Need Help with 348 Intake removal | FerrariChat

Need Help with 348 Intake removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by jjstecher, Jan 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Guys as always I need some help. :) I am in the process of taking apart the intake manifold on the 348 to do some porting for the hell of it and have run into a little snag.

I am just trying to take off the upper section of the mainifold not the runners that are connected to the heads themselves. My problem is the damn valve that sits between the two chambers is blocking my ability to pull the two sections apart. It appears that there is a nut on the bottom of the rod that the valve is attached to but it is locked into place it appears and I cannot figure out how to get it off.

I just stared at it last night for an hour or so and am bored here at work so figured I would post and see if anyone else has had their's off or knows of any tips for getting the two pieces to separate so I can remove them from the car.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #2 Miltonian, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, John: I have no firsthand experience with this, but looking at the parts book, it appears that there IS a nut on the bottom of the vertical butterfly shaft, and the same nut holds the linkage onto the shaft. I found a picture in one of my books. You can see the nut in question at top center. It's obviously necessary to find it by feel, you're not going to get your head in there. And there are quite a number of springs, spacers, and washers that go onto the bottom of that shaft. It may end up being easier to just pull the intake runners as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Jeff - Thanks for the pic. I at least now remember what it looks like underneath and took some time tonight trying to figure out how to get at the nut. The b*tch of it is that there is a metal lock bent over the nut to hold it in place that I cannot seem to move for the life of me to get the socket around the nut. I didnt get to start looking at it till late tonight so I only put in about 30 minutes on it cause the garage was to damn cold as well. I will give it another whril tomorrow when I have more time. Otherwise I might just have to take the whole damn thing off...the fuel rails are such a pain however that I want to avoid it.

John

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here is what you need to do to take the top part of the plenum off.

1) Remove the air box

2) Remove the oil filter, and cover the opening

3) Remove both of the connectors that are attached to the sides of the intake up under the plenum

The above steps allow you room to get you hand under the plenum. If you don't do this you will have to take the entire intake off to get to the bolt, and it is a big time pain.

4) Remove the nut that is on the bottom of the plenum. You don't need to worry about the lock washer, the nut comes right off, just use an open end wrench to get it loose.

5) Remove the rest of the nuts that hold the top of the plenum to the intake runners

6) Disconnect the throttle bodies, and vacume lines, then take the top of the plenum off.

Happy Wrenching

P.S. you don't have to worry about the shaft fitting through any hole. The intake runners are two separate parts, the top is what keeps them together. Well that and the 20 bolts that hold them to the heads. LOL.

5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    How are you porting the manifold?

6. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Ernie - Thanks as always. I can get to the damn nut but the lock ring seems to be blocking her from turning at all. Its about 5 degrees in my garage tonight so once again I didnt spend much time working on it tonight. Damn garage heater not working is killing me! :)

Rivee - As far as the intake porting goes I have done it before on a few old small block chevy's with TPI manifolds. The intake is fairly simple to port as they are cast in most cases and have a lot of rough spots. It basically a matter of smoothing out those rough spots and trying to get it all smooth with removing the smallest amount of metal possible. I would dare attempt heads for the simple fact that tolerences are a hell of a lot smaller but there is a lot of excess meat in the intake that I can screw with.
    I wish I had a flow bench for testing it as my friend in my old home town had one which allowed us to verify all the work on the SB Chevy intakes. I really learned that no matter what you do its hard to make an intake flow worse than a cast stock one.