Oil pressure problem in 348? | FerrariChat

Oil pressure problem in 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by J Moberg, Oct 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J Moberg

J Moberg Rookie

Jul 5, 2005
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Hi all,
    I have a problem with my oilpressure. When driving slow and at low revs the reading is ok. But under acceleration, when the revs go past say 4000 rpm, then suddenly the oilpressure reading starts to accelerate too. The needle goes all the way to the end of scale and sometimes even beyond that. When I stop accelerate the pressure reading slowly returns to normal values. When driving at same revs for a longer period the reading sometimes slowly starts to go up and then suddenly fall back again. I have been searching this forum without results.

2. CTM

CTM Karting

Aug 5, 2004
    New York, Catskills
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Sounds like a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I had it happen and got a new one installed for $115.00 by an independent.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Welcome to Ferrari Chat, Mr. Moberg!

It would seem that the most likely source of your problem is the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge, which is located at the front of the oil filter housing. It is Ferrari part #135940.

Inside the sump, as part of the oil pump housings, there is both an oil pressure adjusting valve and an oil overpressure check valve. There is at least a possibility that something is wrong with one of these, but I don't think it's likely unless you have let your oil get REALLY nasty, or someone assembled them incorrectly.

The first thing to do is just make sure that your oil level is correct, checking it with the proper procedure as described in the manual, and that your sending unit has a nice clean, tight electrical connection. Have you noticed any changes in the fuel level reading when the oil pressure reading is acting up? That might be an indication of a problem in the instrument panel area.

The only way to test for sure would be to hook up a mechanical gauge on the engine and get direct readings on the pressure. It is supposed to operate at 78 to 92 psi (5.5 to 6.5 kp/cm2) with the engine at 6000 rpm and oil temperature at 212 F. (100 C.).

Let us know what happens.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Can you describe your basic setup, as in, when was your last oil change (miles, date), what brand of oil filter, oil level when hot, oil brand/type/and rating, oil temperature when the problem is visible, water temp at that time, etc.?

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

6. J Moberg

J Moberg Rookie

Jul 5, 2005
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Hi again,
    Changing the oil pressure sending unit solved the problem.

Thank you all for your help.

/Johan