutal towards each other!

11. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    What does Lamborghini of Houston have to do with anything? What a weird thing to bring up as a model. Anyway it's sort of an issue about sensitivity to this particular section which is fairly different then the rest of fchat. Of course as you can also see it is a little club which looks the other way at those making fake Ferraris if they have other accepted attributes like an accepted deep Ferrari knowledge or the ability to find rare parts and cars.

12. Redline Restorations

BANNED

Oct 22, 2011
    Black Rock CT
    Because they sponsor the Lamborghini section but post other types of vehicles for sale also within the Lamborghini section. I don't have a problem with it at all and feel they are within their rights to do so. I made mention of it because a previous poster commented how we shouldn't be posting any other vehiclesin than Ferraris in our subforum.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sponsors are under the exact same rules as anyone for thread placement. if you don't want any action to be taken or at least a delay, then don't report it. our post report system is in place to make everything more efficient by emailing all mods of that forum whether they are on FerrariChat at that time or not.

please send me a link to the "inappropriate replica" thread you are talking about. was it posted in the top level Vintage forum (not the Sponsor subforum) and didn't have any indication the car was a replica?

we have always allowed recreations to be discussed as what they were originally without any misrepresentation. if it was originally a 250 GTE, then the thread title and the first line of the post better talk about it being a 250 GTE before any discussion on the modifications.

Our rules have been very consistent over the years and I spelled it out already in this very thread...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141199006&postcount=38

• the main Vintage forum is for authentic Vintage Ferraris only, recreations are first identified for what they originally were (i.e. 250 GTE/330 2+2).
    • any fake or replica Ferrari thread posted in Vintage forum will be moved to General Automotive under Off Topic.
    • I will not create a fake or replica subforum on FerrariChat, because I don't think it deserves any credit or place on FerrariChat, the best existing subforum is General Automotive under Off Topic.
    • Redline Retorations is the named sponsor the Vintage section and as such they are allowed a subforum which they can post whatever they want if contained in their subforum only, not the main Vintage forum. This is just like other sponsors like Bradan in New York Tri-State and Lamborghini of Houston in Lamborghini. ***when I am technically able to keep the new subforum thread titles from appearing on the main page I will.

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Got popcorn and a bud?

Marcel Massini

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have no problem with that, but wonder why is it so that these "most knowledgeable of all" guys doing the new bodies cannot make one decent replica? Some are better than others, but looking at maybe 100 Ferrari fakes I have proper pictures of, I must say almost all of them are just crap. The original cars died for nothing.

What you may have seen in world of RR cannot be reflected to world of Ferrari. With Ferrari it is a straight line; find a donor car, find a fool to pay for "a 100% authentic replica", scrap the car, build a body, take the money and cry all the way to the bank.

And what comes to the terminology, I prefer calling them fakes (as opposed to real ones). All the talk about replicas and re-creations are just attempts to get around the word "fake" (=not real).

Best wishes, Kare

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    So why is it there is a separate section called "FerrariChat.com Owner's Forum" because you said the members wanted it yet the same members want a replica section but they can't have it? It's not like this issue is going to go away, if anything it's just going to get worse.

17. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What about the 'restorations' that are built up from little more than a chassis plate, and a few tubes?

These cars go on to be titled as originals. Yet less than a few percent of the original is in the 'restored' car.

And classiche will of course happily do the work. Does that make them more original?

The lines are grey. Where do you draw them OP?

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You probably mean "built from the original tach needle".

Disagree. The majority of the work is outsourced. Bodywork, engines, paint work. To all the small shops in and around Maranello.

Marcel Massini

19. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Bit like race cars ie most Formula 5000 cars have been re-skinned .

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "majority"? Some times you're too kind. I would have said "vast majority"...

:)

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#172 dm_n_stuff, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    We respectfully disagreed. :D

First off, yes, I believe Lamborghini of Houston should only post Lamborghini content within that sub forum. If they were sponsoring the TEXAS forum, then I would think almost any content would be appropriate.

You have a very defensive edge to your tone at times (as I'm sure I do) even in some of the posts you've made here, of course tone is HARD to read over the internet.

I appreciate that you work on many different brands, and that Ferraris are among them. I'm sure you're a great guy, very personable, otherwise you would never have survived in a business that caters to fussy car owners and restorers.

But, none of that changes my opinion that this is a Ferrari sub forum, not a Corvette sub forum.

I strongly believe that any non-ferrari car you are selling, or working on and wish to create a thread about, should be placed in the appropriate sub forum, not here in Vintage Ferrari.

It's just my opinion, nothing more or less, but apparently I'm not alone in that opinion.

Dave

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Let's see if you guys can figure this one out.

There's a pure replica with an original body and there's a real car that, that body came from wearing a replica body.

I'll give you a hint.

The pure replica has appeared at the FOS.

The real car has not.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    from my perspective we already have a forum for it, called General Automotive under Off Topic! I don't want the name of Ferrari and Replica or Fake together, sorry some of the top Ferrari Historians in the World don't mind, but I do. It has always been like this too.

this isn't a problem of FerrariChat not doing something or not having a policy about replicas and fakes, it is a problem of users like Julio being ignorant to it. now everyone should know, right?

here is a recent poll where we talked about it.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350478

here are some of my posts on replicas from almost 7 years ago!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135112670&postcount=32

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135123595&postcount=122

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Kare

I realize that you think I'm simply "A Punk from NY" and that you're very expert at spotting fakes so I'm sure you'll easily be able answer this one and explain how you quickly saw which body, the original one or the replica, one was real.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141202995&postcount=173