The Jalopnik flame thread | FerrariChat

The Jalopnik flame thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1 TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok Jalponik. We know you read here. In fact, you like to fish here for stories and blow them up over the internet for your personal pleasure (and profit). Witness what you did to our member ***348 a couple of years ago in spreading rumors that he was involved in insurance fraud. It turned out not to be true but that wouldn't matter to you.

Nice one. I'm sure you're very proud.

And, your rag of hate reaches no level of disgust. Witness today's headlines of a Ferrari crash. The hate you spew fuels internet trolls like moths to a flame. You are welcome to them.

It's your doing people that act this way. You encourage it. You foster it. You can't start a single story about Ferrari (good or bad) without saying "most stories about Ferrari begin with them in flames...".

Well, we've had it. And, a lot of auto enthusiasts have caught up with you. You're childish approach to covering auto news has black listed you from many manufacturers from now longer giving you access. Are you surprised? You shouldn't be.

I'm not suggesting any kind of boycott. That would also be childish. But, what will happen is the natural loss of real enthusiasts over time who no longer find your antics amusing anymore. Like the bully who picks on everyone around him, it's funny at first. It's sickening later.

So, let me show you your future. Fewer and fewer adults will visit your sight. More and more 14 year old boys with not much to do will replace them. The advertisers who support you will find that fewer and fewer sales will come of their advertising dollars. Then, they will cut back. Slowly, your website of hate will die.

On that day, real car enthusiasts will celebrate and those 14 year old boys will go back to TMZ to make obscene comments about Paris Hilton.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    I would just like to point out that all those hateful comments that are in your screenshot are from commenters on Jalopnik, not the staff of Jalopnik. The text of the actual article really just relates the facts of the crash. It doesn't insinuate or assume anything.

I can be very difficult to control anonymous commenters on the internet, and I don't believe that you can necessarily judge a site for their behavior. Look at Youtube for instance... the comments on many videos are downright racist, bigoted, violent and disgusting. I think this is the reason that Youtube is moving towards a "use your real name" policy. People act strange when they gain anonymity and a large audience. They say things that they would not say otherwise.

Now, as I understand it, Jalopnik has made comments in the past about Ferrari that have been deemed inappropriate. That may be the case, I don't really follow Jalopnik so I don't know. My comments are about this specific article that you've brought up only.

3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Subscribed lol.....

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Envy is a terrible affliction. It will eventually eat you.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    I have to agree there's nothing to warrant any venom toward Jalopnik from this particular article... I just read the article out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about...
    the article was a straight forward comment about an incident looking for further information... there was no speculation as to what caused the incident or that even the driver could have been wearing the "wrong hat"... if it were an econo-box beater of a car no one would have noticed... any high value thing gets attention regardless brand... someone must have messed with the mayors wheaties this morning...:=)

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  7. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    "Flame" thread?

:D. :D

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Please.... defend these trolls. These are the "editors" who lurk here and find interesting tid bits from your converstations and spread their dirt on their website for fun and profit.

You're being used -- and they love it.

It's time for people to step up and say enough is enough. If they cannot stand to say these types of comments are not disgusting, then we must.

Posting disgusting remarks about accidents, injuries, "car-be-ques" and mishaps are only fun for the readers of Jalopnik, the editors who love the ad clicks.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The comments you object to are from people who read the articles not Jalopnik. When someone crashes a Ferrari it's news. People have opinions and post them. Kinda of like Ferrari Chat. If you have something to say about one of their articles you should post a comment there where a lot more people will see it than here.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they do usually give FerrariChat and the users credit when they do it. there are plenty of links to FerrariChat on Jalopnik.

I don't have a major problem with them, they are often just the National Enquirer of car news and that sells more than legit news.

I'll share one experience and it really isn't Jalopnik to blame.

When the F40 crashed in Houston last year I had some phone calls from sources that had direct information on the crash. They said not to share anything of the story and I didn't. Jalopnik tried to get it out of me and I wouldn't. Well, the person who told me not to share and didn't want to post it on FerrariChat was more than willing to share with Jalopnik!?! I personally knew this person, have let him get away with mild commercial spamming for years, and he has been a user since before Jalopnik was around. Explain how Jalopnik got him to squeal to them? He certainly didn't need any payola. **** if I ever do anything for that prick again.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334794

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #11 Napolis, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Rob in all fairness when they send over the three Jalopnik girls dressed as the girls dress at Burning Man it is very hard to resist...

NWS unless you work at Jalopnik.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea3RAkGqYC8&feature=share[/ame]

12. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    #12 jcroeth, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    I wasn't defending anybody I was just saying that there is a difference between the author of an article and the random people who comment on it.

True, those comments are pretty vile, but like I said... it's random people on the internet. What are you gonna do about it?

I guess you're trying to say that Jalopnik should take responsibility for the content of user comments? Well, that is a good idea, however it's pretty difficult to implement. This is problem that ALL major sites (that allow comments) have. I used Youtube earlier as an example, but really, this problem is everywhere. Certainly not just Jalopnik.

This old webcomic perfectly sums up what I'm trying to say:

Edit: Sorry for the NSFW language in the comic. I hope that's ok, I don't know the rules regarding that. I'll take it down if asked.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, for starters they could stop fostering it with their own snide remarks. They could monitor posts. They could say "hey guys, this ain't right".

If there were a Jalopnik version of Web MD, it would run the title story: "Your grandma has cancer. Hey! One less smoker in this world!"

Then some comments would be: "Good. She never loved you anyway". "About time. She's old. Put her under already." "Oh boy! Time to invest in funeral home stock!". "All these smokers should just be put to death now."

14. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    I think the problem is, as we all know, there are some people in the world who take a negative attitude towards someone with an exotic car, especially Ferrari. The proof of this is in that thread from a week ago where people were talking about the fact that they can't take their Ferrari to work because their coworkers would take a bad attitude towards them.

Now, when you add those kind of sentiments to the anonymity of the internet (as I mentioned before), you get comments like the ones on this Jalopnik article.

I get where you're coming from, but to be honest, the only way to stop comments like these is to just not allow commenting at all. It's a sad fact of the nature of the internet.

15. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Linkedin seems to be the only site that doesnt have these issues. They have thousands of subgroups that are all clean since people have their real names up for the most part.

16. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    Yeah. Real names make a big difference. Also (correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't use LinkedIn), people use that a lot for professional networking. So they have an incentive to act responsibly on the network.

17. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    They do but they have 1000s of subgroups that are turning into little mini forums.

18. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    Also I would just like to add:

I really hope those people in the car are ok. It looks like a bad crash.

I think someone posted in another thread that they were at the same "Cars and Coffee" event or something? Does anyone know if they're alright?

19. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    someone posted on that website in the comments he saw the owner pictured outside the car.

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    He posted that he "suspected" the owner was there.

21. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    Thats what texting get's you in a ferrari

22. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    OMG Becky! I soar it on Jalopnik... it must be true!

If it bleeds it reads right? Sad, sloppy journalism that ends up with as many retractions as articles published.

24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX