Why won't American F430 have launch control? | FerrariChat

Why won't American F430 have launch control?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dantenfw, Aug 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantenfw

dantenfw Karting

Jun 2, 2004
    The 360 Stradale and Enzo both had launch control mode. Car & Driver said "liability issues" were the concern. Don't tell me Ferrari's L/C system was scared off of our shores by the ambulance chasers and regulacrats like BMW's L/C on its SMG gearbox was.

Could you import one through Canada? Or do they not get it either?

On a larger note, not only can America no longer produce world-class products, but companies are scared to sell theirs here? If that's the case we should just change our name to New France.

2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    As I said in this thread, I looked through a US Enzo owners manual and I couldn't find a Launch Control button or mode.Of course I could be wrong.
    Do you have a picture of the Launch Control button on an Enzo??

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69694

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    We don't get a lot of goodies the rest of the World does.
    We can thank the Hyenas in Art's profession.....

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    my understanding, but don't quote me on this, is that it's primarily about the warranty coverage. i understood that the BMW stuff that went to court basically resulted in them NOT being able to limit the number of uses under which they'd cover warranty damage. so you could LC your car 100 times a day and they'd be liable for a new clutch. if that's what happened, it's idiotic, but **** happens.

with the enzo and CS they could quantify this warranty liability and price it in because of the very limited production shipped to the US. the 430 will easily be the most produced ferrari ever, so that warranty liability would be humungous for them.

again, i'm not certain about this. hopefully someone knows the real deal, but that's my understanding based on a variety of sources - none of which are FNA.

doody.

5. dantenfw

dantenfw Karting

Jun 2, 2004
    Apparently Enzo's launch control was activated automatically by turning off TCS, pressing the brake pedal then pressing the gas to whatever revs you wanted then realeasing the brake which the computer would take as its cue to engage the clutch.

360CS's (American) have a clear "LC" button on the center console

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'm pretty sure they don't offer it for liability reasons. If someone were to pack it in while using L/C the first thing they'd do is try to sue Ferrari. I highly doubt(although it's a benefit for them) that it's because of warranty issues as I'm sure that excessive use could be determined by pulling the cars puter and looking at the data.

7. Roughneck

Roughneck Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    LC on a F430 used more than 4 times results in a new clutch being required as it uses 25% clutch wear each time used... so i am told by a Ferrari salesman...

8. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sorry to be an idoit, but what is launch control?

9. enecks

enecks Karting

May 28, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Basically it's an enhanced form of traction control which allows the F1 clutch to engage with the optimal amount of wheelspin for the best possible acceleration from stop.

10. dantenfw

dantenfw Karting

Jun 2, 2004
    Car salesmen tend to be idiots no matter how fancy the clothes they wear. Rest-of-world F430's will still get L/C and any F430 owner would be able to replace its clutch with about 2 hours salary. A maneuver like launching will wear the clutch, but 25% sounds excessive.

I tend to think it's the litigious nature of the American market that has put Ferrari off as other posters have suggested.

11. deeroff

deeroff Karting
    BANNED

Jan 19, 2004
    I have to agree that 25% sounds like a lot of salesman BS. IF I did a holeshot with a stick it would not kill 25% of the clutch - maybe 1% - and if you doubled that, then 2-3% sure, but not 25%.

Funny how salesman who don't know the answer still manage to assert things authoritatively, don't they? Does not matter if it is Chevy or Ferrari........

12. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #12 Jack(LA), Aug 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I frankly don't see the need for L.C. (or track start assist as it's called on the Ferrari warning sticker) for street or track (not race) use. It merely abuses the clutch/drivetrain components, IMHO. I won't miss it on my 430, and I haven't used it on my CS. To each his own. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    i think we dont get LC because what i LC good for? exactly that, launcing the car. no isnt launcing something that you do in racing? isnt street racing illegal?

the government realized that there is no reason (safe or otherwise) in which a vehicle owner would need to accelerate to 60 (above most/all street speed limits) in 3.5 seconds. of course, for the same token, nobody should be able to drive more than a toyota prius, because you only need to accelerate to 65 by the end of the on-ramp and never need to go above 75

i think its somewhat hypocritical to allow ferraris (and the like) but disallow their LC system, obviously ferrari owners are somewhat responsible since they drive a car the is worth more than some peoples' house. oh wait, we're talking about the government, hypocritical was implied

14. deeroff

deeroff Karting
    BANNED

Jan 19, 2004
    I think people are getting hung up on the 0-60 times in the US mags that are slower than those in Europe - probably because of the lack of LC.

Frankly, I am getting a manual and don't care but those who are fixated on 0-60 are clamoring..................

15. dantenfw

dantenfw Karting

Jun 2, 2004
    I know what you mean. It's just something silly/cool to play with, but for $180K an AMerican market car should still get the option. The issue under MY skin is really the legal/regulatory overberance that, if it scares off BMW and Ferrari, must be beseiging smaller innovative companies to no end.

16. Sh4rkAttk

Sh4rkAttk Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    So. Cal
    What we need to do now is find out how to reactivate the L.C. feature on the F430.

17. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL 25%, Im not one to mock but thats absurd. Ive launched my CS countless times with LC. I know the discussion regards the 430 but I cant see there being too much of a difference ?

18. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    A Ferrari saleman (UK) told me that if you use LC more than 4 times, it invalidates the warranty!

That sounds like nonsense; why put a feature on a car that can only be used 4 times in its lifetime?

FYI, the LC button on the F430 merely gives you "manual" control of when you can engage the clutch. There is no traction control element or optimum wheelspin control.

It was reported in a magazine that when testing the F430s in Italy and getting the fast 0-60 times, there was a special, secret "button combo" that enabled true F1-style launch control.

19. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You are close. I just read the whole Enzo manual.

In "Race" mode and with "ASR" disengaged you press down on the accelerator very rapidly, down to the stroke limit and the departure will be a "Performance start".

Do not "rev the engine" during departures.

I read a thread a while back about programing the 360 Modena to do a performance start, so I'm sure you could do the same thing in a F430.

20. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    That sounds like a system similar to the Gallardo's e-gear launch system (that doesn't feature a specific LC button). Unfortunately in that 4wd car, it tends to break drive-shafts; don't ask me how I know...

21. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    "Track Start Assist" on a Challenge Stradale.
    1) Depress the brake
    2) Engage first gear
    3) Press "ASR" button to deativate
    4) Press the "Race" button
    5) Press "Track Start Assist" button (LC)
    6) The driver can choose to accelerate with the vehicle stopped by kepping the brake depressed until the desired engine speed for departure is reached and then, upon release of the brake, to reach the best performance from a standing start.
    This is made possible by an optimized strategy that adapts the clutch to those engine speeds.

22. Sh4rkAttk

Sh4rkAttk Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    So. Cal
    No one knows how to reactivate the L.C. on the U.S. F430's?