Error 4121 and crazy stuff | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Error 4121 and crazy stuff

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Sep 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #51 soucorp, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Randall,

It appears that the RELAY W/DIODE (italamec 454) may have an empty fuse there as designed? I will verify that on my 3.2 which has ABS tonight and let you know.

As you can see from the diagram, that FUSE slot on the 3.2 and t are empty. http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=1924
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks much Mike, I appreciate the info. Is the fuse also missing on your car?

Randall

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll check mine when I get home and let you know later today.
    -Mike

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #54 soucorp, Apr 30, 2012
  5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I learned this morning that my assumption that it was the 1-4 cyclinder bank not firing, it is in fact the 5-8 not firing. I have switched sides for everything in the trunk and nothing fires it up. I have spark and I have checked all wiring, igniters, relays, etc. I guess that I now have to address the fuel pump directly to see if it is powering up. The fuel pump relays and the fuses for the pump and the injectors have been switched with no result. I have replaced a couple of relays after having checked them on the 1-4 side.

Any suggestions or pointers on how to check the fuel pump on the 5-8 side. Should i tap on it like on my BMW? or just check wiring and voltage? How about access? Any pointers outside of the WSM? Is the replacement difficult?

Thanks for your help.

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    As a last resort today before getting into gynecology mode, I checked the TPS's by measuring the resistance across some of the terminals. The resistance did change on two of the terminals as the potentiometer changed position so I am assuming that they are ok since they were both giving the same data. Now, I have my speculum in hand and will try to find the culprit.

I will first try to find the power to the fuel pump for the 5-8 bank but only after checking the grounds.

Any suggestions/comments will be more than welcome.

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    After some useful consultation from the original stooge, Ernie, I switched the motronics ECU and what do you know, the problem switched sides! So now will exchange the EPROMS with updated software thanks to wonderful people here on fchat. This place is unique. To be continued.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #58 porphy, Jun 29, 2012
    Here is a photo of one of my EPROMS. Number on the EPROM is different that that of the EPROM shown in Ernie's stooge replacement thread for his 348. Mine are 410 and his are 497. Any real differences?

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #59 ernie, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    Yup.

You have the old programing in your car. The 410's have a lower redline. If you go reread my ecu/chip thread you'll see that one of my ecu's did in fact have the 410 mapping in it (post #25 in my thread). But now both have the 497 mapping, which has the rev limiter at 7750/rpm. Same mapping as the Spider and Series Speciale.

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Changed EPROMS thanks much to 3forty8 and the guidance from Ernie and Eric and their threads. Eliminated battery shutoff switch. No change. The four cylinders that are running sound smoother. I do now have a check engine light for 5-8 bank that was not there before. But no firing on the 5-8; change ECU's and the problem switches sides. Am I in for new ECU or its repair? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Somebody on here has to have a spare 348/Mondial T 2.7 ECU unit they can lend Randy so he can validate if his ECU is fried or not. Randy, you may also want to post this up in the 348 section.

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Done.

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you pull the codes on 5/8?

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Tomorrow morning.

R

15. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #65 porphy, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    The only codes was 4121 which is an error code overheated catalyst. Of course the catalyzer that side is cold because nothing is firing and I have unplugged the thermocouple and no change. I really think the ECU needs psychiatric help. Guess we have a continuous signal indicating an overheated catalytic converter and regardless of taking the thermocouple away it still blocks the 5-8 bank? However I am getting the same error from the 1-4 bank. I guess that the fact that 5-8 is not firing that the ECU's are not relearning after replacement of the EPROMS? Anyway everything is only warm and there can be no overheated catalyzers.

16. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    There are a few earths on the top of the r/h valve cover, toward the front of the engine. Might be worth giving those a clean up too, as they can be troublesome..

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have just redone all of the major grounds and bypassed my battery cutoff switch. I have NOT however looked at those grounds you mention. Thanks.

18. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I switched the ECU's again and it does NOT switch sides so I assume the ECU's are fine. I am getting spark on the dead side so I guess I need to return to my fuel pump. I am using an inductive coil pick-up timing light to determine that I am getting spark. Is there a problem with this? Can I be fooled into thinking I have spark when I don't using this method? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

19. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    For what it's worth, I had a problem where the fuel pump was shorting on the bottom panel and blowing a fuse next to the ECU. Try to see I'd the posts are not shorting on the bottom panel.

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I remember that episode very well. I cannot check that right now but it is next when I eliminate a bunch of other stuff first. Thanks

21. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Well best of luck to you. I am sure you will find the issue.

22. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It sounds like you have ruled out the Motronic ECU, the cat ECU and spark (from your PM to me yesterday) - that leaves fuel. Verify the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and fuel pressure regulator are operating correctly for that bank.

23. jal

jal Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2009
    MA.
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to hijack thread as I'm having similar problem w./1-4 in my T though. I'm narrowed down to fuel injector circuitry as fuel is in the rail (though no pressure was checked) and 12 vdc seen at fuel pump under car. is there a relay for the 4 injectors and where is it?

24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Behind the passenger side kick panel, in the footwell. At least that's where it is in a 348.

25. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    In the trunk on the Mondial. Remove the carpet panel on the firewall. and they are there on each side. Look at the pics earlier in this thread it shows them.